Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Though not a power user as some of you I looked at JD and Kubota, both well supported here, and landed on Kubota. I have not been disappointed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
DF, thanks for the reply, good info.

Guess I really don't care what color they are either so long as they don't break down.....grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'd be more worried about finding parts(10-20 years from now...) than anything.

I remember a number of years ago (maybe 30 or so) there was interest in a "new" tractor in our area, the Belarus. It was cheap, sorta crude compared to other tractors, but cheap. Lots of power for the buck. Looked like something from the past, but cheap...

You see some dealers on line, mostly in Europe and Russia, some up North. None locally. No Belarus seen around here for years, no one talking about/thinking about Belarus.

DF

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi guys,
I have a JD 1050, that was made in the 80's. It's a Yanmar, 33 HP, 3 cyl. diesel with loader bucket and back hoe attachments. John Deere no longer carries a lot of the parts. I had to go to Yanmar and a scrap yard in PA to get wheels when I switched from turf tires to agg tires. I have the mounted turf tires for sale, really cheap, if anyone happens to be interested.

I also had an early '40's H Model International and I could go to Warner's in Troy,PA, the local tractor dealer and get almost anything I needed. Kinda soured me on the JD's. I agree with the comment about making sure you can get parts down the line.
Lou

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My dad worked for Belarus as a mechanic. They were brought into the US via port of Milwaukee on lake michigan as well as whatever port in Louisiana. They were just junk. Pretty much every tractor brought had to be rebuilt before they could sell it. Biggest problem was parts. Getting parts was difficult and most times they would not fit. The Russians working there would always say "bad prisoner" when they got parts they did not fit.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Mike,

That's pretty consistent with the Belarus stories floating around here.

So, to the Cabelas/TYM buyers, do your homework. Be sure you have a TYM dealer close by and he's not just a lawn mower shop with a TYM sign hanging in his window. Ask about (go look at) his service dept., ask about parts, trained factory mechanics, factory support, etc.

If the answers don't satisfy fully, the tractor may not either, especially down the stretch with the test of time.

If in doubt, DON'T...

We're now seeing Mahindra tractors locally. They're supported by a major dealer and may be OK. Even Rush Limbaugh is promoting them, reportedly the biggest tractor manufacturer in the world. One guy I talked to had problems with an engine, got the run around from his dealer (not ours, in another town). So, I don't know, jury is still out on those.

Bottom line, buyer beware...

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Mike,

That's pretty consistent with the Belarus stories floating around here.

So, to the Cabelas/TYM buyers, do your homework. Be sure you have a TYM dealer close by and he's not just a lawn mower shop with a TYM sign hanging in his window. Ask about (go look at) his service dept., ask about parts, trained factory mechanics, factory support, etc.

If the answers don't satisfy fully, the tractor may not either, especially down the stretch with the test of time.

If in doubt, DON'T...

We're now seeing Mahindra tractors locally. They're supported by a major dealer and may be OK. Even Rush Limbaugh is promoting them, reportedly the biggest tractor manufacturer in the world. One guy I talked to had problems with an engine, got the run around from his dealer (not ours, in another town). So, I don't know, jury is still out on those.

Bottom line, buyer beware...

DF

The Mahindras are OK. Good local support here, and parts isn't an issue. Had to get a windshield for mine last fall when a rock went through it as I was trailering it. mad

It was a good test of support on the dealership. They did a good job.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good to hear.

SUPPORT, as you noted, IS the key...

I rest my case...

DF

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'd rather have a 20-30 year old John Deere.

I have a 10 yr old Kabota . Does that count? But in all honesty, why would anyone buy a tractor from a clothing store? About 5 mi. away from our nearest Cabelas, there is a respectable John Deere dealer. Anything from a 20 horse lawn mower to a Johne Deere 9200 series. They work on everything they sell.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Having run several brands of tractors over many years, I'd never buy one, especially an "off brand", without a local dealer. I googled TYM dealers and found one locally. I don't know anything about this dealer. I would check him out thoroughly before buying one of these tractors.

If you check out the dealer, are satisfied he's not a "fly by night" operator, has a good service department and is well thought of in the community, then one of these closeout tractors may be the ticket.

Buyer beware...

Service, with any tractor, makes or breaks the deal for me.

IMO.

DF
Spot on...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
YTM tractors are Korean-at least that is what the dealer told me.

I don't know if anybody really knows this, but there are NO American-owned tractor companies anymore-sad.

I would not even consider a tractor that does not have good local, dealer support no matter who made it.

Unless I win the lottery, my old 656 Farmall will have to do!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
TYM's are Korean, mine has a 40hp Kubota diesel, front end loader, 4WD, and is a work horse. When I bought it there WAS a local dealer, who told me a lot of the major parts were made by Mahindra. Sadly, when I needed something (minor) about a year later, the dealer had dumped TYM and gone to another imported brand. The tractor has performed very well, does everything I've asked of it. I pull a Rhino "brush hog" or shredder mower (your choice of common names), and use it for clearing underbrush in the woods.

We were prepared to buy Deere, dealer did not seem interested in making a sale - although that cold have been the salesman.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sbhooper
YTM tractors are Korean-at least that is what the dealer told me.

I don't know if anybody really knows this, but there are NO American-owned tractor companies anymore-sad.
??? Deere is an American-owned corporation..

I would not even consider a tractor that does not have good local, dealer support no matter who made it.

Unless I win the lottery, my old 656 Farmall will have to do!
Isn't that one of the last gas tractors they made? We used a 656 for a few days back in the '70s when our 560D was having some work.. I've never ran a tractor so damned thirsty for gas.. I swear it ran through 10 gal/hour..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Lee,

I think the confusion is American owned vs. American mfg.

Most tractors, as I pointed out in an earlier post, are of international mfg, regardless where they're assembled, regardless of the company's country of origin. Check out those parts, they come from everywhere.

My current JD was assembled in the State of GA, using parts from Europe and elsewhere.

DF

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
John Deere tractors under 30 horsepower or so are made in Japan.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
We used a 656 for a few days back in the '70s when our 560D was having some work.. I've never ran a tractor so damned thirsty for gas.. I swear it ran through 10 gal/hour..

Yeah,

You just don't see gas tractors of any size, diesel is so much more efficient in such an application.

The old 9-N Fords did pretty well, but didn't have the lugging power of a diesel. My Dad had one back in the 50's, also an Oliver Super 55 gas burner. The Super 55 was better than the 9-N, was a pretty good Bush Hog tractor, had a live PTO.

In all my years of fooling with tractors, I never had anything but diesels.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brother has a 55hp John Deere compact. One neighbor is a mechanic for the dealer, he told us that it's a Mahindra with green paint. Said most parts even have the same part # in either parts book.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that Cabela's might have started the tractor line to be a one stop shopping destination for people with acreages who wanted to do their on food plots. We'll probably buy another bulletproof Indian Mahindra, rather than go into the unknown future with Cabela's Chinese tractors.

I am that guy they are targeting. I drive right by a Cabelas with several pretty tractors sitting in the parking lot on the way to my farm a couple times a week.

I'm currently buying a tractor + implements and it's a Kubota. Didn't even consider the Cabela's line.

I went into the Cabelas after it opened and occasionally use the "ship to store" option on products I can't find elsewhere. Otherwise the fact it is located adjacent to our local theme park is all you really need to know.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems their "target" is the suburbanite who has a lease and needs to take care of food plots, cut weeds and brush, etc. They'll sell him a nice trailer to haul his pretty new tractor.

Guys like that generally have resources and aren't "tractor savvy" like some of us more "seasoned citizens" who've been around the block a few times with tractors... blush

Don't think they'd sell many of those tractors to contributors here... wink

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Seems their "target" is the suburbanite who has a lease and needs to take care of food plots, cut weeds and brush, etc. They'll sell him a nice trailer to haul his pretty new tractor.

Guys like that generally have resources and aren't "tractor savvy" like some of us more "seasoned citizens" who've been around the block a few times with tractors... blush

Don't think they'd sell many of those tractors to contributors here... wink

DF

Guys like that have no business with a 75hp tractor anyway.

Accident waiting to happen. Throw in some serious implements, and it gets worse. eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.