Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 24 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 23 24
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I'm a believer in heaven and hell but I'm real skeptical of all the near death stuff. It doesn't seem scriptural,...

There're lots of things in our lives, in the world, and in the universe, that aren't mentioned in scripture.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB4

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I'm a believer in heaven and hell but I'm real skeptical of all the near death stuff. It doesn't seem scriptural, and I think there is tremendous possibility for spiritual deceit.

Think about all the crazy things you've dreamed about. Consider how something as simple as cold medicine, the wrong vitamins, or what someone watched on TV before bed can mess with their dreams....then extrapolate what almost dying could do to one's brain state.....

Our reasons may be different, but I don't grant any revelatory power to near death experiences either.

Ive never dreamt about someone/something I didn't know.....or places I did not know.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Bristoe, could you explain that?

I'm saying that clearly the brain isn't "dying" in the cases Doc relates; it's instead going into a state of some sort. A seizure or similar.

That's not really an affirmation of my beliefs; it's more a statement of physical reality... no?

You said Doc has preconceived ideas,...you have preconceived ideas.

As for Physical reality,..you didn't give any scientific explanation of physical reality.

You just kind of stammered around saying, "Well,...this happened,..then that happened,..and then the other thing happened because of something,..but basically it just sounds like Doc has some preconceived ideas."

You've got an opinion,...that's all.

Don't forget that Doc himself said there's 7 seconds of consciousness (oxygen) in the brain if the heart stops. That's the physical reality I'm talking about. Physically, someone who goes into arrhythmia then is shocked back to a normal sinus rhythm mere seconds later- again, as stated by Doc in his OP- that person did not die. They may have experienced something, but death it was not, at least in terms of the physical realities that Doc himself outlines.

I don't deny the possibility of heaven and hell. But what a brain experiences during a time that all hell is breaking loose in the autonomous nervous system, AND their brain goes into some sort of "state" that clearly not physical death, is hardly proof.

7 seconds. I can't even put an AED on someone in 7 seconds and have it go through its paces.....

I don't even know for sure, that in an ER, if the pads where there, could they charge em to shock someone in 7 seconds....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rost495
I'm a believer in heaven and hell but I'm real skeptical of all the near death stuff. It doesn't seem scriptural, and I think there is tremendous possibility for spiritual deceit.

Think about all the crazy things you've dreamed about. Consider how something as simple as cold medicine, the wrong vitamins, or what someone watched on TV before bed can mess with their dreams....then extrapolate what almost dying could do to one's brain state.....

Our reasons may be different, but I don't grant any revelatory power to near death experiences either.

Ive never dreamt about someone/something I didn't know.....or places I did not know.....

I have. In fact I'm certain I've never met a zombie.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hear Italian hell is the WORSE. You are stuck in an Irish bar for eternity and every day is St. Paddy's Day.

Kinda wish I was Italian...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I've never dreamt about someone/something I didn't know.....or places I did not know.....

I have dremt about many people and places I've never visited nor seen.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't even know for sure, that in an ER, if the pads where there, could they charge em to shock someone in 7 seconds....

Easily.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I once dreamed of a girl who I hadn't seen in years. We weren't all that close before she moved. I knew no one who knew her. There was no reason for me to even think about her, much less dream about her. The very next day, I practically ran into her walking down the street. I've tried to explain that one my whole life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JoeBob, I had an experience last year that simply defied coincidence. I've only shared it with a few close friends. It was WEIRD. Rattled me pretty good.

I am not an a-spiritual person. Is that a word? However, when talking of things in the paranormal realm, like heaven and hell, I approach it from a skeptical viewpoint, largely because much of not MOST of "religion" is just such blatant pandering to what folks want to believe, in addition to serving the interests of those in charge of said religions and/or the governments in league with those religions.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Jeff, The fact you use "spiritual-person" and religious interchangeably is indicative of a very confused person. Some of the most spiritual people I've known had little use for organized religion. Conversely, some of the most religious people I've known were the least "spiritual" most hollow souls. Organized religion has done a lot of bad PR because of mans greed. Please don't turn your back on God and his spiritual creation because of church and the folks that take up space in its pews. I grew up in church but over time and experience I realized my relationship with God was a personal one. One that didn't require other people present nor my attendance in church. I rarely attend church in the usual sense but when I'm on the ocean or in the mountains I'm as close to God as I've ever been. Certainly I'm closer than I am when sitting next to hypocrites and cheaters.

In any case I hope you'll find the spirituality that I believe to be an important component to the human animal. Let go of the disdain for religion and seek God.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aces, I think we are on the same page. It's quite possible to be spiritual without being dogmatically religious.

My comment had to do with the concepts of heaven and hell, as presented to us by a religion. Those who are in the business of selling religion would have a hard time moving their product if it didn't include such features as "an eternity of blissful afterlife with those you love!" and "72 virgins!" and so on... and those in the business of control would find it more difficult without the notion of a fiery lake of eternal suffering for disbelievers. And of course, those in the business of selling religion are usually, not always, but usually, also in the business of control.

So..... when something is put forth as PROOF of heaven or hell, it carries that baggage.

Back on topic.... I'd bet the farm that if the brains of those folks suffering these arrhythmias and "dying" were hooked up to those gadgets that show neural activity, they'd scan as anything BUT dead. They'd be lit up like an Xmas tree, and I'd venture, very similarly to how they light up if they were having a seizure.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D

Back on topic.... I'd bet the farm that if the brains of those folks suffering these arrhythmias and "dying" were hooked up to those gadgets that show neural activity, they'd scan as anything BUT dead. They'd be lit up like an Xmas tree, and I'd venture, very similarly to how they light up if they were having a seizure.

Jeff, read the book cited in the OP and then get back to me on that bet.

Oh, and can I get some details on the size of your farm, acreage, water, soil conditions, buildings, etc? I want to start planning early.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I've never dreamt about someone/something I didn't know.....or places I did not know.....

Interesting, they claim some folks dream more and more vividly. I rarely dream IE that I can recall and as far as I can recall i've never dreamed about a place or person I do not or have not known.

The dreams have been doing some weird things as I recall, but the folks and places I knew.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc, you don't want the farm. One big pain in the butt. The shop needs a new roof, the barn stalls need shoveled out, the chickens are in full rebellion over getting their wings clipped to keep them out of the garden, and the Missus is a slave driver. smile

I was referring specifically to the case you mention of the "lights out defib"... is that what the book refers to?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

A guy I knew when I was a kid went to Africa. He met a witch doctor and they became friends. The witch doctor was old and became very ill so they put him on a bed or pallet. After awhile, even though he was extremely weak and almost dead, he raised himself up a little with his elbows and tried to push himself away from the foot of his pallet. He screamed out,
“Help me! Help me! My feet are sliding into the fire! Help me! Now my legs are in the fire!” With those words, he collapsed and died.

This happened in the mid 1950's before missionaries went there. One could correctly or incorrectly assume he never heard of Hell.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
antelope_sniper,

A guy I knew when I was a kid went to Africa. He met a witch doctor and they became friends. The witch doctor was old and became very ill so they put him on a bed or pallet. After awhile, even though he was extremely weak and almost dead, he raised himself up a little with his elbows and tried to push himself away from the foot of his pallet. He screamed out,
“Help me! Help me! My feet are sliding into the fire! Help me! Now my legs are in the fire!” With those words, he collapsed and died.

This happened in the mid 1950's before missionaries went there. One could correctly or incorrectly assume he never heard of Hell.

Christians have been in Africa for a long time. Your American friend was in his location, you think that in 1950 he was the first White person to meet this Witch Doctor?

Based on your story it sounds like they were speaking English? I"m not seeing much to support your supposition he'd never heard of Hell.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Interesting, they claim some folks dream more and more vividly. I rarely dream IE that I can recall and as far as I can recall I've never dreamed about a place or person I do not or have not known.

The dreams have been doing some weird things as I recall, but the folks and places I knew.

Roost,

I think this may be another example of times when attempting to extend our experiences to others may lead us astray. As another example, I dream in color, but others claim to only dream in black and white.

As for how often do we dream, some scientist believe we have a tendency to remember our dreams more when we do not complete a full REM cycle. The better you sleep, the less you remember. Perhaps you are have a tendency to sleep well most nights?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AS
Paul spoke the language. He translated into English for me and I quoted his English.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Roost,

I think this may be another example of times when attempting to extend our experiences to others may lead us astray. As another example, I dream in color, but others claim to only dream in black and white.

As for how often do we dream, some scientist believe we have a tendency to remember our dreams more when we do not complete a full REM cycle. The better you sleep, the less you remember. Perhaps you are have a tendency to sleep well most nights? [/quote]

I dont' sleep well at all. I rarely ever get more than an hour at a time. If I get 3 hours at one time I am extremely thankful.

I have no clue about color, I suppose since I don't have a clue its black and white?

Who knows I may dream something tonight where I dont' know the folks or the place.

Funny seems like my dreams are always something thats happened, something that will happen or is planned in the future or at weirdest, folks and places that I know, but don't add up, IE the scenario isn't planned or has not happened...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Lots of folks have good reason to not acknowledge or to be dismissive on the subject of hell. But, it's real, whether you like it or not.

Page 14 of 24 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 60 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,944
Posts18,480,168
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.