Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 24 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 23 24
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gunner500,

Okay, what were their real names, no one was named Paul, John, Luke, Mark, Matthew etc etc in that part of the world.

Your post almost made me laugh. My friends name was Paul. Even if he told me his witch doctor friends name I would not remember it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I believe much evil springs from the notion of an immortal soul.

Like the notion that someone blow up a bunch of people that think differently then themselves, and be rewarded with an eternity in Paradise?

What could possibly go wrong with that?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Like the notion that someone blow up a bunch of people that think differently then themselves, and be rewarded with an eternity in Paradise?

There's been a lot of evil in modern world history that had nothing to do with the notion of an immortal soul...the regimes of Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot...where many millions were killed during each regime, and 2 World Wars...where many millions were killed during each war. None of it had anything to do with the notion of an immortal soul.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers

There's been a lot of evil in modern world history that had nothing to do with the notion of an immortal soul...the regimes of Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot...where many millions were killed during each regime, and 2 World Wars...where many millions were killed during each war. None of it had anything to do with the notion of an immortal soul.

I did not say it was the root of all evil, just demonstrated one common failing of that mode of thinking.

As for the regimes you mention, I'll say you are making a good case for small, limited government.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell is eternity without God. Heaven is Eternity with God.

That is their description of Hell, from their pamphlet. They believe that in the end, except for a certain number that is listed in the Bible, that heaven for the rest will be here on earth. I don't know much about the religion but did look over some pamphlets while sitting and watching a GPS unit for long periods of time. Boredom will make you do things like that. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did not say it was the root of all evil, just demonstrated one common failing of that mode of thinking.

How many billions of people on our earth maintain a notion of an immortal soul, and what percentage of those billions are 'blowing up a buncha people who think differently than them so they can be rewarded in an afterlife'...and then show us how you've "demonstrated" that doing so is a "common failing of that mode of thinking"...?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Watched a Nat Geo show the other day called “Return from the Dead.”
Every near-death experience has been easily repeated in the lab.
Name any NDE sensation and they have done it by tricking the brain into partially shutting down.
The show is scheduled to repeat Sunday morning.

EXCEPT for the NDE of kids. Kids that don't know, have never seen, know no names, etc....

But for those that don't believe there are plenty of other threads going on......

The show was worth a second look. As a lifelong Agnostic who believes what he see in nature, but knows he will never understand it all; I had hoped the the NDE people were on to something.

Science never has all the answers. There was little in the show to explain NDE of kids. But there is a preponderance of evidence explaining what happens to the mind when the brain begins to shut down.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One evil I will cite, inherent in the notion of an immortal soul, is that of being separate and discrete rather than being a part of "what is".

I am proud and in awe of where I'm from, profoundly grateful for the run I'm getting, and it will be my great honor to give myself back to "what is" for recycling.

A common core "religious" belief, so core that that it's often hard for folks to even SEE it in themselves, is that they are this special little being with someone watching over them and the world is revolving around THEM. Evil lies therein. I don't believe that. I came from a place of beauty, and someday, I get to return to it! That's a scientific fact, no God required, yet it's a profoundly calming viewpoint, if understood and accepted.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by olblue
Originally Posted by gunner500
I slept 9 hrs like a rock last night Rost, wonder what kind on inner peace I posses?

If I could do that, I'd have some peace I know! LOL.

The only place I can sleep most of the night is in Alaska for some reason. When we get there, and crawl in the sleeping bags, its just natural to be able to sleep a full night every night we are there....

Would that be in June or July? grin wink --- Mel

mid to late september so far generally... June/July gets hot in the tents at times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A common core "religious" belief, so core that that it's often hard for folks to even SEE it in themselves, is that they are this special little being with someone watching over them and the world is revolving around THEM.

What "common core religious belief" are you exposed to..."so core"...that those practitioners of it feel as if "the world is revolving around THEM"...?

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sleeping good in the north country is attributed to low RBC counts and hypovolemia. Mosquitoes are perhaps natures tryptophan...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Absolutely no doubt in my mind about the reality of Heaven and Hell. Thanks for sharing.

Me too

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
A common core "religious" belief, so core that that it's often hard for folks to even SEE it in themselves, is that they are this special little being with someone watching over them and the world is revolving around THEM.

What "common core religious belief" are you exposed to..."so core"...that those practitioners of it feel as if "the world is revolving around THEM"...?

Let's deal with the core of Christianity for a moment.

God created the entire Universe, billions of Galaxies, each with billions of starts, so he could have a relationship with one primate species on one spec of dirt. Keep in mind for centuries this narcissism extended to a belief that the earth was the center of the universe. God has the entire Universe to tend to, yet Christians believe God cares about with whom you sleep with, an in what positions, and if you paid the right priest for the right appropriations ahead of time.

The core belief Jeff speaks of is the narcissist belief that you are so special, the creator of all this, that looks just like you, somehow wants or needs a personal relationship with YOU.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
There is a 50/50 chance there is or is not a God. I prefer the safe bet.

Even if your 50/50 proposition was correct (which I don't think it is), Then you also have to get the right god.....So now your odds are way below 50%

He's a white, American Christian...of course he has the 'right god', dontcha know? laugh wink

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by olblue
Originally Posted by gunner500
I slept 9 hrs like a rock last night Rost, wonder what kind on inner peace I posses?

If I could do that, I'd have some peace I know! LOL.

The only place I can sleep most of the night is in Alaska for some reason. When we get there, and crawl in the sleeping bags, its just natural to be able to sleep a full night every night we are there....

What I was getting at the nights are awfully short that time of year . but we catch up with sleep in the winter. --- Mel
Would that be in June or July? grin wink --- Mel

mid to late september so far generally... June/July gets hot in the tents at times.

What I was referring to in the nights are pretty short that time of year. But we catch up on our sleep during winter. --- Mel

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well said, Sniper.

Further, Occam tells us that the simpler explanation of observed events is usually the correct one. What could possibly be more convoluted than our mainstream, established religions? And further still, common sense dictates that when an explanation or description of observed reality is utterly self-serving, it's very likely to be just a human construct that is being used to placate otherwise difficult realities.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

God created the entire Universe, billions of Galaxies, each with billions of starts, so he could have a relationship with one primate species on one spec of dirt. Keep in mind for centuries this narcissism extended to a belief that the earth was the center of the universe. God has the entire Universe to tend to, yet Christians believe God cares about with whom you sleep with, an in what positions, and if you paid the right priest for the right appropriations ahead of time.

The core belief Jeff speaks of is the narcissist belief that you are so special, the creator of all this, that looks just like you, somehow wants or needs a personal relationship with YOU.

Doncha know, the 'Universe' as you described it is the same red herring that God created, like the fossil record, to test the faith of true believers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff_O,

I came from a place of beauty, and someday, I get to return to it! That's a scientific fact, no God required, yet it's a profoundly calming viewpoint, if understood and accepted.

Scentific fact is established by observation, testing, verification, repeatablity. What you have posted is a self serving ignorant opinion. I use the work ignorant because you have not died and come back to tell us a TRUE observation.

antelope_sniper,

This shows your lack of education of the Christian faith. You listen to or read only those who agree with your position. The reason the universe appears to be infinite to us finites is for the God of the Bible to show us His Infinite Intelligent Energy is beyond mere mortal's concept. God's Word tells us He spans the stars with His right hand.

You want us to believe everything came from nothing which became something, all by itself. And this nothing which became something produced conscienceness in humans who somehow randomly believe in morality and beauty. You are constantly willfully ignorant of the basic scientific concept of an effect can not be equal to or greater than its cause.

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I have only gone back a couple of pages and feel pretty much un-inspired by the thread.

That said...anything ringman has to say will be bull-[bleep], and the rest of it boils down to "there is God, or there is not God", the choice is yours alone and who gives a toss what any other believes on the subject.

If ringman says it is daylight at 11.00 am then it would pay to walk outside and check because it is London to a brick the bastard is wrong.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff_O,

Further, Occam tells us that the simpler explanation of observed events is usually the correct one.

You bring up an interesting idea. Based on Occam's razor tell us which is a better explanation. Crick and Watson discovered the DNA molecule. Because they just can't abide the Creator they invented "pan sprmia" to explains it presents to on earth. That is spacemen brought it. That of course begs the question, where did they come from and adinfinitum... or to believe in the scientific concept of cause and effect? That is an Infinite Being, beyond your comprehension called it all into existence by His Personal Power.

Everyday Hunter
Page 17 of 24 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,921
Posts18,498,465
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.