Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Some 15-18 years back, there was a group of hogs that slipped up into McCreary County on the South end, which borders Tennessee.

There was an outfit who hunted them with dogs and SKS rifles. They snuffed them out, as far as I can tell. I am hearing that there are more hogs just South of the border again, and likely they will make their way north again.

I say all that to let you know, that in the scenario you describe, the SKS is an effective hog gun.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As a kid in FL, I used a Colt Woodsman and shot 50 or more hogs, til folks convinced me that wasn't enough gun. A couple years back while scouting my lease for bow season, I had a group of 10 or so perfect BBQ size (60-70#) walk across the road. Desperately searching for a gun, the only thing I had was a 2" Beretta 21 22lr.. Slipped around in front of them and shot one behind the ear @ 10 yds.. Done deal.. But my favorite is a short Sako in 6x47 I built some years back.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jwall
DF -

Yes there are hogs in a lot of places in Ark that I've heard about but I don't know of huntable numbers 'close' to me.

A 'hypothetical' situation.

IF a fellow had an SKS and ammo squirreled away for that STHUS (shut the heck up & shoot) day we hope never comes. But as with insurance he wants to be covered IF/WHEN it would be needed.

It seems to me that an SKS would be a great 'beater' in hog territory. IMO an SKS isn't a serious GROUP shooter but it seems to do a good job of hitting targets it was designed to hit.

In today's market what's SKS ammo bringing?

Jerry

Its a light 30-30... being I kill em all the time and fairly big ones with a 22... the SKS will work fine. I prefer them to an AK actually. I"ve seen some SKS shoot pretty decent, way better than AKs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
C T & Rost -

Thanks for the input.

This 'hypothetical' SKS shoots pretty good, esp. considering irons - not scoped.

I talked with a cousin and a couple of other guys this AM and they told me they didn't know of any 'huntable no.' of hogs near us.

That's good news/bad news so to speak. I'd love to hunt them but at the same time I don't want them destroying property where I and family/friends hunt.

Thanks Again

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have "matured" beyond the need/use for irons, am a scope man for the duration.

I have AR's, not too crazy about them. I have a custom Mini .223 that's a nice semi for such use.

I generally prefer a light bolt gun like my M-7/Brux .22-204 (7 twist) or my Mohawk/Shilen .22-250 (8 twist) , both with bullets around 75 gr.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/25/16.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have "matured" beyond the need/use for irons, am a scope man for the duration.
DF

DF - We are in the same boat -generally-; however the REAR sight on the SKS is far enuff forward that it is still usable.

I shoot a Ruger Mk II 22 SS Target 6 7/8" adj sights. At arm length I can still use the irons.

I have a Ruger 10-22 SS Laminate and the rear sight is TOO close for me so....scoped.

I am very blessed, at 66 yo I only need reading glasses. My vision is superb past my elbow.

(for anyone who noticed-- recently I posted that I was 69 and corrected it to 67---a few days later it DAWNED on me that I am ONLY 66--smirk>>>true story)

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I suppose that if I was building a gun specifically dedicated to hunting hogs, especially if I knew that I might have to chase them into some pretty inhospitable and muddy terrain (think the most recent 24hourcampfire hog hunt, from what I understand), it might be something like this:

Base rifle: Savage Hog Hunter with factory barrel (threaded)
Caliber: .223 (the 1:9 twist would be fine for the distances encountered)
Iron Sights: swap factory iron for NECG F/O see-through rear and F/O Tru-Glo front
Scope: Trijicon 1-4x Accupoint with triangle tipped post
Mounts: Warne QD rings on Warne bases
Sling: Butler Creek Comfort V-Grip

That combination would probably be about the most bulletproof combination there is. And with the exception of the scope, I wouldn't cringe every time it got dragged through the mud, bounced around in a truck, our banged around in a stand. That gun would be short and handy. The only drawback might be that it would also be rather heavy. On the other hand, that might not be bad if the balance was right.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used my 30/06 on the 24Hour Campfire Hog Hunt back in March

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I used my 30/06 on the 24Hour Campfire Hog Hunt back in March

And it worked! laugh

Won the piggy Dink-a-thon!

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"Use enough gun" -- R. Ruark

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
He was anxious to secure the Grand Prize.

shown actual size.

[Linked Image]

laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Did he share? crazy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Negatory.

Thats gonna hurt his chances next year.... whistle

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwall
(for anyone who noticed-- recently I posted that I was 69 and corrected it to 67---a few days later it DAWNED on me that I am ONLY 66--smirk>>>true story)Jerry

It's gonna get here quick enough with accelerating it... laugh

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
DF - Ain't that the truth! !

I'm REALLY not rushing it. There were other things that triggered the age confusion. It only took a little bit to figure it out WHEN it crossed my mind. grin.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He ate good!! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still have that major award---Plan on sharing it next year before the decision is made.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
He ate good!! smile

And I'll bet he fit in the crock pot with room left over for veggies!

No kidding, we were hog hunting a couple years ago and checked a hog trap full of a couple sows and a dozen little ones. Don't matter how cute they are, you can't turn them loose alive......and damn ! they were good! laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I still have that major award---Plan on sharing it next year before the decision is made.

You are catching on to the 'bribe the judge' concept....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hell...you are older than me...and I always catch hell for being old here! cry

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, 8 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.