Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boone is Appalachian State - liberal

Hendersonville is just an odd town.

Waynesville and Maggie valley are both quaint and conservative from what I've seen.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
North Wilkes area is nice and pretty conservative. Boone/Blowing Rock is a smaller version of Asheville.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
How about some of the other communities up in the mountains? Waynesville, Maggies Valley, Hendersonville, Brevard, and even Boone way up in the northern end?

Surely there has to be a handful of Conservative/Libertarian communities up in the mountains.

Look to SW VA for that, and a lower cost of living and cheaper tax rate. Or, to TN for more of the same. All will give you the geography/environment you seek.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I live 25 miles nw of Asheville, near Marshall. Different county.
The locals here are conservative and believe in the second amendment.
Lots of outsiders like me have moved in, in the past 20 years. Lots of Florida Yankees have moved to the mountains.
These outsiders run the gamut from liberal goofballs to libertarian/conservatives like me.

Yes Asheville is a liberal hippy hangout. But there are some great restaurants. I love Indian food, Mela restaurant is right in the hippy district on Lexington Avenue.
Girlfriend and I go down there about twice a month to get my fix of Tikka Masala, damn that is some great Indian food.
Walking to the restaurant we see the whole parade of the hippy freak show, with all the tattoos and nose piercings ets. Doesn't bother me it is rather interesting.
Anyway, if you want to live out in the country, shoot the 30-06 right off your porch and mind your own business this is a great place to live! I love it up here.
Bought 39 acres 20 years ago, before the real estate boom. Paid, believe it or not $58 K for the property, you can't do that today.

[Linked Image]

Here is my house, the near cabin is the addition that I just built last year. This is my castle and I am the King!

Last edited by simonkenton7; 04/26/16.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here is an interesting story that tells you about the life and times of Asheville.
Several years ago, there was a little poaching bust about 30 miles southwest from my place.
There was an orphaned fawn, mom got killed by a car. The little buck took up with the cow herd. Little deer figured he was a cow.
Well, two years later, he was a nice 8 pointer, out in the meadow munching grass with the cows. Every afternoon 8 or 10 cars would stop and look in wonder at the tame deer, take pics etc.
So, one afternoon, a stupid hillbilly stopped there, and shot the deer dead with his .30-30
Right in front of a dozen witnesses.
When the deputy arrived, hillbilly was out in the meadow gutting the deer.

This was not in Buncombe County, Asheville. This was two counties over to the west, a very rural and conservative area.
The hillbilly got 2 weeks on the chain gang for shooting a deer out of season, and for trespassing while deer hunting. Minor misdemeanor stuff.

Unfortunately for him, the story made the news in Asheville. The [liberal, goes without saying] Federal DA in Asheville investigated the guy. Turned out he was a convicted felon. Rang him up on FEDERAL "convicted felon with a firearm" charges. Now, he needed a really good lawyer.
Why didn't his local sheriff ring him up on "convicted felon with a firearm" charge? Because, in North Carolina, if you have committed a non violent felony, have done your jail time and probation, you are allowed by state law to have one deer rifle.

But not so under federal law. US Attorney in Asheville threw the book at the hillbilly and he got 7 years in federal prison.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Think Tryon, Sparta, or Todd, all in N.C. Thumbs up to Greeneville, Tennessee too.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My daughter is graduating from Boone in a few weeks so I have been immersed in Watauga county for a few years. Nice place and I would move there in a flash. Not as liberal as you would think. Some very conservative old money there.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
My daughter is graduating from Boone in a few weeks so I have been immersed in Watauga county for a few years. Nice place and I would move there in a flash. Not as liberal as you would think. Some very conservative old money there.

That's one of the reasons I have Boone on my list. Plus, I have a sheit ton of family in the Piedmont Triad. Close enough to family.... yet far enough away! wink

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

+1. Much of Watauga County rocks. I went to App. in the 90s and loved it. I lived off campus, among the locals, and I really grew to like them.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Think Tryon, Sparta, or Todd, all in N.C. Thumbs up to Greeneville, Tennessee too.

I love Sparta and I'm not a mountain person at all. One of my favorite outdoor trips was a guys trip where we floated the New River with some old college buddies fishing for smallmouth. We camped overnight at a primitive campground only accessible by water...it was a blast.

Asheville sucks plain and simple unless you don't mind being surrounded by hippies that haven't bathed in 2 months or tree hugging know-it-all liberals.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
swannanoa/black mountain is nice laugh

But I'm not a helpful campfire 'doobee'

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 54 invisible), 3,113 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,672
Posts18,534,185
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.