Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Looking to get a slightly used CRV to take the pressure off of my Tahoe[that I plan to keep forever].
Good, bad, or whatever you know about them would be appreciated.
Thanks

FJB & FJT
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There's a 2010 2WD model sitting in front of my house right now.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Too many good things about them to write about, better to pick the thing I don't like.

I don't like the fact that I can't tow 7,500lb like I can with my '06 Tundra. grin

29-32mpg depending on how I drive it and where. Routinely gets 29+ at 75mph.

Only issues are recall related to airbags and some consume oil faster than they should. That is also covered under warranty if mine were to start drinking oil, which it does not.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I have two, both bought used. a 2012 and a 2014. have put 30,000 on them so far. no flaws found.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can't say enough good about them. We've owed four: 2001 [totaled at 313,000 miles], 1997 [wife's runabout], 2001 [daughter's college car], 2005 my runabout. I like the Gen I the best (but you do have to change the timing belt every 80K on the Gen I). Don't know much about the newer ones, but I have a couple friends who own
newer ones (2013, 2015)and they like them a lot.

Last edited by RobJordan; 04/25/16.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I personally have not owned one, but my brother has owned 2; 1 used that he bought from a dealer and put 50-60 K miles on it when the dealer informed him that they would buy it back for the price he paid them because they found records indicating it had water damage from one of the Gulf Coast storms.

He took them up on their offer and bought a new one from the dealer when he brought his in ( I would take that offer from a dealer also). He put over 100K on it without issue.

He wound up getting a Suburu Forester when he moved to the NC mountains after retirement and was looking for a lower mileage vehicle. He says the Suburu has about 1 inch more ground clearance than the CRV, but he never had issues with the CRV.

I've driven 1/2 ton pickups for over 40 years, but was very impressed with both the CRV and the Suburu when I've ridden with him.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one in Japan and loved it.

BTW, among most Japanese cars, it has the most interior space, including legroom. Much more than the Acura, per one very large friend.

Also, the controls and storage spaces are darned well thought out.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 2004 AWD version. I bought mine with 34K miles on it last year in Texas. Yes, a grandma car. Paid $8K out the door. Since I have relocated here to Michigan, I have tested it out rather well. It is great in the snow on improved roads. I dont use it as an off road vehicle but I am sure it would do worlds better than a front wheel drive car.

I bought mine to give my Dodge 1500 Hemi 4x4 Crew cab a break from daily driving.

So far, I am glad that I bought it. Zero issues. Runs awesome. I would pass on the vehicle if you dont get the AWD version.

The gas tank on mine is too small. Maybe later versions are bigger. Get one that is made in Japan. Forget the English version. Heard they have a host of issues. The only issues with the Japanese version is the air conditioning compressors have a knack for going. Mine works great.

They are noisy. But I put a brand new set of Michelin Defenders on mine after purchase, and that made a huge difference.

There are well known to go to 200K miles plus with prudent fluid changes. Again, if not the AWD version, I would skip it. If yes, they are great. Japanese versions are top quality.

Hope that helps.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wife had one, she loved it, I hated it.
Maybe because I'm 6'-5" and weigh 260 lb's
It sucks unless you're average to small in height and weight.

"The older I get, the better I was"
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have a '13 as a daily driver. They hold their value well,so a lot of times it doesn't make sense to buy slightly used.

Zero issues with ours so far.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My good buddy has one that won't quit. But if you're 6'4" you better hope your buddy that's driving doesn't hit anything, because the first thing to go are your kneecaps.

Originally Posted by jbmi

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jbmi
Wife had one, she loved it, I hated it.
Maybe because I'm 6'-5" and weigh 260 lb's

^^^ This. Wife had a 2006, not comfortable plus unacceptably noisey on the road.
Traded for a 2009 Pilot, much better.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I had a 2009 all-wheel drive. It was a good and reliable car. Mileage was not all that great at about 25 mpg. The all-wheel drive models are know to eat tires, I think I changed my first set at 22-25 k miles.

You do hear a lot of road noise and it's a bit top heavy so you really feel side winds.

I got a 2016 Suburu Forrester and I like it better. Just as much if not more room. Seems to have a lower center of gravity. Better mileage....granted it is a newer car. Much quieter too.

All that said, the CRV is a good car.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have a 2002 with about 195K on it. Best rig I ever bought.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My wife drives a 2004 AWD. I would have to pry it from her cold, dead hands. As reliable as a brick. Great 4 season car. Negatives- high road noise and fragile AC compressors (ours was replaced under extended warranty/ dealer good will). We will buy another.

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sagewind
My wife drives a 2004 AWD. I would have to pry it from her cold, dead hands. As reliable as a brick. Great 4 season car. Negatives- high road noise and fragile AC compressors (ours was replaced under extended warranty/ dealer good will). We will buy another.

2004 AWD here as well, it just passed 100,000 miles. Road noise is a bit much at highway speeds, not a factor on city streets, although choice of tires does influence that. It gets its normal oil changes and service at recommended intervals and I've never had a problem with anything on mine.

I've taken road trips of 1200-1500 miles in it and it's fine for that, it is steady at 80 mph which is our freeway speed limit these days. "Enough" power for passing on mountainous two lane roads but give yourself a little extra room anyway. Would prefer something else to drive back and forth across the USA but for those shorter trips it was fine. Decent ground clearance so it will handle some pretty washed out and rutted dirt roads and light off road duty but obviously it isn't a hard core off road vehicle.

As a city runabout and daily commuter it's terrific, I couldn't ask for better. Easy to maneuver in tight parking lots, high enough to see over most cars in traffic, good visibility all around and enough room in back for most anything you'd need. I've brought home 10' 2x4's and a 12' ladder in mine sticking out the back window.

Will have to see what is available when it's time to get rid of mine, currently that looks to be sometime around 2028 or so... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't think you can go wrong with any Honda as a commuter.

Last edited by TAGLARRY; 04/25/16.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My wife owns an '08. Road noise is an issue. Power steering pumps/racks are known to be problematic. Honda knows about the issue but has not/will not recall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sagewind

OK guys, the high road noise comments concern tire noise or driveline stuff? Tires are an easy enough fix. Driveline noise, not so much. Where do you think it's coming from.

I see Jim in ID states tires are part of the problem. Anyone else got a comment about the "road noise"?

Thinking of one of these, Toyota RAV4, or Subaru Forester for our next vehicle (for the wife and dogs).

Thanks,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Wife has an '05 that has about 115k on it. She loves it. I enjoy it but prefer bigger and quieter.
We have Michelin Defenders on it and it's noticably louder than my 4runner. I am 6'4" and wish for more room. I don't like the center console as it doesn't allow me to spread my legs/knees out far enough on the drivers side. On the passenger side, my knees are about 1.5" from the dash and seat is all the way back. Kids in car seats in the back don't have much room behind me, but that is true in most cars.
It's had regular maintenance and runs well. I was pissed when we first got it and I tried to teach her to drive in the snow and recover from a spin. Darn thing wouldn't slip or slide, regardless of how fast I was trying to go and no matter how quickly I turned the steering wheel and accelerated. Once I found the button to turn off the anti stability control or whatever they call it, it was much more fun to slide around in.
Great cars, if you're tall, I'd look at others.

Keep Smiling
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Wife has an 08 4WD that we bought new. It has 120k now and has been reliable. Road noise from tires is my only major complaint. On our 4th set of tires now. Changed brake pads at 90k but they could have lasted a little longer. The legroom is a little cramped for me on long trips but I just stop a little more often. Would certainly buy another.

We had ours 2 years before we ever drove it in any snow that required more than a front wheel drive vehicle. It performs very well in ice and I have been surprised with how well it does.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 04/25/16.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,529
Posts18,472,680
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.