Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I kinda hate the word bushcraft but it's a thing now. I think I had rather call it woodcraft. I'm thinking a knife made for wood working, a good carver able to split small pieces of wood, make feather sticks a d fire prep stuff. Not a "survival" knife.

I bought a cheap condor bushlore just to try and find out what I like. Im not crazy about the design. It feels big in the hand and not real good for caving, for me anyway. I bought a ESEE IzulaII and love it for small game cleaning and birds and fish but the blade shape is kinda off for carving.

Anybody have a suggestion for a woodcraft/"bushcraft" type knife for camping/hiking and tramping around in the woods?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I love Charlie May's Skifa with a scandi grind.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Speak English....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sorry, Americun is 'bout all I can converse in.

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Skifa scandi

[Linked Image]

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Skifa is a pattern, scandi grind is a grind pattern on the blade. A Scandinavian grind is very conductive for wood working. Very controllable. I have a knife with a scandi grind but it's bigger than I like.

The MayFlowers on Charlies site looks very nice and a size I would probably like but it's a full flat grind, I had rather have a scandi or saber grind on it.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I made this Kephart for a guy, it was my first one. I understand they're sort of a "Bushcraft" knife.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

http://www.musicmadeknives.com/index.html

Knives are mans best friend........dogs are pretty cool too!
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Horace Kepart was a smart cookie.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I went a cheaper route. Ontario Air Force survial knife about $50. Ordered a Buck 105 sheath off Amazon for $13.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another. Becker BK16 about $60. Micarta grips about $30, Buck 102 sheath from Amazon $13. The grips probably weren't worth the extra, but I do like them better than what came on it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lots of good options, and I have some more expensive examples. But for not a lot of money you can do pretty good.

Here is another I like. Just don't like the sheath and haven't found an inexpensive option that fits.

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife...4072&sr=8-1&keywords=ontario+tak

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by seal_billy

The MayFlowers on Charlies site looks very nice and a size I would probably like but it's a full flat grind, I had rather have a scandi or saber grind on it.

I think Charlie will make any of his patterns with a scandi grind. After using several of his scandi ground knives over the years I'm a big fan.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gmusic
I made this Kephart for a guy, it was my first one. I understand they're sort of a "Bushcraft" knife.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beautiful knife, Gary. What is the finish on the blade?

μολὼν λαβέ
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
That's the finish right out of the quench tank TN, there's a bit carbonized scale and cooked oil in there. It will wear off with use, but it will take some time.......I think it looks pretty cool myself.

http://www.musicmadeknives.com/index.html

Knives are mans best friend........dogs are pretty cool too!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm looking forward to putting that knife to use. grin

μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Well, since there weren't a lot of replies, I'll throw out a couple knives I was looking in to a year or so ago. Bear in mind, I have zero experience at batoning wood, creating fuzz sticks, trying to strike flint off the knife to create a fire, etc. Just was merely hypothetically thinking about trying some of that stuff and looking at knives that appealed to me visually. Whether or not they would have the right feel and do any of that stuff... I have no idea.

I thought about a Ka-Bar with some Chuck Karwan mods, mainly grinding the top of the guard down. Looks like they now have a factory version of it called the Dog's Head.

From Benchmade, I liked the Bushcrafter.

From Battle Horse Knives, I liked the Woodsman Pro and Jump Jak.

From L.T. Wright, I liked the Genesis and Next Gen.

Oh, and by the way, that Gary Music knife above is beautiful!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gary did an excellent job on that Kephart knife. He also crafted a beautiful period correct sheath for it. I'm very pleased with his work.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A fellow by the name of Larry Lewis who sells an inexpensive, but functional, Kephart-style knife on eBay under the seller name "Yllowcrk". For $35 to $45, it seems like a pretty good camp/utility knife.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I second Bhemry's opinion on the BHK Woodsman Pro. Easily my
Favorite heavy duty bushcraft/woodsman/survival knife. Outstanding product w good ergonomics.

Last edited by robertacabin; 04/12/16.
WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll let you know how I like this one after it comes in.
ESEE-3 Modified Handle
I also have an Izula II and ESEE-6. Love them both.
Considering the new ESEE-4 as well.
ESEE-4 Modified Handle

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by seal_billy

I think Charlie will make any of his patterns with a scandi grind. After using several of his scandi ground knives over the years I'm a big fan.

Charlie will do a Scandi grind on all his blades, just have to ask. Most of the knives he has made for me have a Scandi grind. I have his Big Hand Scandi as my bushcrafting knife. It looks like a big knife, blade is just shy of 5 inches, it has a large handle but is still very easy to manipulate. I have made a number fire sticks and other small items with it. FWIW I wear a small/medium glove and still have no issues with the Big Hand knife.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.