-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought a new summit in 375 H & H rifle through cabelas and it need some work. Rifle was dropped and safety needed to be replaced and stock needed to be touched up.

Sent it to them and they returned it the next day...

Trigger is the best...Smooth and crisp...

Looking at obtaining a new one now...

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't speak for any of the people who've had negative experiences with MRC. However, I do know in August of 2006 there were several threads here and other various forums complaining about MRC's long delivery times, offering things that weren't available (like everything in their catalog), and a lot of unhappiness. I thought the alleged year-long (or more) lead times be damned, I'd buy a left-handed short action with a standard bolt face and I'd get it down the road when I was ready to have a rifle built. I learned upon calling MRC that they had any left-handed action available -- CONTARY to what "people" were posting on "the internets" -- so I placed an order 8-28-06 and my receiving FFL had the action on 9-5-06.

What I received:

[Linked Image]

The 7mm-08 it became:

[Linked Image]

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yukonphil
nice rifle and rings,bases and mounts, could tell me more about those?

The rings and bases are Talleys QR with a ghost ring sight fixed as part of the rear base; the front sight is an ivory bead on a hooded ramp. The stock is actually one of Kili's propietary laminated stocks albeit a very handsome one. This as MD stated above with his rifle is on a MRC "short" action which is actually more of a medium length one. In this case the magazine allows for a 350 RM cartridge OAL of 3.1".

As a lefty too, in the past I was always on the lookout for something unique. Picked this up from a site after the original owner used it on one hunt IIRC and at what I thought a bargain price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anjin, welcome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope that Kilimanjaro is laminating stocks the way that my late friend Mel Smart patented. (IIRC, Serengeti bought the rights just before or just after Mel died. Mel was working from his wheel chair when I knew him.)

Instead of the usual many thin laminations, Mel slabbed a thin slice off each side of a raw blank, turned the thick center section over, and glued all three slabs back together. IIRC, the center slab was about as thick as the diameter of the receiver ring. The figure on the two sides of the stock matched, and Mel's process used a lot less glue, so his stocks weren't as heavy as other laminated stocks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's right on as I understand it Ken.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
The rings and bases are Talleys QR with a ghost ring sight fixed as part of the rear base; the front sight is an ivory bead on a hooded ramp.

Please tell me more about that ghost ring fixed as part of the rear base. Thanks!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Perhaps I'll get a pic or two--they're worth a word or two grin. Give me a couple of days.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I bought my stock from Seregeti in 04, just when the new owners took over. You can see how they did it then. Sliced it up into 3 parts but then added two fillers. The stock is rock solid.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think MRC dug a big hole they working to get out of. None of our local stores would even carry MRC the last 4-5 years. Just this last year I've seen a couple local stores with MRC in stock, so they must be trying to come back, but I don't know anyone who has bought one lately.

Another local Flathead area company I have heard good things about is http://defiancemachine.com/ .

I would like to put a defiance action behind a Mcgowen barrel.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, with no experience with MRC but plenty of others', if your customer service is bad or nonexistent, you, as a business, are doomed. It's too bad this lesson seems to have to be learned over and over. Don't they teach this in business school? I mean, it used to be CS (common sense).

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 300 H&H mag was 3 months behind but I'm a satisified customer. And would do business with Jeff again. Think they are beyond their growing pains.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sidepass
My 300 H&H mag was 3 months behind but I'm a satisfied customer. And would do business with Jeff again. Think they are beyond their growing pains.

Hope so.

I never knew Jeff, but Brian usually seemed to be a decent sort.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Brian it is, was talking to a friend jeff just before posting.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Actually, you are both correct. Brian founded the barrel company (started in his FIL's milking parlor with an ancient drill and reamer) and his son Jeff manages the rifle/action side of the business. They are extremely hard working folks that have built a successful business the right way (and with zero government support).

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The dominant story line here, both good and bad is: 'original charter', 'several years ago', 'in 2006', etc.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In January 2012 I meet the folks from MRC at Shot. The 1st week of February I ordered a left hand 338 win mag. At that time I was told hopefully the end of April or 1st week of May. Well May rolled around and I called and at that time I was told things were backed up and they could not give me a completion date. They asked that I call back in a couple of weeks and they would have a better idea. They also said they would understand if I called my dealer and canceled the order.

A few weeks later I called back and they informed me it would be late August to early September - I chose to keep waiting. Well the 2nd week of September my dealer called and said the rifle was ready.

During the whole process I felt like the folks at MRC were being upfront and truthful, sure I wish it hadn't taken so long but I knew what was going on at all times and I could have chosen to go another direction.

As for the rifle - in appearance all is good, workmanship is nice, the trigger creep leaves something to be desired. I fired 10 rounds thru it yesterday for the 1st time. I was shooting factory 225NP's, it shot about 1 1/2" or so.

With some trigger tuning and load development I am optimistic.

So far, I find the MRC a nice option for a lefty.

Randy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Did it kick you off the bench?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tip, it was a little thumpy, I thought about you there near the end. You would have enjoyed it.

Randy

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
this thread is years old. I am looking to get a MRC.
have they improved in QC since then?
thanks in advance

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.