Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
What would you do?

I'd ask him his position on management of public lands by the USFS and BLM. If he said public lands should be transferred to the states, I'd keep the rifle.

maybe I'm just tired, but you jabronis are crackin me up tonite

good job

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would give it back. Who wants something that doesn't belong to them. I have a scope that I sold to a guy on the campfire for an agreed price the first of March with the promise to pay me fully by April 15. It is almost May and I am still waiting for the last $600.00.

I hope he sends the check soon, as I told him I am not a store and don't do layaways. He sounded like a nice guy that really wants the scope.

I may be back asking for help soon if I don't see the money. Someone else may be telling me to wait some more...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jnyork
Well, if you keep it, will you feel good about it?

Exactly. Karma is not a bad thing, sell it back and get on with your life ........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shouldn't even be a question here.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jnyork
Well, if you keep it, will you feel good about it?

That is the big question. If it were me I would give the gun back and go to bed knowing I did a good deed for someone who was in a bind. But that is just me and it time past I have been in a bind myself.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I probably would,..but I'd be miffed about it.

More than likely, I wouldn't get into an arrangement like that just because of what happened in this instance.

Guy says he'll have the money back to you in 30 days,...shows up in 40 sniveling about being late,...granpaw's rifle,..blah blah blah.

It's best just to stay out of stuff like that. It's a recipe for bad feelings.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stopped to help a guy with a flat tire on his chevy pickup in far south Houston, he had a lug wrench but didn't have a jack. We used my jack and he said he didn't have a spare, he asked if he could use my spare and seemed damn grateful, took my name and number and shook my hand hard. He said he would get his flat fixed and call me to return the spare, thirty years later and he has not called.

I would have told him to take it to a pawn shop.

Dave

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Two problems-

Phone calls are free. Why didn't he call and inform you he was going to be late? Poor upbringing or decision making.

Second, since he obviously has not been taught that his word is his responsibility to protect, I would teach him that lesson. He gave his word and failed. You have no responsibility to enable him to continue in his poor decision making.

Throw the Krag in the river for all I care, but hold him to his word one way or another.

Pretty much that simple in my mind. He lied about getting back to you in thirty days, why would you believe the rest of his story?

For those that like the good old country upbringing, your word is your bond. He showed what his was worth.

Yeah, I'm a curmudgeon.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I would give it back. Who wants something that doesn't belong to them. I have a scope that I sold to a guy on the campfire for an agreed price the first of March with the promise to pay me fully by April 15. It is almost May and I am still waiting for the last $600.00.

I hope he sends the check soon, as I told him I am not a store and don't do layaways. He sounded like a nice guy that really wants the scope.

I may be back asking for help soon if I don't see the money. Someone else may be telling me to wait some more...

Damn that 'flave.....

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
A buddy of mine that I used to work with always had a little stash of money handy. He likes guns and motorcycles.

It wasn't a regular thing, but people knew he was usually ready to consider a deal on a quality firearm.

One guy needed money and sold him a .50 caliber Desert Eagle. The price was good, but it wasn't like he stole it off the guy.

A year later the guy sends his wife over to try and buy it back for the same price,...giving him a big sob story.

He just told her it wasn't for sale.

Some people got a lot of nerve.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would give it back without a second thought. The world is full of liars, cheats and thieves, but it is also full of people who just drew a Joker and need a hand up.

If someone asks me for a hand and I can't identify them as being in the first group through my sixth sense I will give them the benefit of the doubt and help them if it does not seem likely to endanger me.

Sometimes I'm not sure and will keep my guard up but will still give them the benefit of the doubt. I know that sometimes good people need a hand up and it would bother me to not provide it if I could.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
A year later the guy sends his wife over to try and buy it back for the same price,...giving him a big sob story.

Did your buddy tell you about the BJ she gave him BEFORE he told her "no"? laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If I was on the flip side of the deal, I would have called the guy up on day 30 and told him that I wasn't going to be able to come up with the money. Thank him for the hand up, and tell him that I hoped he enjoyed the rifle.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'd be glad to give it back to him, although I would ask to shoot it just one time. grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GunReader
I would give it back without a second thought. The world is full of liars, cheats and thieves, but it is also full of people who just drew a Joker and need a hand up.

If someone asks me for a hand and I can't identify them as being in the first group through my sixth sense I will give them the benefit of the doubt and help them if it does not seem likely to endanger me.

Sometimes I'm not sure and will keep my guard up but will still give them the benefit of the doubt. I know that sometimes good people need a hand up and it would bother me to not provide it if I could.

A gal pulled in my daddys drive way one time with a sad story... needed gas to get where ever, wanted money. My dad told her he wouldn't give her any money but he had gas in a can he'd put in here car. About a 1/2 gal out of the can and gas started pouring out of the filler neck on the car..... kind shot that story all to Hell... Hey, but what ever makes you guys feel warm and fuzzy......

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Punt.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Did your buddy tell you about the BJ she gave him BEFORE he told her "no"? laugh

lol,...no

In fact, the woman pestered him a few times about it,...wouldn't leave it alone.

He ended up having to get a bit sharp with her to get her to leave him alone about it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Trade it back. I'd judge him to be honest at least, if not so much punctual.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Two problems-

Phone calls are free. Why didn't he call and inform you he was going to be late? Poor upbringing or decision making.

Second, since he obviously has not been taught that his word is his responsibility to protect, I would teach him that lesson. He gave his word and failed. You have no responsibility to enable him to continue in his poor decision making.

Throw the Krag in the river for all I care, but hold him to his word one way or another.

Pretty much that simple in my mind. He lied about getting back to you in thirty days, why would you believe the rest of his story?

For those that like the good old country upbringing, your word is your bond. He showed what his was worth.

Yeah, I'm a curmudgeon.....

May this day be forever etched in Campfire lore as the day Tom CAVED and agreed with Fireball! Holy Smokes. laugh grin

LOL
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Same story eons ago, gun was WWll P-38. Didn't know the guy but he was in a bind and needed $50. Thirty day deal, he lived about 100 miles away. Called on the 29th day and said he couldn't make it down because of work and to keep the gun. Told him I would hold until his day off the next week. He came down the following week and picked the gun up.

Fellow officer while working loaned some mechanical tools to a individual who was broke down on the highway. Borrower agree to to leave the tools at the next service station. Couple hours later the officer stopped to pick up the tools. Guy had not dropped them off. He was located 100 miles down the road and still had the tools. Loaning officer arrested the individual for petty theft. GW grin

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,394
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.