Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Assuming he wasn't a resident of your state, I'd call the ATF on both of you.
Isn't that just for handguns?

Unlicensed people. You can't drive to Illinois and sell shotguns out of your trunk.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Come on, someone has to know.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm another that would have let him have it back.

lightman
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

This was 35 years ago...Before the Constitution was illegally redefined and the 2nd was still respected.

Hocking Guns for repairs and such were very common place back then. Sales between individuals was unregulated also.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/30/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

This was 35 years ago...Before the Constitution was illegally redefined and the 2nd was still respected.

Hocking Guns for repairs and such were very common place back then.

That doesn't mean it was legal.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A guy comes into your place of business and explains his vehicle is out of gas and needs repairs for him continue his move across Country. He pulls out a very nice Vintage Krag that is in excellent shape.

He then asks if you are willing to hold it for thirty days against a loan of $300 dollars so he can repair his vehicle and finish his trip. He makes the promise "I will be back before 30 days is up" so you loan him the funds.

Thirty days go by and you are admiring and showing your new Firearm to close friends and Family. On the Fortieth day, 10 days late, the guy shows up and claims he got held up due to circumstances beyond his control but he has the money and would like the Gun back.

He goes on to explain how priceless it is to him because it was the very Firearm his Great Grandfather used while in Cuba fighting the Spanish American War. The Firearm is indeed period correct so he is more than likely telling the truth.

What would you do?

If the man has turned up with the money the rifle doesn't belong to you.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'd a shot him with it for asking. just wounded though, not dead. he'd have learned a valuable life lesson and i'd have gained a fine krag. win-win

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah, I would not have touched that transaction with a person just passing through. Then, there is the whole issue as to how a security interest would be created and enforced under applicable state law. It looks like the statute of limitations ran a long time ago, though.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Yeah, I would not have touched that transaction with a person just passing through. Then, there is the whole issue as to how a security interest would be created and enforced under applicable state law. It looks like the statute of limitations ran a long time ago, though.

Well, there is another thing to consider in this instance. Said rifle was used during the Spanish-American war, which was in 1898. So said rifle is an ANTIQUE.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Well, there is another thing to consider in this instance. Said rifle was used during the Spanish-American war, which was in 1898. So said rifle is an ANTIQUE.

Yes...but so are half of the respondents.

Added...Hello Ingwe! smile

Last edited by JSTUART; 04/30/16.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Hocking Guns for repairs and such were very common place back then.

That doesn't mean it was legal.

Maybe it was not legal, but minor things like this were not really enforced back then.

Thing is...I was a Ca resident, He was moving to Ca to become a resident, and the temporary exchange happened in Ca.

Do you think they would have taken the time and resources to prove a difference? Even if someone called them they would have probably just disregarded it.

Towing and Repair was a pretty good gig for Firearm Collectors back then. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"I will be back before 30 days is up" so you loan him the funds.

I would have sold/traded the rifle on Day 31. Everybody is happy - he successfully moved across country and I dumped a rifle I never wanted in the first place. If the guy wanted to be ecstatic he would have shown up earlier.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
A guy comes into your place of business and explains his vehicle is out of gas and needs repairs for him continue his move across Country. He pulls out a very nice Vintage Krag that is in excellent shape.

He then asks if you are willing to hold it for thirty days against a loan of $300 dollars so he can repair his vehicle and finish his trip. He makes the promise "I will be back before 30 days is up" so you loan him the funds.

Thirty days go by and you are admiring and showing your new Firearm to close friends and Family. On the Fortieth day, 10 days late, the guy shows up and claims he got held up due to circumstances beyond his control but he has the money and would like the Gun back.

He goes on to explain how priceless it is to him because it was the very Firearm his Great Grandfather used while in Cuba fighting the Spanish American War. The Firearm is indeed period correct so he is more than likely telling the truth.

What would you do?

If the man has turned up with the money the rifle doesn't belong to you.

Yep...It never was mine...I had to trust him too. He could have just reported it stolen and I would have went to jail the next time it was run. He would have got it back without paying the money and I would have went to jail on top of it.

This was one of the things I did indeed consider in this decision. smile

My cash back...risk gone.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd have given it back with repayment. Matter of fact I woulda hunted him down to get repayment because, unless it was owned by Teddy Roosevelt himself, there's no way I would have given $300 for a Krag 35 years ago.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tmitch
I'd have given it back with repayment. Matter of fact I woulda hunted him down to get repayment because, unless it was owned by Teddy Roosevelt himself, there's no way I would have given $300 for a Krag 35 years ago.
I bet it happened more recently.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's a vague air of immorality about this particular morality test.

Tech tip, check your compassion levels on a regular basis.
Avoid over-filling.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by tmitch
I bet it happened more recently.

No...35 years ago and it very obviously had only a few rounds put through it and was in pristine shape. I was not real knowledgeable back then about Firearm values, I was only 19.

And Mitch is right, I probably was loaning him too much towards it. I was still a kid WANTED that Rifle. 30 days was long enough for me to think twice and reconsider the wisdom of it. smile

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
There's a vague air of immorality about this particular morality test.

Tech tip, check your compassion levels on a regular basis.
Avoid over-filling.

GTC

It was not intended to be a morality test of any kind at all Greg. I was just curious if anyone was going to pick up on the fact that this guy could have reported this Firearm Stolen and caused me a world of hurt. Anyone who would have kept it would have also been at serious risk in this scenario.

Greg...you are apparently going to badger me in attempt to get my Goat but it is not going to happen. What is it you want from me? My lunch money? What would make you feel better and satisfy your obvious agenda here?

Please detail your purpose and point with this and maybe I can gladly accommodate you.

I ain't given up my Lunch Money man...never did and never will...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The way we treat other people (in most instances) likely has a lot more to do with 'us' than it does with 'them'.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by antlers
The way we treat other people (in most instances) likely has a lot more to do with 'us' than it does with 'them'.

Absolutely. And I did do it for "Me". Not just because I was raised to think this way but the guy could have reported the thing Stolen!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

739 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,843
Posts18,478,259
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.