B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
David,

I have a very early production Montana 8400 in 7WSM. It feeds slicker than pig snot. I've also had a newer production 8400 7WSM, which fed flawlessly as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, hell. Pig snot. Can't get any better than that...

Is pig snot more slippery than goose grease?

I bet the campfire could debate the relative viscosity of one vs. the other for 10 pages... grin.

I bet it would take at least 40 pages. I mean it's taken 74 pages to figure out if a 300 Weatherby will kill an elk without the bullets being blown back to Wisconsin in a full value wind..... tired

I've had 4-5 Montanas chambered for WSM's and they functioned fine. Much better than early NH M70 Classics which were mostly rubbish.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine feeds great (.325, then 7 WSM). It's a good WSM action- plenty of COAL available, 3-way safety, fantastic trigger, etc.

It'd be fun to build one with a little heavier barrel as Brad suggests. What to do about the stock is the obvious question. Ever open up the channel of a Montana stock, Brad? Bad idea?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've had a few Montana 300 WSM's and all fed flawlessly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Mine feeds great (.325, then 7 WSM). It's a good WSM action- plenty of COAL available, 3-way safety, fantastic trigger, etc.

It'd be fun to build one with a little heavier barrel as Brad suggests. What to do about the stock is the obvious question. Ever open up the channel of a Montana stock, Brad? Bad idea?
My plan was to do something similar to the contour SAS had worked up for the 84M. Dupe of factory barrel until just past the forend, then go heavier. I think that'd be enough extra weight and one wouldn't have to modify the stock. Instead I sold it to help pay for two hunts to ID that year...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, Pointer, you've walked the walk when it comes to the philosophy of "hunts over guns"!

Some 'glass stocks really don't like having the skin broken. I'm remembering them as having "monocoque" construction, and I'm remembering that the Montana stock is like that. But I could be mis-remembering. smile

While I like the Monrana stock, the lack of other drop-in options (to my knowledge) for the Kimber action does hinder using it for builds that differ from the factory blueprint...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah, Pointer, you've walked the walk when it comes to the philosophy of "hunts over guns"!

Some 'glass stocks really don't like having the skin broken. I'm remembering them as having "monocoque" construction, and I'm remembering that the Montana stock is like that. But I could be mis-remembering. smile

While I like the Monrana stock, the lack of other drop-in options (to my knowledge) for the Kimber action does hinder using it for builds that differ from the factory blueprint...

You're misremembering.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm remembering them as having "monocoque" construction, and I'm remembering that the Montana stock is like that. But I could be mis-remembering. smile

Originally Posted by Canazes9
You're misremembering. David

Jeff is actually quite right. The MT is indeed of "monocoque" construction, ie., a continuous structural skin.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Brad,

I have in my posession a Montaa that had a a lot of material removed to fit a larger barrel, the barrel channel went all the way through, the length of the stock. The stock is still stiff as a board. I'm not a structural engineer, but fairly certain that's not possible with a true monocoque structure.

Perhaps your sources are misinformed.

David

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad,

I have in my posession a Montaa that had a a lot of material removed to fit a larger barrel, the barrel channel went all the way through, the length of the stock. The stock is still stiff as a board. I'm not a structural engineer, but fairly certain that's not possible with a true structure.

David

David, I think you're misunderstanding.

I'm agreeing with Jeff that the stock is indeed of monocoque construction as it leaves the plant in Costa Rica. You were disagreeing with that statement, at least in terms of how I understand the English language.

Beyond that, I'm not debating anything. I've never opened one up, though I don't see why it would hurt as long as the barrel channel is re-glassed.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Brad,

I have in my posession a Montaa that had a a lot of material removed to fit a larger barrel, the barrel channel went all the way through, the length of the stock. The stock is still stiff as a board. I'm not a structural engineer, but fairly certain that's not possible with a true structure.

David

David, I think you're misunderstanding.

I'm agreeing with Jeff that the stock is indeed of monocoque construction as it leaves the plant in Costa Rica. You were disagreeing with that statement, at least in terms of how I understand the English language.

Beyond that, I'm not debating anything. I've never opened one up, though I don't see why it would hurt as long as the barrel channel is re-glassed.

Brad,

Someone may be calling it a moncoque structure, but it is not. A stressed skin / semi-monocoque, no problem. Certainly I believe that disrupting outer skin structure in places will have negative impacts on strength/rigidity. Opening the barrel channel does not, hence by my understanding it cannot be considered a true monocoque structure. Certainly in the context that Jeff was referring to, that the barrel channel cannot be opened up because it's a monocoque structure.

Pics, in case someone wants to see:

Factory barrel compared to my Hart barrel:

[Linked Image]

Generous free float:

[Linked Image]

David

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
David, I've sanded down a Kimber MT stock. It is indeed of monocoque construction as I understand the concept. Something can be considered monocoque and be joined, it does not have to be seamless, just contiguous.

And BTW, you were disagreeing with Jeff that his memory of the stock being a monocoque was wrong. It isn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a cross-section of a Kimber MT stock showing the monocoque construction. It's the same in the forearm:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
David, I've sanded down a Kimber MT stock. It is indeed of monocoque construction as I understand the concept. Something can be considered monocoque and be joined, it does not have to be seamless, just contiguous.

And BTW, you were disagreeing with Jeff that his memory of the stock being a monocoque was wrong. It isn't.

Brad,

I'm pretty f'ing sure what I was disagreeing with:

By definition the strenth of a monocoque structure is it's skin. Are you trying to imply that the fill in the stock does not supply a significant portion of the structural integrity? If that'swhat you think, you're clearly wrong. If you think that the fill does provide strength and still arguing that it's a true monocoque structure, well you're wrong again.

David

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
David, you obviously struggle with English.

Good luck.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
David, you obviously struggle with English.

Good luck.

Brad

Making a snide comment was your only real option at this point.

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Opened barrel channel. Fill is painted to seal it, but no glass or resins have been applied. The fill is quite rigid:

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure my stock is no longer contiguous, yet there is no significant loss of structural integrity. Again, this meets the definition of a stressed skin or semi-monocoque design, not a true monocoque.

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 05/05/16.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
No problems with my 325 WSM, taking it to Alaska in September. Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where in the fugg is Flave on this one?

All this talk about monocock and he's MIA..... He must be in rehab or maybe Minnesota.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.