Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have and like several T3's, but also recently picked up a CLR and decided to get one of Melvin Forbes' stocks for it. Very nice gentleman to talk to on the phone when I was asking how much he charged for them and the typical turn around times and such.

The CLR has proven to shoot very well with the factory barrel so I'll be leaving that alone for now, but a couple days ago when the new stock arrived and I swapped them out it became an entirely different feeling rifle. The new stock is significantly lighter and feels much better. It's not a NULA, but it is a darn nice rifle.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beware though, because Melvin's light rifles don't shoot well at the ranges you specified.

That's a teaser.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/38/1/Long_Range_Hunting

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Honestly, you probably can not get a used one for $1500. So it's back to you-know-what.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not a Tikka fan, so how about a Bergera in 6.5 Creedmoor?

Or a Vanguard2 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a McM stock in the style that works best for you.

Or a 700 CDL-SF in whatever cartridge that moves you with a McM stock in the style that works best for you.

R
rcarr Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've had my eyes on the Ultra Light Arms for year. Remember seeing one years (2 decades ago?) at a gun show and if left an impression. Reviews and testimony from users always great. But honestly too expensive to even consider. I actually like the idea of the ClR and sending it to for forbes but a quick search did not reveal any short actions and they seem fo be getting pricey.
I would say the t3 is probably the most practical choice and most bang for the buck. But maybe I want to go through the process of a semi custom build just to do it. I wish they offered the howa 20 inch #1 counter in stainless as I really want stainless. I would drop it in an edge or a elite hunter.
If I'm in a practical mood I'll probably get the t3 or t3x and keep if 100% stock and maybe even get a rangefinder and a few other goodies with money I save.
However, I just spent a few hours looking at different custom rifles and kind of want to build a 22.75 inch Barreled 1:7.9 inch twist 7mm 08Ai with a mcswirly 21% white and 70% black and 9% charteuse. Three swivel studs in the back, none in the front just cause.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would call Whittakers and ask if they had any of the All Weather Hawkeyes left.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You could always keep using the Venture until you save more money for a Nula, if that's what you really want.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sako

Finnlight

7mm-08

'Nuff said.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rcarr
I've had my eyes on the Ultra Light Arms for year. Remember seeing one years (2 decades ago?) at a gun show and if left an impression. Reviews and testimony from users always great. But honestly too expensive to even consider. I actually like the idea of the ClR and sending it to for forbes but a quick search did not reveal any short actions and they seem fo be getting pricey.
I would say the t3 is probably the most practical choice and most bang for the buck. But maybe I want to go through the process of a semi custom build just to do it. I wish they offered the howa 20 inch #1 counter in stainless as I really want stainless. I would drop it in an edge or a elite hunter.
If I'm in a practical mood I'll probably get the t3 or t3x and keep if 100% stock and maybe even get a rangefinder and a few other goodies with money I save.
However, I just spent a few hours looking at different custom rifles and kind of want to build a 22.75 inch Barreled 1:7.9 inch twist 7mm 08Ai with a mcswirly 21% white and 70% black and 9% charteuse. Three swivel studs in the back, none in the front just cause.

Is charteuse a McM color option?

I'm kinda fond of a grape, turquoise, and either light grey or white mix.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Tikka T3 stainless, put it in a McMillan of your choice, go forth and full arks.

But, for the same price (or less) you could have a 2015 (non-threaded) Montana. That's what I'd do.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Sako

Finnlight

7mm-08

'Nuff said.....

I like this one.......or a Nosler Patriot, or T3.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you want to go traditional, I have a very nice, near mint condition, one year limited production, REM 700 C!assic in .280 that I might let go for $1499 😀

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rcarr,

In my experience it's hard to beat the accuracy/trigger/etc. of the T/C Venture. Unless you just want something lighter to hunt with from a stand, I'd suggest what somebody else already did: Save your money until you can afford a NULA. At that point, however, you might be tempted to spend the money on a hunt instead.

But it's your money, and your decision on what's more important, an "upgrade" in your rifle (whether or not it will actually shoot better) or something else.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeL2
If you want to go traditional, I have a very nice, near mint condition, one year limited production, REM 700 C!assic in .280 that I might let go for $1499 😀

I've never seen a Classic go that high.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This schit cracks me up!

Get a Dumbfhuqk asking a STUPID question,fabricate Delusions to pad the inherent Stupidity of same and then feign a fhuqking clue. Hilarious!

For $1500 Clams and someone who "shoots","hunts" and "reloads" as "much" as the OP...it'd be NIB Montucky 308,Reupold 30mm DD's,6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker,BC's and a coupla hunnert Skinners. It'll blow the piece of fhuqking schit Venture outta the water.

Funnier than fhuqk,when Dumbfhuqks cain't savvy hilarity,such as the Classic Ruse. Poor poor fhuqking STUPID Dooshmike. Laughing!

Or having never seen a 7-08AI...like one of you Dumbfhuqks could pick 'em out of a crowd. Cheer up,the rifle got MUCH better with a 6x Fixed Fhuqker. Hint.

Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Or an Adirondack. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Or an Ascent.

[Linked Image]

I've only seen one McMillan and it was black. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't. Hint.

I getta kick outta Day Dreaming Do NOTHING Dumbfhuqks,talking out their asses...tryin' to convince themselves that they have a fhuqking clue,while it remains GLARINGLY obvious that ain't in the cards! Mebbe a Texan will Whine that she "can't read" this. I'm fhuqking cryin'.....I'm laughing soooooooooooo fhuqking hard!!!!!!!!

Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

Hint.

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by MikeL2

I've never seen a Classic go that high.

It would surprise the heck out of me too!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcarr
Hey guys birthdays coming up and I'm looking to get my self a rifle for about a grand, definitely not more than 1500. This is not including optics as I have a conquest 3-9 x 40 I will be putting on it. Though I've hunted for years I have always been very frugal with my choices. My t/c venture in 270 has been awesome but I want to buy something "nicer" just because I want to. Confusing the search is the fact that I will continue to hunt primarily from treestand in new england with shots under 75 yards but often having to act very quickly . Deer are by far he most common target with a bear hunt and predator hunt occasionally. However I want to start doing more out of state hunts and want to do more practicing 300 -400 yards. I had the opportunity to briefly hunt in hawaii his year and axis deer around 300 yards away were beyond my comfort zone. I want to change this.
I''m most strongly considering a howa barreled action or vanguard and then throwing it in a mcmillan or manners. Can I do better? The not yet released weatherby weather mark intrigues me for some reason as does the vanguard back country. As you can tell I am biased towards weatherbys but not stuck on them.
Though I do not post here often I lurk a lot. I encourage sarcasm, hateful and off topic responses. Just to set the tone there is no a ay I'm gonna put a 20 ounce plus scope "stuck" in 6x on my rifle. Nor will I buy a poorly put together rifle requirig hours and hundreds of dollars in work because it's named after a state with mountains.

I saw a beautiful little Remington mountain rifle BDL (Not DBM) in 280 rem that the shop owner says shoots good and would sell for $800.00 with leupold 3-9x40. Looks like new. If I had the $800.00 and was looking, that's probably the one I'd jump on right now... You don't have to pay "$1,500.00"+ to get into a nice hunting rifle.. Good luck with your search..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd take a 700 Mountain over a Kimber or Tikka anyday. Almost bought one in .280 but I already have a very accurate BDL in that chambering and I thought it might get a bit redundant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
This schit cracks me up! Get a Dumbfhuqk asking a STUPID question,fabricate Delusions to pad the inherent Stupidity of same and then feign a fhuqking clue. Hilarious!

rcarr (OP) don't worry, he talks about everybody that way (except for a couple on the forum who really suck up to him big time). It's not a personal attack on you. You just asked, in an unsuspecting manner, the opinions of others. That is a green light for Big Stick to call you names and treat you like an idiot. The rest of us don't consider you stupid for asking the opinion of others.

By the way, as anybody here will tell you, I'm not one of Big Stick's suck up sycophants; but, I would parrot his recommendation here. He may have been later to the Kimber Montana and SWFA SS user group than many of us; but, he likes them.

To Big Stick, I hope you are well little buddy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bsa',

Tough to get giddy about blued/walnut and Reupold 3-9x's,in a L/A MR handle. Hint.

While the twist/throating/COAL are spot on,the CM/Living Wood concessions are huge,on a rifle that will be actually USED. I realize that use is a concept new to you. Laughing!

The MR handle pales to the Classic in felt recoil management and when musing Light Done Right,the Montucky has NO equal...especially in a L/A and in direct comparison to even a McMillan KS. Pardon my having it all. Hint.

You'd think one would yard a 7-08AI flingin' 162 A-Max Smooches at 2850fps out of a MR and into a fhuqking Classic instead...along with a 6x Fixed Fhuqker replacing 6x42 M1's?!? Hey wait. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Hell...even a Montucky in SAAMI Twat-Six squirtin' Skinners,is a soft shootin' sonofabitch,despite it's gross lack of mass. Hint.

[Linked Image]

'Course just like the Three Oh Not So Great,things only get better when you start necking the suck out of it. I only Casted & Blasted the above rifle for (4) days then rebarreled it Brux 1-8" contour duped/shank reduction at 22.25" for a Six Twat-Six and 105 Hornie HPBT's at 3300fps.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Despite the NIB donor,there's less than $1500 into the bare rifle. Though soon to be Bear Rifle. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Always a fhuqking treat to be regaled with your "harrowing" Window Licking "Adventures",keen "insight","knowledge","experience" and "results"...along with them unequaled pixels. Give or fhuqking take.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!......................

Dooshmike,

Cite "all" the Montuckys you've "gunned" and feel free to wax eloquent upon their "particulars",as per your "best" "efforts". The Paper Hat Brigade's "Almost" Chronicles are compelling "Testimony". Congratulations?!?

Don't "forget" boolits,bases,rings and glass...along with some pics of your Imagination and it's Pretend. Laughing!

Is there NO end to you Do NOTHING Dumbfhuqks and your Imaginations and Pretend?!? Wow +P++!

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................

TheBitchingSniveler,

It is hilariouser than fhuqk,that you follow me around nipping at heels and flaunt your Imagination and it's Pretend,as "vindication" of all the things you almost did,all the wares you almost used and all the places you almost did 'em. You poor poor(literally) Sappy Day Dreaming Do NOTHING Dumbfhuqk.

I enjoy how you obliviously arrange Reality colliding with your Fantasy. Congratulations?!?

Don't "forget" to cite "particulars" and I'm always torn on which is fhuqking funnier,the Whine or the Excuses. You "hard chargers" are a fhuqking RIOT!

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.