Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 48 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 47 48
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott
Not quite 50 (you'll have to go to Smokepole & Battue - wait they're too old, nevermind).

Winter 2014 I did mostly bodyweight stuff and riding/running 3x a week. Got into a barbell routine in the summer and tried to continue the running/riding. That was too much volume for me.
This year I did barbell strength training 3x a week from Jan until this week. Now I'm doing a heavy lift day Monday, light lift Thursday, and mornings are either riding or running. I'll add swims at lunch as I get used to the schedule. Weekends are for hikes with weighted pack.
The idea is to maintain or slightly build strength while building the cardio until Fall. In fall/early winter I hope to at least do something 3-4 times a week then start the cycle again.

Conceptually, you are doing almost exactly what I do. I hit all my body parts hard only once per week, followed 2-3 days later with a lighter weight but different exercise for the same part. Example: Chest - heavy bench on Monday, dips on Thursday. I do squats on Monday so do no cardio on Tuesday; maybe a 2 mile walk but nothing strenuous. Weds is usually jog day, Thurs is usually weights, Friday is interval training or off depending on my week, Sat is jog or 10-15 mile hike in mountains. My intervals are running based - run hard for 1 min, walk for 1.5 min, 10 intervals of that. Intervals 9 and 10 really suck.......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do one day of cardio, one day of lower body/core, one day of upper body, then repeat during the week. And mostly just hike on the weekends. I don't do heavy days and light days with weights, just three sets starting on the low end with 12-14 reps, then heavier with 10-12 reps, then heaviest I can do 8 reps with. All to failure (or close to it).

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Leg press 390x30
Calf raises 390x30
Squats 125x10, 175x10

I don't do cardio.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just about every gym day is a combo of weights and cardio on the bike or elliptical. Something I want to watch on TV often gets 30minutes on the rower. Weights these days, at least for now are mostly bench press, squats, standing press and dead lifts. Throw in some curls, chin-pull ups, flys, box stepups etc, etc between sets. Then some stretching. Maybe at the gym or at home.

Young girl tonight asked me if I would show her how to do squats. I ain't BS'ing you either. Hmmmm, "Well, you have to stick your ahhhh, ok Butt back, and your ahhh chest out.I left out take a deep breath. Hmmm and then you have to keep your back at a 45 or so degrees, come up and pivot thru the hips." For just a minute, really just a second or so, I thought I was Smoke. Then I realized, nope. grin

Last edited by battue; 04/29/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Any good recommendations on fitness apps or programs that just use bodyweight only? Or only uses resistance bands? Tough to get weights here, as shipping is a killer even in-country. Even a pullup bar might not be do-able. I've just been doing crunches, situps and pushups for a little while, but would like a better overall workout.

I've got a mountain bike for cardio, and am now up to 20km at better than 31km/hr time trialing. 762 calories in 37+ minutes according to Runtastic. I do longer rides with the boys at a fat burner type pace (Time trials go deep into the supposed "red" zone. Well above the 220 - age theoretical maximum heart rate). Next goal is 25km at better than 30km/hr. Then 30 km in an hour.

Since moving here, I've dropped over 12 kilos from my weight just before I left the states last July. My resting heart rate is now in the mid-upper 40s. I eat essentially whatever I want, but my overall caloric intake is certainly down from where it was in the States. There's no shortage of rice or noodles here, so it's not a low carb diet or anything. It's just simple math - reduced caloric input + increased activity = weight loss.

Apologies for all metric, but using Imperial units here is a PITA.

KL

Last edited by KuiLei; 04/29/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
For just a minute, really just a second or so, I thought I was Smoke. Then I realized, nope. grin

Yep. If it'd been me, she would've been content to just watch me do squats, while giving me an occasional pinch on the ass.

KuiLei, sounds like you're on the right track. If you could find a Roman chair and/or a back extension bench, you can do a lot of core stuff with them. Also, a Bosu ball or some other type of air-filled unstable surface to do exercises on to work the lower legs and balance. For the stretch band exercises, Youtube is your friend, there are literally thousands of instructional videos on there. Good luck.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by battue
For just a minute, really just a second or so, I thought I was Smoke. Then I realized, nope. grin

Yep. If it'd been me, she would've been content to just watch me do squats, while giving me an occasional pinch on the ass.

Since when did you start hanging around with Willie?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You lost me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KuiLei
Any good recommendations on fitness apps or programs that just use bodyweight only? Or only uses resistance bands? Tough to get weights here, as shipping is a killer even in-country. Even a pullup bar might not be do-able. I've just been doing crunches, situps and pushups for a little while, but would like a better overall workout.

I've got a mountain bike for cardio, and am now up to 20km at better than 31km/hr time trialing. 762 calories in 37+ minutes according to Runtastic. I do longer rides with the boys at a fat burner type pace (Time trials go deep into the supposed "red" zone. Well above the 220 - age theoretical maximum heart rate). Next goal is 25km at better than 30km/hr. Then 30 km in an hour.

Since moving here, I've dropped over 12 kilos from my weight just before I left the states last July. My resting heart rate is now in the mid-upper 40s. I eat essentially whatever I want, but my overall caloric intake is certainly down from where it was in the States. There's no shortage of rice or noodles here, so it's not a low carb diet or anything. It's just simple math - reduced caloric input + increased activity = weight loss.

Apologies for all metric, but using Imperial units here is a PITA.

KL

You can do a lot with your bodyweight but pushups and pull ups are essential. Resistance bands is probably the route you need to go. I'd Google them and see what's recommended and what workouts there are.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Took the dog on a 3-mile walk this morning. Wet snow sucks the life out of my legs, so it's upper body at the gym this afternoon.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing wrong with upper body day!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys I know it's kinda cheating but I have been busting ass, just not "working out"..... tons of ladder work. priming and caulking eaves and high gables, getting this damn thing ready to paint.

It's gotta count for some kind of cross-training full body workout! smile

I think a Jeff-day is in order tomorrow.... go shooting in the morning, long bike ride in the afternoon. Untangle my body a bit.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Change this morning from my usual 10 rounds on the heavy bag. Oldest son (11) has been wanting to start lifting so he's lifting in the morning before school 2-3 days a week. Today was the first day. Not really lifting, just learning form and technique with no weights. Lot's of bw stuff. It will be a couple of years before he'll lift heavy but hopefully he'll have a good foundation by then. He enjoyed it and I got a lot of stretching in while coaching him along.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Change this morning from my usual 10 rounds on the heavy bag. Oldest son (11) has been wanting to start lifting so he's lifting in the morning before school 2-3 days a week. Today was the first day. Not really lifting, just learning form and technique with no weights. Lot's of bw stuff. It will be a couple of years before he'll lift heavy but hopefully he'll have a good foundation by then. He enjoyed it and I got a lot of stretching in while coaching him along.
Good deal! Might want to look into some of the online info/articles put out by the Crossfit Kids folks. My 5yo and 8yo did a short class over Xmas break, and I was pretty impressed with how they taught the movements for various lifts. Just a suggestion.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Good deal! Might want to look into some of the online info/articles put out by the Crossfit Kids folks. My 5yo and 8yo did a short class over Xmas break, and I was pretty impressed with how they taught the movements for various lifts. Just a suggestion.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
45 min on bike trainer this morning
After work:
Squats - 265 5x3
Bench - 210 5x3
Dead - 285 5x1
Dips - BW+35 8x3
LTE - 75 10x3

Felt pretty good, no shoulder pain at all.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cardio intervals today, 60 minutes, 740 cals.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I fell and hurt my ankle and knee. I haven't made it to the gym since Saturday . Hoping to get there Thursday.

Page 21 of 48 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 47 48

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,176 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,125
Posts18,483,808
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.