Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There was also the tag holder that paid a certain guide service to make sure that a particular bull was watched all late summer and if any of the draw tag holders got close to finding it the guides would interfere with them so as not to get close enough to it to take it.
That sounds like the Spider bull that was killed in UT a few years ago. I read somewhere that the guy had over $100K invested before he shot it. It was the world record at the time but I don't know if it still holds it or not.

I heard that same thing but what I was referring to happened in my neck of the woods.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
A five-minute Google search reveals Mr. Reichert to be a rich trophy hunter with an unscrupulous zeal for killing large elk. Big deal. sleep

You correct PrimeBeef in that it is no big deal except they usually screw up a hunt that some guy or gal has waited 20 years for and they swoop in and muck it up for them without a care in the world.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JDHasty
No, not at all - to get up to speed on his history, if you don't recognize the name do an internet search and type in Todd Reichert Elk and the search engine will suggest:

Related searches
Tod Reichert Illegal Elk
New World Record Elk
Biggest Elk in the World

This guy has been participating in Tag Auctions for a long time.

He and Jon Wick were also charged w/multiple gross misdemeanors and felonies related to a hunt in Washington's Blue Mountains in 2007 in which he used the Washington Governor's Auction Tag. Both plead guilty in 2012 to some of the charges and others were dismissed. You can search this case online and get up to speed on it.

Last year Mr Reichert bought one Washington State Auction Tag and won a three species SE Washington Raffle Tag and then proceeded to kill a monster bull in GMU 334, Ellensburg, which is closed to branch antler bull hunting specifically excluded from the areas in which Mr Reicherts tag was valid for.

The info is spread throughout the thread I linked to and it is a hot mess. There were/are other threads that were nuked and some should/may reappear when/after it is possible to make sure they do not contain any libelous or other actionable postings in them.

As of the 21st Mr Reichert has been charged w/Unlawful Taking of Big Game II and if found guilty or pleads out that will invoke the IWVC suspension of hunting privileges.

So what...and why exactly are you acting like you just caught him f_cking your wife with your cat?

You protest too loud.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART
[quote=JDHasty]No, not at all - to get up to speed on his history, if you don't recognize the name do an internet search and type in Todd Reichert Elk and the search engine will suggest:

Related searches
Tod Reichert Illegal Elk
New World Record Elk
Biggest Elk in the World

This guy has been participating in Tag Auctions for a long time.

He and Jon Wick were also charged w/multiple gross misdemeanors and felonies related to a hunt in Washington's Blue Mountains in 2007 in which he used the Washington Governor's Auction Tag. Both plead guilty in 2012 to some of the charges and others were dismissed. You can search this case online and get up to speed on it.

Last year Mr Reichert bought one Washington State Auction Tag and won a three species SE Washington Raffle Tag and then proceeded to kill a monster bull in GMU 334, Ellensburg, which is closed to branch antler bull hunting specifically excluded from the areas in which Mr Reicherts tag was valid for.

The info is spread throughout the thread I linked to and it is a hot mess. There were/are other threads that were nuked and some should/may reappear when/after it is possible to make sure they do not contain any libelous or other actionable postings in them.

As of the 21st Mr Reichert has been charged w/Unlawful Taking of Big Game II and if found guilty or pleads out that will invoke the IWVC suspension of hunting privileges.

So is the Boone & Crockett Club doing anything about removing his records from their big game records book B&C?

Sounds like if the Boone & Crockett Club proactively removed all poachers and scanned for likely illegal submissions better, there would be less incentive to violate the game laws.

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Todd also pays big money i.e. Helps fund about three game halks wages each year. The op is a [bleep] jealous [bleep] very common in lib WA. A guy that pays 60k for an elk tag should be able to shoot the elk he wants at pike place market if needed.

Last edited by fredIII; 05/07/16.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by brooksrange

So is the Boone & Crockett Club doing anything about removing his records from their big game records book B&C?

Sounds like if the Boone & Crockett Club proactively removed all poachers and scanned for likely illegal submissions better, there would be less incentive to violate the game laws.

Yes, if there is credible evidence the kill doesn't meet their fair chase standards the B&C won't accept the head or will remove it from the record book.

They have done it many times before.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I knew a guy whose new world record grizzly was removed because AK game department determined that he had violated regulations that protect streams and riparian habitats.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is going to reverberate throughout the hunting comunity once word gets out.

Seems like it won't.

What's the rationale for not allowing the hunting of branch-antlered bulls in a particular area?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
This is going to reverberate throughout the hunting comunity once word gets out.

Seems like it won't.

What's the rationale for not allowing the hunting of branch-antlered bulls in a particular area?

My info is dated by 20 years but when I lived and hunted out there the intent was to grow some bigger elk and they figured that by only taking spike bulls anything a little older would walk.

How's it worked? No clue but I will say WA state has the most f'ed up game and fish regulations of any state I've hunted in. I am damn careful to follow the law and I am sure I violated something every year in WA simply because of their complexity.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So the idea would be to close the area for a period of time, then re-open it after the bulls had grown to maturity and allow some of the animals to be taken?

If that's the rationale, and the bulls had grown up, it seems kind of silly not to let the governor's tag owner hunt there.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I propose it is a conspiracy out of Seattle to increase the supply of sheds. This would lower aphrodisiac costs to Seattle's users.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the idea would be to close the area for a period of time, then re-open it after the bulls had grown to maturity and allow some of the animals to be taken?

If that's the rationale, and the bulls had grown up, it seems kind of silly not to let the governor's tag owner hunt there.

Can't argue with that logic but as I said, logic and what came out of Olympia seem to be alien concepts to each other. Washington was a great state that has been brought down by a single city. A common theme across this country.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hardly the kind of stuff that will "reverberate throughout the hunting community."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flaccid in Seattle. Would start riots!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pugs

My info is dated by 20 years but when I lived and hunted out there the intent was to grow some bigger elk and they figured that by only taking spike bulls anything a little older would walk.

How's it worked? No clue but I will say WA state has the most f'ed up game and fish regulations of any state I've hunted in. I am damn careful to follow the law and I am sure I violated something every year in WA simply because of their complexity.

No, not that I'm aware of.

What has worked in the areas/states is protecting spikes allowing the bulls to become a little bit older and wiser. In Colorado that management scheme increased the average age by roughly two years in a relatively short time.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
So says the poacher's buddy. Yes I do have issues with people who are serial game law violators and I also have issues with those who defend them.

And funny the spider bull should come up, the characters who were involved in this BS had some of Doyle Moss' crew in EBurg scouting this very bull until they were told to knock it off.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Since the guy shot a 400+ bull it seems the restrictions are working.

However, I have no sympathy for someone who hunted where it was illegal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prm
I have no sympathy for someone who hunted where it was illegal.

I don't either, but this is not the kind of thing that will "reverberate throughout the hunting community."

J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by prm
I have no sympathy for someone who hunted where it was illegal.

I don't either, but this is not the kind of thing that will "reverberate throughout the hunting community."

There were plenty of defenders who said he will not be charged, we shall see.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I thought charges had been filed? What are we waiting to see?

The thing that perplexes me is how anyone who calls himself a hunter can think that taking an animal illegally, or with a phalanx of spotters is an accomplishment. I think it's a sad reflection on the "hunter."

Other than that, it's not news.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 41 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,628
Posts18,474,244
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.