Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
for Tomato plants and Rose bushes....

I'm not a big gardener but I do have a half dozen Tomato plants and about a dozen Rose bushes that I enjoy messing with....
I know there are plenty of plant specific fertilizers out there and that different plants need different nutrients but if there's one that would be good for both I'd sure like not to have to buy a lifetime supply of different products just to feed a few plants....

Any suggestions?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
10-10-10 50# bag should last you a long time. Rio7

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
10-20-10 is my vote I use it for all my veggies trees and flowers

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This sorta' thing is REGION SPECIFIC, and is totally dependent on YOUR soil.
There's gotta' be a district Ag. office, or local grower's , gardener's organization that can give you a starting point / baseline.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
for Tomato plants and Rose bushes....

I'm not a big gardener but I do have a half dozen Tomato plants and about a dozen Rose bushes that I enjoy messing with....
I know there are plenty of plant specific fertilizers out there and that different plants need different nutrients but if there's one that would be good for both I'd sure like not to have to buy a lifetime supply of different products just to feed a few plants....

Any suggestions?

My Dad put 10-20-10 in the ground when he transplanted the tomato plants, and swore by fish when he was cultivating them later, when they started to bear fruit. He would put the fish heads, guts, scales, etc., along side the tomato hills, a couple of inches under. He always had better tomatoes than anyone else. grin

He used the 10-20-10 as regular fertilizer for roses and other ornamental flowers.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without a soil test you're just guessing

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8-8-8 and triple 13 are probably the most widely used all purpose fertilizers.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Snyper
Without a soil test you're just guessing

Troof!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Seems like a lot of trouble for a couple dozen plants....I'm trying to simplify things...not make more work for myself...HA
Nothing's ever easy though..is it...
Lots of farmers around here...I'll ask around or maybe stop at the co-op...

Thanks

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
phosphate and potash are two of the main ingredients that the plants and bushes need. Don't get too heavy with the nitrogen. I personally like 6-24-24.

maddog

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
13-13-13 is the local favorite and available near everywhere already bagged. I put a small amount under about everything that I plant. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around here the most popular bagged fertilizer is 10-10-10, followed by 19-19-19. I will buy 6-24-24 when I can find it, and then buy a nitrogen fertilizer to use on sweet corn and tomatoes.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Around here the most popular bagged fertilizer is 10-10-10, followed by 19-19-19. I will buy 6-24-24 when I can find it, and then buy a nitrogen fertilizer to use on sweet corn and tomatoes.

And now we're right back to buying multiple bags of fertilizer for a dozen or so plants....
I've read that tomato plants like nitrogen but why not just buy something with a higher percentage of nitrogen...or is it detrimental to other plants like roses...

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Get the soil tested, it's not that expensive, or buy a kit and do it yourownself.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Miracle grow works great on most roses, unless they are rugosas which don't like anything on their leaves. You can buy a hose end sprayer bottle, add one bag of Miracle grow, and do all of it in about 15 minutes once a month.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And now we're right back to buying multiple bags of fertilizer for a dozen or so plants....
I've read that tomato plants like nitrogen but why not just buy something with a higher percentage of nitrogen...or is it detrimental to other plants like roses...

There have been times when the only fertilizer I put on my tomatoes was the triple 10, and I made a good crop. Too much nitrogen can be just as bad as not enough. A little nitrogen fertilizer goes a long way. Corn needs it more than any other crop, while beans get by just fine with very little, or even none. I don't think you would hurt your other plants, as long as you don't over do it.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
For what you are doing IMHO a soil test would be helpful but not necessary. Any fertilizer rated higher than 10-10-10 you go easy with. It is easy and tempting for those unfamiliar with fertilizer use to over do it. Asking knowledgeable locals is your best bet as they will know your soil type and what works best in your area.

Good luck.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

There have been times when the only fertilizer I put on my tomatoes was the triple 10, and I made a good crop. Too much nitrogen can be just as bad as not enough. A little nitrogen fertilizer goes a long way. Corn needs it more than any other crop, while beans get by just fine with very little, or even none. I don't think you would hurt your other plants, as long as you don't over do it.

OK....that helps...thanks...
Roses, tomatoes, and a few shrubs are all I have to worry about so I don't need a degree in Botany but a little knowledge never hurt anyone...
I'm going to town Saturday and plan to stop at the co-op....someone there should be able to help.....course...they'll want to sell me a pallet of the stuff but it's either that or put my faith in the pimple faced kid at Home Depot...Ha

Thanks again to everyone...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Test your soil and match to your crop. Best in my opinion is composted manure from cows, rabbits, and chickens. Fish emulsion is great as well but that is just me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blanket
Test your soil and match to your crop. Best in my opinion is composted manure from cows, rabbits, and chickens. Fish emulsion is great as well but that is just me

I have no doubt the organic composts you listed are good for any soil but what's the point in testing the soil when you have no idea how much of each nutrient needed is truly in each shovel of poop...or do you have all of it tested too....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 204guy, 222Sako, 160user, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.