Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
That's right. I'm going to get my food stamps right now.

I forget, was any federal money used to rebuild after Katrina?

Yep, but last I checked you could buy a burger or stay at a hotel for the same price that someone living their could do.

I know, it's difficult for you to comprehend.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Precisely why states set the hunting regulations and not the feds

Feds should manage it, it's their lands. I can see why all the westerners love their welfare though.

Obviously you can see why as you took full advantage of it when you were in AK.

Sure, they didn't ass rape you on tags. I always love how many bitch about wolves being introduced, but people in NYC have as much say over Federal Lands in MT as you do. As it should be.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
That's right. I'm going to get my food stamps right now.

I forget, was any federal money used to rebuild after Katrina?

Yep, but last I checked you could buy a burger or stay at a hotel for the same price that someone living their could do.

I know, it's difficult for you to comprehend.

You can buy a burger or stay in a hotel for the same price out west too.

That's obviously impossible for you to comprehend.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since the game apparently belongs to the Feds I would like to know where to send the bill for road ditch clean-up and crop damage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PO Box 1027
Poplar, Montana 59255

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Snorting.

Poplar(?), these are Wolf Point deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But isn't the sovereign's capital in Poplar?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
"If I had to make a choice between hunting and buying a new truck, if my truck was old and worn out, it would be a no-brainer. You need a good vehicle to go into remote hunting areas, so as not to be stranded."

Brilliant.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't mind the prices they charge for tags. It's expensive but where else are you going to go to hunt Elk, Mule Deer and Antelope. I have paid the price to Hunt Elk in Colorado for 10 years or more and have never bitched. And will again. My only idea on this is If I have to pay $600 bucks to hunt in Colorado then if people from Colorado or other states come to Missouri to hunt whitetail that they have to pay the same to hunt out deer. We get a lot of out of state deer hunters because our tags are cheap and we have large deer and many of them or we did have till the last few years. And they dont have to draw tags.

I love hunting out west so I will continue to pay what they ask as long as I can afford it. I wont complain.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure, they didn't ass rape you on tags.

Not sure if you're basing the ass-raping sentiment on an absolute value or resident-nonresident ratio, but the times they are a changin'. Maybe AK should've started the ass-raping a while ago. Fees are going up if signed by the Gov. Nonresident hunting license is going to $130, deer to $300, and elk to $600. Click on Full Text at this link to see all the new fees.

HB137 increases fees to offset cuts and preserve programs

The Alaska Legislature approved a bill to update certain fees for hunting and fishing licenses for the first time in nearly two decades. It’s been 17 years for nonresidents and 24 years for residents since some fees have been increased.

House Bill 137 is in response to the State’s fiscal situation, and ensures the Dept. of Fish & Game can continue its duties with as little effect on programs as possible under the State’s current revenue climate. Representative Dave Talerico sponsored the bill after sportsmen groups and individuals came forward in support of the idea.

“We really collaborated to tackle this bill, which will go a long way toward making the Department more self-sufficient,” said Talerico, R-Healy. “The idea of raising costs was tough to swallow, initially, but I’m glad we were able to bring this measure forward with the great support of all the user groups and my colleagues here in the Legislature. We recently reduced the ADF&G budget by more than $10 million and I want to make sure that programs that have positive results and increase hunting and fishing opportunities are maintained. HB137 has the benefit of also leveraging 3-to-1 federal matches for each license and tag fee we increase, meaning we can better support the Sport Fisheries and Wildlife Conservation divisions.”

A list of fees up for increase under the bill in its current form is available here.

HB137 passed the House last session. It now heads to the Governor for signature.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
I don't mind the prices they charge for tags. It's expensive but where else are you going to go to hunt Elk, Mule Deer and Antelope. I have paid the price to Hunt Elk in Colorado for 10 years or more and have never bitched. And will again. My only idea on this is If I have to pay $600 bucks to hunt in Colorado then if people from Colorado or other states come to Missouri to hunt whitetail that they have to pay the same to hunt out deer. We get a lot of out of state deer hunters because our tags are cheap and we have large deer and many of them or we did have till the last few years. And they dont have to draw tags.

I love hunting out west so I will continue to pay what they ask as long as I can afford it. I wont complain.

You got it. Just as soon as MO gives me an exemption on sales tax because we don't have one in MT.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

You got it. Just as soon as MO gives me an exemption on sales tax because we don't have one in MT.

Dont worry we wont charge you sales tax for your cheap deer tag. smile

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
DINK,

Here's you, on this thread: "The tag price doesn't pizz me off as much as how those tag prices got to be that high."

So would you be happy if Montana rolled the non-resident license price back to, say, 1969?

Tag prices are so high because of I161. Which was voted in by the residence of Montana.

It was voted in because of jealousy. A lot of hunters in Montana are jealous of guys that will dedicate time and money to hunt out of state.

I met several guys in eastern Montana that weren't dedicated enough to drive to central or western Montana to hunt elk.

If game and fish pooped on non-residents by raising tag prices that's one thing but this was voted in.

Dink

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DINK

It was voted in because of jealousy. A lot of hunters in Montana are jealous of guys that will dedicate time and money to hunt out of state.

$600! Man that's a lot of scratch. Surprised all those tags instantly sold out. Thanks for spending all the time and money in MT. Happy to pick up the scraps.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If DINK wanted bad enough to take his boys to Montana to big game hunt, he could have a yard sale or two, or his kids could get summer jobs cutting lawns etc and save up. People make choices, like its been said by others in this thread.
Its based on what their priorities are. So instead of admitting that your priorities didn't include saving for a Montana hunt for your boys, Dink has to throw several kitchen sinks into the discussion.

Awhile back, I had complained that hunting licenses and fees were getting expensive for me in my own state, as now I live on the somewhat fixed income of a senior. I got some excellent feedback on how I view my priorities. If hunting and fly fishing aren't figured into my budget, then it doesn't happen. Got to decide what's necessary and what's important to me. Got to budget for it, or find a way to get the money for it. So I go without some things, and make do with less, and sometimes sell stuff, so I can afford to get creek time with the fly rod, and get in the mountains for some hunting.

Last edited by Wyogal; 05/14/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DINK

LOL, this whole thread is about non-residents whining that they can't hunt Montana for the same price as residents.

It's obvious who's jealous of who.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can't think of a bigger disaster in the making, than the Feds controlling game populations. What's equitable gets defined at the federal level?

The states can run their tags up to the point of not selling them, to non-residents. What the market will bear. It doesn't have to be "fair".

We all know how "fair" works out, compliments of the current regime.

Last edited by tomk; 05/15/16.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If non-residents are scrambling to get tags for certain Western hunts, yeah we do know how its working. They want to hunt those states, and are willing to pay for it.
If you want to drive an Escalade, bad enough, you'll be willing to pay for it. Its already been said that, and is a common fact to those of us that live here, people take a huge cut in wages, just to live in these beautiful hunters' paradises, because its a priority in their lives.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Wyogal
If DINK wanted bad enough to take his boys to Montana to big game hunt, he could have a yard sale or two, or his kids could get summer jobs cutting lawns etc and save up. People make choices, like its been said by others in this thread.
Its based on what their priorities are. So instead of admitting that your priorities didn't include saving for a Montana hunt for your boys, Dink has to throw several kitchen sinks into the discussion.

Awhile back, I had complained that hunting licenses and fees were getting expensive for me in my own state, as now I live on the somewhat fixed income of a senior. I got some excellent feedback on how I view my priorities. If hunting and fly fishing aren't figured into my budget, then it doesn't happen. Got to decide what's necessary and what's important to me. Got to budget for it, or find a way to get the money for it. So I go without some things, and make do with less, and sometimes sell stuff, so I can afford to get creek time with the fly rod, and get in the mountains for some hunting.

The problem with this is that people have become so influenced by government that they have lost touch with ingenuity. Because government always wants more programs to fund, it is always looking for more money sources to fund these projects and rather than live within it's budget, government increases taxes. As a result, people are influenced by the same reasoning and when something they want costs more than they have, it needs to be lower priced or it isn't fair.

I'm not too old to remember that if I wanted to go to the Dairy Queen for an ice cream cone, I needed a dime. If I didn't have a dime, I didn't go. I never thought I should go to the Dairy Queen and tell them their prices were too high and expect a lower priced ice cream cone...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, where I grew up, we didn't even have a Dairy Queen.......

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,952
Posts18,519,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.