Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Great info guys. Thanks for your input. If we get a pop-up I definitely won't be hunting out of it. At this point, leaning towards a hard sided unit I'd say.

Our little hard side pop is a year around camping rig. Hunting out of it would not be a problem. Heck, if you are in a park with a 30 amp hookup it even has a heat pump for heat and air. If out in the wilderness it has a propane heater that will run you out.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Scott F

Our little hard side pop is a year around camping rig. Hunting out of it would not be a problem. Heck, if you are in a park with a 30 amp hookup it even has a heat pump for heat and air. If out in the wilderness it has a propane heater that will run you out.

Sweet set up Scotty. Whats inside? Fridge,bathroom, generator? How low does it fold down for traveling? That thing looks nice. Might have to trade my motorhome in on one.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best advice is buy a tent. You'll be much happier haha or stay in a hotel. Campers these days are built nothing like they used to be. Every manufacturer has so many issues with quality control its insane.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65

Sweet set up Scotty. Whats inside? Fridge,bathroom, generator? How low does it fold down for traveling? That thing looks nice. Might have to trade my motorhome in on one.

Fridge, microwave, stove, bed, table that can remove as it is a folding leg stand alone and two bench seats that along with the table make into an extra bed. BBQ on the outside, shower head on the back side but you would need to add a pallet or something to stand on and a pop up shower tent. Porta-potty will be set outside in the extra room with a pop up change room/shower room. When down it looks like any other pop up camper.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What about an older Motorhome?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Great info guys. Thanks for your input. If we get a pop-up I definitely won't be hunting out of it. At this point, leaning towards a hard sided unit I'd say.

Scott, what is the make and model on that pop-up? I'm getting too old for my tent.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Flagstaff. See it HERE

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Flagstaff. See it HERE

Scott, I see it has batteries and propane, any generator to run the microwave or strictly plug into 110v? I didn't see any listed on the product sheets.

Joe.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No generator built in but it is on our long term list along with some solar. My wife can hear a fle fart at a thousand yards in a thunder storm. If we do get a generator it will have to be quiet.

Since we lived off grid for a number of years the batteries will be enough to keep us happy for several days.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If going newer Nash is a quality trailer. If going a little older ID pick up an Arctic Fox! Nash is the new Arctic Fox. If going with a used camper it's worth your weight in gold to pick one up that's always been stored undercover.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I only ask about the generator because of the mirowave. grin It also helps to re-charge the battery or cell phone if out in the boonies for extended time. I like the idea of solar panels. They had a 40 amp one if I remember right.

I have a little honda 1000w generator that is quiet. Don't know it it would run the A-C or microwave on that trailer. I know it wont on my motorhome when I used it to charge my batteries when the one in the motorhome went out. Kind of fubared my hunting trip when it went out the first day. Most of my prepaired meals were frozen and ready to heat in the microwave. grin

Joe.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The kids are grown, and now the wife and I are thinking about buying a used camper. We don't have a real big budget-probably 4K on the high end. I think we'll go with a hard sided camper. This means I'll be buying something to tow it with. I drive a Ford Explorer now and would want something bigger, and set up to tow a camper. I'm thinking either an Excursion, Suburban, or a pickup set up with a towing package.

We're thinking about either a pop-up or a hard sided. I suppose if we go with a pop up I could tow with my Exlplorer, but we're not crazy about not having bathroom facilities. I may decide I want to use the camper to deer hunt out of, in which case we'd definitely want to go hard-sided.

Questions- Any particular brands to definitely look for or avoid?
Thoughts on renting a pop-up for a "kick the tires experience?"
What are the beds like in a pop-up? We're thinking about sleeping comfort with our backs not exactly being 100%

Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated. We anticipate towing the camper frequently, as opposed to parking it at a resort for the season. 20 feet is about as big as we can go due to storage issues at the house.

Thanks guys.

Did you consider this style: http://chaletinc.com/a-frame/

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The only downside to going to a motel is you are in a town, or near. Wife and I have had several popups, two hard sides, all small. The tent trailers would pull with a 4 cyl. Tracker through the mountains. Now the wife is crippled, I bought a too well used one in a mild panic, and it is a bit too small for taking grandkids along.

The things you need to figure is do you need a potty? Microwave? Heat? (I cannot find any furnaces that don't require a battery). Water tanks, holding tanks, heaters, batteries, all take maintenance, and will freeze.
Having to put it up to load is a pain, unless it has outside doors for access.
My hunting pard and I do fine in a "5 person" popup, he takes one side, I the other, portable heater, strategically placed facility with a proper seat, (we fill it when done), last time there already was one there. A small tent makes overflow storage. Before the wife got sick, she could do this, too, complete with dogs.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For heat I bought a catalytic heater. I tee'd into the gas line under the range and ran it out to the cabinet face, put a valve and quick disconnect. I run a 10' hose to the heater which sits on a stand. I can move it around as needed, it uses no batteries. In winter you can hunt all day and leave it going so it's warm when you get back. Feels like a woodstove.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use a Big Buddy heater connected to the main gas line. I've only been able to test it down to 25F but it warmed up nicely there.

For batteries, I switched to 2 6V golf cart batteries in series. The big ones sold by Interstate carry some serious juice. They are aren't cheap but 2 of them will carry more juice than 3 big 12v's. The yellow Interstate golf cart batteries sold by Costco aren't the same ones. They only have about 1/4 the capacity of the big green ones.

Look at the reserve capacity (RC). It's the number of minutes the battery will produce a current of 25 amps before the voltage drops to 10.5V. The Costco version is about 125 min. The big ones are about 425 min.
RC is probably the most important number to look for on a deep cycle battery.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65
I only ask about the generator because of the mirowave. grin It also helps to re-charge the battery or cell phone if out in the boonies for extended time. I like the idea of solar panels. They had a 40 amp one if I remember right.

I have a little honda 1000w generator that is quiet. Don't know it it would run the A-C or microwave on that trailer. I know it wont on my motorhome when I used it to charge my batteries when the one in the motorhome went out. Kind of fubared my hunting trip when it went out the first day. Most of my prepaired meals were frozen and ready to heat in the microwave. grin

We have not owned a microwave in years, probably at least fifteen years. Didn't want one when we bought this camper and will probably take this one out and use the space for storage. This refrigerator will run on 110, 12v or propane. I really don't care about the heat pump either but think I will probably leave it in there. The propane heater works really well. It also has a heated mattress but must be hooked to power. Wife and I would rather just use good wool blankets in cold weather but did use the heated mattress to warm the bed up before we got in once or twice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take the money you were going to use on a tow vehicle and throw it toward something like an A liner or trail manor if you want a hard side that is towable by an explorer. I have a 22' box (26' OAL) trailer that is 'half ton towable'. It is, but it works a 1/2 ton pretty hard. If you to frequently, long distance, and in the mountains you want a real tow vehicle. A low profile rig like an A liner, trail manor, or pop up doesn't catch much wind.

I rented a popup and I liked it but I am glad I have a hard side. Lots of places in and around Yellowstone where they won't let a popup or other soft side stay. The A liners look neat to me for one or two people.

All beds suck. Go to Sam's and buy a 5" or 6" memory foam mattress topper and live in total comfort.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Best advice is buy a tent. You'll be much happier haha or stay in a hotel. Campers these days are built nothing like they used to be. Every manufacturer has so many issues with quality control its insane.

I found this to be true myself. Had a pop up and it was basically a tent on wheels and a royal pain in the ass. For about $500 you can head to Walmart and outfit yourself with a tent, air mattresses, sleeping bags, a Coleman stove, and few comfort items and do 99% of what you would with a pop up.

Besides all the set up, hook up, and monkeying around.

Never again......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about buying a pickup and camper for it? That way your not limited to 55mph.

[Linked Image from ]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What about an older Motorhome?

This. If you look around you can find some really really good deals on a used motorhome. My folks just recently sold their 34 foot Bounder that was probably an early 90's model but in excellent condition for less then 5 grand.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.