-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly these says I'm not sure I'd be buying an AK. The only ones I think are truly solid rifles are the Bulgarian Arsenal's, and they're just over-priced. I love AK's I think they're great and a lot of fun, but in my mind there's a point where where he value/dollar curve dissect and I'm just not willing to part with that much cash for an AK.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Galil circa 80s folding stock

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Robinson circa 2015 folding stock 308

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy Borscht Batman. The least expensive Arsenal variant is $2k on their website.

You could build a TOP SHELF AR15 that would shoot sub MOA all day long.

And some of you are happy with 2.5" ? I don't understand.

Too me, they're just a fun "Pray-n-Spray" plinker.

JMHO

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Owl
Holy Borscht Batman. The least expensive Arsenal variant is $2k on their website.

JMHO

I paid $875 for mine and already have a few very accurate AR's. I imagine most folks here are the same. For me this is a hobby and the AK has a place in my safe. I could make a few bucks if I wanted to sell it but I kinda like having it around.

IC B2

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
they are certainly as best I can do about 3-4 inches at 100 yards with Tulammo. On the other hand the prices are not going down anytime soon. Are they worth $1200 as you can find a stamped Arsenal gun for sale in a guns store? That is really a personal decision and must be a lot of people buying them at $1200 as my LGS gets 3 in and they are gone in a couple of days. The cheaper $600 ones like that RAS thing seem to stick around, I guess the word is out on that gun.

An SKS also seems like a good idea and they are considerably cheaper.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Russian SGL-20 will shoot 2.5MOA all day long with Wolf Ammo; that's sufficient for anything I'm likely to ask of a combat rifle. Winchester and Remington brass cased 7.62x39 doesn't shoot as accurately in my rifle as the steel cased Wolf, and Wolf is WAAAY cleaner. Tula isn't nearly as accurate as my stash of Wolf, and it's even more dirty than the Winchester and Remington.

Now pick up a box of Lapua 7.62x39 and my SGL-20 will shoot right about 1.75MOA...but only the Finnish military can afford to shoot Lapua, and they do it in the finest military rifle ever built, the RK-95.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Owl

JMHO

Arsenal SRL107FR

[Linked Image]

IMO this is the finest AK out there and Atlantic has it for $999
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-side-folding-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

I still think that's over-priced, but in the grand scheme of AK prices, it's the best value if you have to have an AK.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have not been able to get much better than 3-4 inches out of one for 10 shots, even with a 2MOA aimpoint. Wish I had never sold my Bulgarian gun.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The AK is a good weapon, it's just a very different thought process from the AR.

Back around 2003 when special ops were playing around with different weapons, including a 7.62x39 upper and a lower that would accept AK mags for their AR's, they just weren't having much luck with such things. So their boss asked them why not use AK's when in the field for long periods of time (they wanted to be able to use captured ammo). The special ops guys all said the AK was chit. When their bosses told them to prove it, they had to do a very exhaustive series of tests on the AK, and lo and behold; they determined the AK was a good weapon, capable of pretty much anything they needed it to do in the field. So they dumped the 7.62x39 AR idea and have been using AK's ever since (for the ops where they expect to used captured ammo).

Holy Hogschidt do you ever read your crap before you post. Of course it took the the U.S. military until 2003 to figure out they may have to utilize Combloc weapons every now and then. This is a fact because you posted it .

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With all these "all day long" comments you would think an AK would show up in the challenge thread. wink

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/9834630/24HC_Black_Rifle_Challenge_Thr

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
Originally Posted by rost495
when you consider the average accuracy of the AR and ball and then the M1A and ball and then the M1 and ball, the AK can't really be all that bad.

At least you can sling those up when you shoot. Can't effectively do that with an AK. So, the practical accuracy of those is at least 2x better than the AK.

My club has 200 yard matches monthly. It's really not hard to find an M1 that will hold the 10 ring of an SR target using a sling. But I've yet to see anyone even hold a SR center with an AK. Even with a scope. It's just not a very "shootable" rifle.

You can sling an AK.... its no worse or better than any other non floated rifle IMHO.. IE not that smart to tension it a lot.

I've shot a couple of 200 yard matches with my AK... which his stamped laughingly on the side NM.... Dunno that I left the black all that often, but im not sure that I broke 700 much either in the end. Sights leave a LOT to be desired for my eyes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You can sling an AK.... its no worse or better than any other non floated rifle IMHO.. IE not that smart to tension it a lot.

AKs sling (and shoot slung) like hogschitt compared to even a rack-grade M1 or M14. And I've never seen barrels that walk so randomly. At least with an improperly slung, unfloated AR or FAL you know where the POI is going. Down.

Also, pure accuracy is one thing, but even that is nothing if the gun isn't shootable.

Last edited by BarryC; 06/02/16.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I need to find someone local that will loan me their RAS and shoot that 400 point challenge with it. I have not been shooting enough lately, this would be a useful comparison shot side to side with an AR.

Why the NRA finds that the gun produces 1 MOA groups!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/2/2/review-century-arms-ras47-ak-rifle/

but maybe not, closes on a no go gauge at 5000 rounds!

watch until the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7eK2SmGYM

Last edited by jimmyp; 06/02/16.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The finest Aks are the IMI Galil and Hadars, and the American Robinsons which will shoot with other military rifles
AK was designed as a tank support weapon and as the story goes shoot low for untrained shooters.
Current AKs work better with a stock change out. I have an Arsenal that does well on 8 inch plates to 200 yards of hand. Use of the scout Ultimak mount does wonders for consistency. My Maadi under folder uses a dot but does well. Comparing the accuracy to AR rifles simply means your shooting to slow, however an AR set up for 3gun will usually do better in that type of comparison.
My Robinson XCR will shoot with any AR. All shoot miserably compared with my Bean lower, McCormick trigger,PrS stock OPS Grizzley upper side charger with Lija barrel.
What does this show? Apples do compare to oranges when your only looking at the fructose content.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The finest AK's were/are the Finnish AK's hands down. The Robinson's are just VEPR's, which is a standard AK with a RPK receiver.

But the current Sako made RK95 is a whole lot better rifle than any Galil ever built, and world's better than the VEPR's.

[Linked Image]

So that's for the military rifles.

If you want the best of the best in a semi-auto, you want the Valmet M76. Most that were brought into the US were 5.56, but there were some 7.62x39's that made it in, and they're simply sublime. But they tend to run 3-4 thousand dollars; which kinda takes the fun right out of them.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Guess we will have to agree to disagree.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What are your opinions on a FEG SA-85m imported by KBI? I have one NIB, but I am not a fan of the thumbhole stock. are these known as good or bad shooters? Is it worth altering it for different grip, handguard and stock? It looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BarryC

AKs sling (and shoot slung) like hogschitt compared to even a rack-grade M1 or M14. And I've never seen barrels that walk so randomly. At least with an improperly slung, unfloated AR or FAL you know where the POI is going. Down.

Also, pure accuracy is one thing, but even that is nothing if the gun isn't shootable.

I guess I consider my AK so non accurate that sling had nothing to do with that issue... it wasn't wondering, it just patterns instead of grouping.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 14 invisible), 1,417 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.