Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
was looking for something for the wife at home here...

she doesn't like the Ruger 5 shot pistol I picked up for her... she thinks it hurts her wrist after shooting it 10 times or so...
its chambered in 38 Special, and that comment was made after shooting 125 grain bullets in the lightest load in my load manuals.

Was looking at the Browning 1911-380 at the store this evening...

How effect is the round compared to a 9mm?

They also make it in a 22 LR, so would that be just as effective...

I know she wouldn't notice recoil under stress... but I also a big believer in practice and range time with a firearm..to gain familiarity until its second nature...

I don't need her not wanting to do so "because it hurts my wrist"

My wife like others lives in a glass bubble half the time.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ruger SP101 in 327 Federal Mag. Practice with 32 H&R. Surpass the 38 special performance with 327 Mag. Six shots instead of five.

I can shoot 32 acp in my 327 Single Seven but it is not as reliable in the SP101 due to light primer strikes.

Last edited by kenoh2; 05/20/16.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
CZ82

She would be better off with a 22 she will shoot, than a bigger gun she won't shoot.

Last edited by SargeMO; 05/20/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SargeMO
CZ82

Was just thinking the same thing.

Seafire's wife had no trouble handling a k-frame and it's weight with 38 specials.

Thinking the wee bit heavy 82 with the 9x18 round may be just the ticket for lighter recoiling protection.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you get the wife an aluminum framed LCR? If so, they are rather light, only about 13-ounces, so everything you shoot out of it will have sharp recoil. For around the house, a steel lady smith J-frame is far easier to tame and shoot well, if wanting a pocket sized revolver. Even better, if for around the house, either a G43, or G19, depending on hand size, would have more mass and be much softer to shoot vs revolver.

A Glock and a good flashlight make for a good combo that would not be dreadful to manage like an LCR.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The 380 doesn't have the power of the 9mm by quite a ways. Because of the lighter weight guns, it will likely kick just as hard as the 9mm, though. That could be alleviated by using a heavier gun but the whole point of the 380 is it's small size and concealability. Nobody notices the recoil in an emergency situation.
The 380 is, however, much more powerful than a 22LR.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In an informal test of power and penetration, I shot a piece of metal plate with my .380 - and hollow points - that .22 LR "solids" from my longer barreled Ruger Standard had bounced off of. The .380 blew a bigger hole in the plate than my .44 mag with 300 gr Hard Cast did - at about 10 yards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Did you get the wife an aluminum framed LCR? If so, they are rather light, only about 13-ounces, so everything you shoot out of it will have sharp recoil. For around the house, a steel lady smith J-frame is far easier to tame and shoot well, if wanting a pocket sized revolver. Even better, if for around the house, either a G43, or G19, depending on hand size, would have more mass and be much softer to shoot vs revolver.

A Glock and a good flashlight make for a good combo that would not be dreadful to manage like an LCR.

Generally, I agree with Gary, but unless she's fairly accomplished with semi's, I'd probably advise you to stick with a revolver as the primary path.

Maybe a M-60 or even a 4" M-10 as long as it's just for around the house. Non +P ammo too.

Of course, if she can handle the semi's & the size, the G-19 is much preferred.

JMHO.

MM

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
IMHO, a 380 vs 9mm in a defensive gun makes little difference. You aren't going to be shooting much more than 15 ft, or your going to have a hard time convincing a jury that it was self defence. I don't like a 22 for defence, cause I have an acquaintance that was shot 4 times in the sternum and once in the head by an angry wife before he could take it away from her and call the police.

I like the 327 in a revolver for the reasons stated above if that is what she prefers, but the little Glock (42 ?) in 380 is nice, as is the S&W shield. Both have a larger grip that seems to reduce the recoil, and doesn't weigh a lot. Lots of good options out there if you can get her intrested.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
House gun or carry gun? Let's start there.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pres. Reagan survived a .22 to the lung. He wouldn't have survived a 380 or 9mm.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been dealing with this issue for years. I am afraid there is no answer to your question.

The Glock 19 is what is available anymore.

I suppose a 22 version of the full size gun will get her practicing.

Last edited by supercrewd; 05/21/16.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go with others that suggested a slightly heavier J or K frame Smith. While there are a bunch of great semi-autos on the market these days there is still a very good argument to be made for a revolver as the best weapon for an occasional shooter.

Women do not like recoil, period, and they don't care much for heavy guns. When our club held "ladies only" handgun training we offered a variety of semi-autos and revolvers in various calibers for the women to try and almost to a one they chose the Smith J and K frame .38 Specials as their favorite. The grips fit their hands and the recoil was well within their acceptable limits. Load target wadcutters for practice and heavier loads for serious use.

The big thing, though, is to let her try several different guns in a store and pick the one she likes without much regard to caliber or trying to steer her toward what you like. There is excellent self defense ammo on the market in all calibers these days so as long as a .380, .38 or .9mm is put in the right place they all are going to be better than angry words.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You could get her two Ruger SP101's. One in .22 rimfire for practice and the other in .38 for self defense. It would result in lots of inexpensive practice and familiarity with the gun.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My wife's shoots our K frame 4" 38 spl S&Ws with non +P ammo and Springfield 1911 45 acp with 230 ball much better than several semiauto 380s or 9mms including the CZ 75 B. She says the 38s & 45 triggers are better, the recoil's less and since she's not carrying the weights not a problem.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Did you get the wife an aluminum framed LCR? If so, they are rather light, only about 13-ounces, so everything you shoot out of it will have sharp recoil.
Yep. A steel Model 10 would have been a far better choice for a house gun than a super lightweight LCR. Even hot .38 Special loads are a pleasure to shoot out of one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Did you get the wife an aluminum framed LCR? If so, they are rather light, only about 13-ounces, so everything you shoot out of it will have sharp recoil.
Yep. A steel Model 10 would have been a far better choice for a house gun than a super lightweight LCR. Even hot .38 Special loads are a pleasure to shoot out of one.

What does your wife prefer?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Keltec .32 ACP. Only pistol my wife will shoot and feel comfortable with.

Beretta has a Tomcat .32 also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
was looking for something for the wife at home here...

she doesn't like the Ruger 5 shot pistol I picked up for her... she thinks it hurts her wrist after shooting it 10 times or so...
its chambered in 38 Special, and that comment was made after shooting 125 grain bullets in the lightest load in my load manuals.

Was looking at the Browning 1911-380 at the store this evening...

How effect is the round compared to a 9mm?

They also make it in a 22 LR, so would that be just as effective...

I know she wouldn't notice recoil under stress... but I also a big believer in practice and range time with a firearm..to gain familiarity until its second nature...

I don't need her not wanting to do so "because it hurts my wrist"

My wife like others lives in a glass bubble half the time.

smirk

Take her to a range that can rent a variety of guns, let her try a variety of them. Let her choose it, unless she picks something totally inappropriate...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pat,

that isn't an option here in Hooterville, Southern Oregon.

I think it is the gun vs the round...

She liked the LCR for the weight or lack thereof...

She can shoot it, just not for very long.

Getting her a shooting glove for range time was suggested... which may not be a bad idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.