Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bea175
Just declare it at check in and make sure you have no ammo in the same case with the handgun

I do it all the time... Loaded magazines and ammo box in the case with the pistol.... So long as you have the Blaze orange "Firearm Not Loaded" tag in the case and the slide locked to the rear I've never had a problem...

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The couple times I've flown with a gun I've zip-locked it open like you see at a gunshow. Not required and I don't know if it actually helps but I figure it might make some non-gun person feel better about the "unloaded" part.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I don't doubt you've done it with TSA locks but in what is a rare clear government directive.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock."

I got called back in Feb to open a shotgun case that has integral locks but that's the way it is.

I do keep the key. Must be and should are not interchangeable. You're accepting a suggestion as law, which is incorrect. What are TSA locks for?

So I should give them the combo to the locks if I don't use keyed locks? Do what you wish. I don't want to show up at the other end with an empty case.

Is that really your understanding of how TSA locks work? I understand we all have different experiences which forms our opinions and I'll continue with the system that's worked dozens of times and the one recommended by the TSA themselves.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't doubt you've done it with TSA locks but in what is a rare clear government directive.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock."

I got called back in Feb to open a shotgun case that has integral locks but that's the way it is.

I do keep the key. Must be and should are not interchangeable. You're accepting a suggestion as law, which is incorrect. What are TSA locks for?

So I should give them the combo to the locks if I don't use keyed locks? Do what you wish. I don't want to show up at the other end with an empty case.

Is that really your understanding of how TSA locks work? I understand we all have different experiences which forms our opinions and I'll continue with the system that's worked dozens of times and the one recommended by the TSA themselves.

I have TSA locks. I just don't use them on firearms. A million miles + on 2 airlines, Suspect I've dealt with TSA more than you. I simply can't see it a good plan to give anyone access to my firearms other than me.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you really want to keep pushin' this Aces?

The "system" you are using was recommended by a TSA agent, NOT the TSA. Big difference. Glad it works for you, but when someone asks for advice I'll tell them to look at the website and follow the rules.

TSA locks were developed for luggage, NOT gun cases.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Airline I last used wanted the ammo packed separately. Just find out what they want and have a good trip!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie
Airline I last used wanted the ammo packed separately. Just find out what they want and have a good trip!

My conclusion with the TSA, as usual with every thing that the Federal Government regulates, the right hand has no clue what the left hand is doing. Go ask 10 different post office employees about shipping guns (I have an FFL BTW) and you will get 10 different answers.

Thanks again guys! This gives me a lot of base line info.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3+ million miles on United, nee Continental, 1.5+ million on Delta, nee Northwest, internationally a metric fook ton more on Air Canada, BA, Singapore, Garuda, Philippines, KLM, Emirates. Qatar, Qantas, Copa, etc, etc.

I fly every week, and if going to a location domestically where I don't have a company apartment, and thus a CC firearm stashed there, I check a handgun. The conundrum is: read the CFR regulations as well as the TSA website. TSA locks are not approved for firearms cases by the letter of the law. The problem is that 99.999999999% of airline gate agents and TSA inspectors don't know the rule of law, nor their own airline rules and regulations.

The answer is; as other have said: Lock your handgun case with a solid key lock, and inside of it have both keyed copies of said, and TSA approved locks should some of the brain dead become the walking dead and try to think for themselves..

Works for me several dozen times per year...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to be sure there is a master key out there....and you know it will be more than just TSA agents who will have them...use a uniformed lock like a TSA lock. Just stating what seems obvious.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just drive.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Don't do what posters here say they have done.

Do what the airline and TSA rules require.

ALWAYS take a copy of the rules with you. Some airline employees don't know their own rules.

You can buy TSA locks at a hardware store. Use them.

Put two spare locks that use the same key inside the case with a note asking them to reinstall them if they cut the outside locks for any reason (they're not supposed to).

For international travel with rifles, you MUST use TSA locks and you MUST keep ammo in a separate locked case. That case can be inside your luggage but not the case with the firearm in it. I suspect that domestic rules with handguns are the same.

I have had them not inspect my rifle at all and, another time, look at the back of the bolt, without opening it, to see if it was "loaded." Be courteous but don't expect them to know anything. If you get hassled, pull out the rules. If still hassled, politely ask to see their supervisor.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Journeyman
3+ million miles on United, nee Continental, 1.5+ million on Delta, nee Northwest, internationally a metric fook ton more on Air Canada, BA, Singapore, Garuda, Philippines, KLM, Emirates. Qatar, Qantas, Copa, etc, etc.

I fly every week, and if going to a location domestically where I don't have a company apartment, and thus a CC firearm stashed there, I check a handgun. The conundrum is: read the CFR regulations as well as the TSA website. TSA locks are not approved for firearms cases by the letter of the law. The problem is that 99.999999999% of airline gate agents and TSA inspectors don't know the rule of law, nor their own airline rules and regulations.

The answer is; as other have said: Lock your handgun case with a solid key lock, and inside of it have both keyed copies of said, and TSA approved locks should some of the brain dead become the walking dead and try to think for themselves..

Works for me several dozen times per year...

This looks like it will cover all bases. Will print out regs too. Thank you.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Indy: Please provide the regulations for your comment : "international travel with rifles, you MUST use TSA locks" so I can "Do what the airline and TSA rules require". I don't want to "do what posters here say they have done".

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just expect that sooner or later, someone will get it wrong, and have plenty of patience ready to deal with it.

I was once in line behind an FBI agent, going through a security checkpoint, and I watched her quietly draw aside the TSA employee, showing her ID. She said, "I'm an FBI agent, and I'm traveling with a handgun in my bag." The TSA rep said, "No problem, just put your bag through the scanner."

It promptly set off alarms and security personnel swarmed in.

I won't repeat her comments (they weren't exactly ladylike).

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Don't do what posters here say they have done.

Do what the airline and TSA rules require.

ALWAYS take a copy of the rules with you. Some airline employees don't know their own rules.

You can buy TSA locks at a hardware store. Use them.

Put two spare locks that use the same key inside the case with a note asking them to reinstall them if they cut the outside locks for any reason (they're not supposed to).

For international travel with rifles, you MUST use TSA locks and you MUST keep ammo in a separate locked case. That case can be inside your luggage but not the case with the firearm in it. I suspect that domestic rules with handguns are the same.

I have had them not inspect my rifle at all and, another time, look at the back of the bolt, without opening it, to see if it was "loaded." Be courteous but don't expect them to know anything. If you get hassled, pull out the rules. If still hassled, politely ask to see their supervisor.

This^^^^^ is precisely how I have done it dozens of times and how I'll do it in the future. I don't know how many of the million milers that fly on Dubai and UAE Air check their firearms but every time I fly it have at least 2 firearms. I'll continue using TSA locks with a spare set in the case and I'll continue to open these threads and attempt to give folks advice that has worked and worked smoothly. From there folks can do as they wish. But once again "should" doesn't mean "must" and TSA locks are made for a reason. That reason is to access the contents without having to cut the locks and possibly delay or prevent the on time arrival of your firearms. Everyone's mileage will vary...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When my buddy bought his tuff case the factory rep suggested that he opt for them to install TSA locks on the rifle case. In his experience (hundreds or thousands of cases) the TSA locks were the only way to insure that that case makes it to the same location without delay. My buddy, like some on here, didn't like the idea of the buffoons being able to access his cases so he went with non TSA locks. Guess what? His (expensive) case was destroyed by TSA and it caused him a lot of unnecessary frustration. The TSA supervisor told him to order his next case with TSA locks installed. When the agency charged with making and enforcing the rules is as inept as the TSA there is a lot of room for interpretation and that's evident on this thread. There is more than one way to skin a cat....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When I started this thread I had no damn idea........

Thanks again for all the first hand experience. That's what I was after and I will be prepared when I fly this summer for the first time with a handgun.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have hundreds of airline trips with firearms under my belt, and I agree with just about everybody on this thread. The fact that everybody is saying different things accurately reflects the ignorance of the law and regulations of most airline and TSA personnel.

At this point I transport a handgun in a locked hard-sided case, with a non-TSA padlock (keyed). The ticket agent gives me my declaration card and I put it on the outside of the hard case, usually with a piece of clear tape to keep it there. I lock the case, close my suitcase, then lock my suitcase with a TSA combination lock. Occasionally a ticket agent will insist I put the declaration card inside the hard case. I never argue with them, and I don't bother to show them the regulations. I don't think they can read.

When transporting a long arm(s) I use a Pelican case with four lock-points, and I bring 4 TSA locks and 4 non-TSA locks. In Dallas, they'll insist you use the TSA locks. In Milwaukee, they'll insist on the non-TSA locks. Everywhere else it varies. You need both kinds to satisfy the TSA agent in front of you. I don't think they can read either.

Just bring both kinds of locks and then do what they tell you to do, unless they tell you to do something you know is going to get you arrested or guarantee your bag will be stolen.

In Miami one time the ticket agent had me lock my suitcase and then she took out a piece of paper and wrote "GUN" on it with a magic marker and taped it to my suitcase. I told her, "Ma'am, you just committed a federal felony. You'd best take that off." She bristled and said she was gonna make trouble for me. In short order a Miami cop and an airline supervisor showed up. The GUN sign was removed and she left with her supervisor with a very red face.

I will say that since they started the current system, I've never had a bag with a gun in it stolen or permanently lost. So that's a positive, I guess.

Last edited by DocRocket; 05/22/16.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone lets the cat out of the bag. You get to where you are going and there is no firearm. Do you get insurance to cover your firearm or luggage?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Couple suggestions after traveling extensively with a sidearm.

Regardless what the rules are, be prepared to deal with a gate agent or TSA employee that doesn't know the rules. I got to where I printed off the TSA regs and those of the airline I was flying on in case I ran into someone on a power trip and demonstrably wrong in what they were demanding of me or demanding me to do.

I have the exact same pelican case as you described. One thing I do differently than many is that once I have gotten through the gate procedures (some simply make you sign the tag while I've had a few require me to show the firearm is unloaded), placed my orange tag on the outside of the case (had one agent force me to place it in the case with the firearm) I lock the case on one corner with a lock that is very snug and won't allow the case to be pried open at all. Then I use one of the many phony cable locks that come with guns and I lock the case to the inside my luggage. I pack my firearm in a bag that is a roller and I have exposed the framework of the expandable handle. I run the cable around it and then through the second hole in the corner of the case.

Your pelican case can be incredibly resistant to breaking into. But it is very transportable and very little to keep an airline or TSA employee from opening your luggage, grabbing the firearm case and taking it to work on opening later in the convenience of their home.

Montana MOFO
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.