Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
Pat,

that isn't an option here in Hooterville, Southern Oregon.

I think it is the gun vs the round...

She liked the LCR for the weight or lack thereof...

She can shoot it, just not for very long.

Getting her a shooting glove for range time was suggested... which may not be a bad idea.
So she's carrying it, then?

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I would try a light load with 148gr wadcutters in a heavier revolver.

Light and DA can be tough place to start but she shouldn't be bothered by the recoil of 148's. If she is I'd get her a 22LR.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LCR in .327 would keep the platform and give practice options from .32S&W up with carry loads of .327 Magnum, in addition to having 6 in the cylinder instead of 5.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had my wife shoot several guns with the intent of her picking one she was comfortable with.

A Ruger lcp380
Kahr cw9
Smith 642

Oddly enough she picked up my Glock 30

And said that felt the best in her hand..she shot it and said she liked it. Proceeded to shoot another 150 rounds through it and I haven't gotten it back since

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went round with same thing for my wife Found that most 380s were so uncomfortable due to alloy franes. Wife ended up hating her ppk clone and I got her a SW airweight for ease of use- but she hates it for the same reason. It is super uncomfortable to shoot and she couldn't hit with it.

I went without her and bought her a smallish polymer Walther pk380 and she has raved about the thing ever since. Easiest slide to rack and softest recoil of any center fire I ever felt- by a longshot. 80 year old Dad's arthritic hands had no pain or problem whatsoever with it saying it was easier to rack than the Buckmark and and I agree. Wife is not a big gun nut but really enjoys shooting it (which was huge for me) and is darn good with it. The polymer soaks up recoil as does the little weight of the slide. The ergo's of Walther grips are famous. Hard to beat fro a smallish hand. Not a very expensive thing either. At least have her take a look at one and rack the slide etc...

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife, and both daughters are very proficient with pistols.

Wife has a G17 at the house. She decided to start carrying CCW due to two incidents that occurred in her very close proximity last year.

Taurus had rebates on their G2 Millenium 9mm last year. Up to three per household. Well, I bought three of them. She and one daughter took an NRA sponsored CCW refresher course.

Although not required in AZ, they both went through the classes to obtain a CCW in AZ.

The G2 in 9mm fits their hands just right. With 9mm +P 115 grain hollow points the recoil is not overbearing for them. The pistol is accurate enough for self defense.

The ammo that I have chosen for them ? Barnes +P 115 grn 9mm Tac-XPD. I'm looking at using the Federal HST 124 ammo. Testing on these show that the standard ammo is actually better than the +P version.

At any rate, I feel that they're well protected. The pistols are small enough for concealment in a CCW designed purse.

Was a great choice for our family.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Pat,

that isn't an option here in Hooterville, Southern Oregon.

I think it is the gun vs the round...

She liked the LCR for the weight or lack thereof...

She can shoot it, just not for very long.

Getting her a shooting glove for range time was suggested... which may not be a bad idea.
So she's carrying it, then?

yup.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
How does the 5.7 recoil? Or the 22 tcm, and there is a Glock conversion.

On another note I shot one of those Rhino revolvers, it doesn't recoil like a normal revolver. Ugly as sin and rather expensive though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife carries a Sig 225 9mm or a Smith 360.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 4ager
What does your wife prefer?

My thought too. Let her decide what she likes.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If she can handle a 380 try a Beretta 84 or a Browning BDA (same gun) in 380 it's a 13 +1 gun and she'll have plenty of rounds and should be easier for her to handle.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't need her not wanting to do so "because it hurts my wrist"

My wife like others lives in a glass bubble half the time.

A fortune cookie might say that somebody who is cajoled into doing something they don't want to do will find a reason to not like any option. Load the existing gun with the lightest 148 grain wadcutter load that won't get the bullet stuck in the barrel and consider 10 rounds a year to be adequate until you can figure out a way to make her think shooting is fun. Buying more stuff for a disinclined person makes it look like you are wasting money. The best scenario is when they try something you already have and steal it from you because it's fun.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My wife would like an LCP but I suspect her hands would regret it.

For those of you who have shot both, how does the LCP recoil compare to the LC9S?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Read up on the Beretta 84 safety issue before going there for a defensive pistol. In a nutshell, the lever will move away from fire and click into a clear and distinct detent, but still not be on safe. It will fire if the trigger is pulled. OK for a range toy, but too messy for the already messy potential of a DGU.

Watch Ammoquest on Youtube for his .380 gel tests. The 90gr XTP appears to be the only projectile designed for the caliber that consistently works well. This is backed up by tests that, if I remember right, were published by Lucky Gunner and show it to be the most consistent and best meets the FBI criteria in gel. If you're willing to contemplate loading your own ammo for defensive use, you can of course load these to the velocity range that gives good results in 9mm cases.

I want to like the Browning, but the fit and finish aren't nearly what they should be for a $600 pistol. The Al-frame 22s are much nicer and cost less.

Rimfires are more likely to have primer-related ammo reliability issues than centerfires. But 22WMR is better than screaming.

The FN 5-7 has minimal recoil, but is a big pistol. USP45-big.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My wife is also very recoil sensitive and it took forever to decide on a pistol that worked for her. The best thing we did was go to an indoor range that had a large rental case and tried almost every common type of semi auto and revolver out there. We even took a note pad to write our thoughts down on. For shooting comfort she liked a GP100 with light 38 loads the best, for carrying a ppk or bersa size 380. She ended up deciding on a sig 232. I think the biggest help to the whole situation was she got to shoot and decided what she liked.

As far as the practicing aspect, and gaining familiarity, making the practice fun is what is important. Finding shooters that are about the same skill level, or adding in goofy type games makes all the difference.

Last edited by blott2007; 05/23/16.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The safety on the Beretta 84 is no big deal. The gun is basically a DA/SA, gun. just like a LOT of other guns. With 13 rounds you have a lot of firepower. It's the type of gun recoil sensitive people can handle. Either it fits a particular lady or it doesn't. If it fit's her and she'll keep it with her it's worthwhile. Buy descent bullets, there are a few different ones out there.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

she doesn't like the Ruger 5 shot pistol I picked up for her... she thinks it hurts her wrist after shooting it 10 times or so...
its chambered in 38 Special, and that comment was made after shooting 125 grain bullets in the lightest load in my load manuals.

Just a thought, but can you reload some rounds that are reduced in power even more for her to practice with and load it with the real thing for emergencies? Kind of like SR4759 loads for centerfire rifles???

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
my wife has a Kahr P380 that she shoots OK with, I wanted to move her up to the 9mm, however one big problem is loading the pistol. Pulling the slide all the way back can be a problem for some people on some pistols.

I have never been a big fan of the FN 5.7 but I have to wonder if its not a CCW how easy one of those would be to load i.e. "rack the slide". I am sure it would be better than a 22 long rifle.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
If she can handle a 380 try a Beretta 84 or a Browning BDA (same gun) in 380 it's a 13 +1 gun and she'll have plenty of rounds and should be easier for her to handle.
I was thinking of recommending that too. Back when I was a kid, that was the handgun I drooled over in the Gun Digest. For some reason, I never actually bought one. Likely for the obvious reason that handguns that size became available in 9mm not long after my handgun-buying days started. But in this particular case, it might make very good sense.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are importing the double stack 84s again, for $700-800 street price without night sights....

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 3,431 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.