Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought she just left it behind? I missed where she actived it....

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
From all ive seen here, it just looks like she was pure stupid.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm still trying to figure out why she would activate her SPOT and then leave the area without it.

She had to go potty.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
From all ive seen here, it just looks like she was pure stupid.

Surprisingly enough people that think the world is a dangerous miserable place where it pays to minimise risk and that they are responsible for their own safety and security...are a minority.

That said, it is a miserable end and I wish the remaining family well.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I thought she just left it behind? I missed where she actived it....
I got the idea that they'd found it because it was activated. Maybe I got it wrong. But, that would lead to an even bigger question - if she had it but didn't activate it, why not? Her situation is exactly what it's for.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jimy
with todays GPS's there is very little reason for this to happen.

... assuming you have a GPS receiver. Many do not feel the need nor want the cost of a receiver. I was involved with the development and implementation of GPS land navigation in the 1980's and do not own a receiver. I've just never felt the need; a compass (used as a USFS Smokejumper 53 years ago) suffices for my needs.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm still trying to figure out why she would activate her SPOT and then leave the area without it.

She had to go potty.

She paid a horrific price to go potty!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The sky was not cloudy for 26 days. If you went out without basic orienteering skills and a compass and map you lack common sense.

That goes for people who rely on GPS too, look, chit breaks and batteries die. A compass will last for several life times.

Last edited by Armednfree; 05/26/16.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For whatever unfathomable reason, she wanted to die, and picked her way to go.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It sounds to me like she was in way over her head as far as having any survival skills. So she did what she had been told--which is when you're lost just stay put until someone finds you. Not a bad plan really.

I just don't see how someone starves to death in 26 days. Even without food, it would be rare to starve out in that time. Also, a desperately hungry person usually starts finding something to eat in the woods, even it were only crickets and worms and such.

And no sign of a fire? Why wouldn't even the most ignorant person light up a fire and try to smoke in some help?

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I read this story this morning, I smelled a rat. I think this gal wanted to die.
She didn't want it to look like suicide so she set it up to look like she was just lost in the woods and died by the cruelties of nature.

I think she committed suicide. Probably took a dozen Vicodin and two glasses of red wine, and laid down and never woke up. As far back in the woods as she was, she knew they could never do forensic testing to find the dope or booze.
I feel sorry for the guys who found her rotten skeleton, that is one image they will never get out of their minds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel sorry for the guys who found her rotten skeleton, that is one image they will never get out of their minds.

This is interesting to me. Maybe it's because I'm old, I don't know. To find a rotten skeleton would not bother me at all, except my concern for the family who lost a loved one.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some folks just shouldnt be in the woods. Shes one of em. Hell, hunters get lost every year here in northern PA. Ill never understand it. Walk the ridges and eventually youll get your bearings. Get in the hollows or follow a stream youll end up 10 miles away or walk in circles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think it was a suicide. She was supposed to be with another person and they ducked out at the last minute. Plus she tried to send failed text messages asking for help.

I think it was just a simple case of a city person being in the woods. I think it would surprise most outdoorsman how naive city people can be when it comes to the woods.

And quite frankly, being a woman might have had something to do with it. Their brains just don't work in a way that would be useful in such a situation. Some of the questions my girlfriend has asked me over the years make me wonder if she'd make it out or not in a similar situation.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by popesixtus
Rule 1:

Don't go out in the big bad woods alone.

Rule 2:

See rule 1.

Shut the fugg up Larry. Woods are plenty safe if you know what you're doing.

Maybe YOU shouldn't go out in the woods alone, but the rest of us adults can.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
WALK DOWN HILL. It'll get you out. Got me out of the Cascades in an afternoon, bout 40 years ago. Downhill always leads to roads, bridges, etc. It never lets you walk in a circle.

THIS !!!
There is nowhere in the Pecos Wilderness (~ 222K acres) I could not walk out of in 3 days, max - going slowly enough to not hurt myself (sprain, broken leg, etc.)

Last edited by mark shubert; 05/26/16. Reason: detail

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A pretty good story here.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/us/missing-hiker-geraldine-largay-appalachian-trail-maine.html

...And this guy hiked this section of the trail, here's his blog complete with photos and map....

http://sectionhiker.com/section-hike-stratton-to-rangeley-on-the-maine-appalachian-trail/

The lady was on anti-anxiety meds and had no sense of direction. Most likely couldn't read a contour map either like any one of us could have to navigate even without a compass.

One gets the sense that, without a clear trail to follow, this lady was absolutely clueless in the woods. In hindsight this was a train wreck bound to happen once the trail got vague and the woods thick.

Still, this particular example of stupidity shouldn't have been a capital offense. All she endangered was herself.

I do feel sadness for her husband of 44 years, no mention of any kids. He had been her chase vehicle the whole way. I'll bet he was as clueless as she was.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have hiked parts of the AT in NJ,NY & PA and have hunted the big woods of ME's Aroostook County. I know haw vague the trail can become in certain areas and have had a hunting partner get disoriented in the ME woods. So I can understand the situation, the surprising part to me is that the Warden Service's search failed to find her when she was only 1K yards off the trail. I would have thought the search would've extended that far to either side of the trail in the vicinity of her last known location. How her tent escaped detection by searchers in the air and on the ground is pretty puzzling too. There's more to the story especially since evidence seems to show she made little or no effort to extricate herself from her predicament. The BR story sounds really suspicious, I've never lost sight of the trail when I've had to answer nature's call.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That was one expensive [bleep].

Talk to anyone that has done the AT and they all say that New England in general and New Hampshire and Maine in particular aren't for the faint of heart.

Last edited by JDK; 05/26/16.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
No idea if it's possible to tell postmortem, especially given the reported condition of her remains, but at her age maybe she suffered from some level of dementia.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (1_deuce, 2ndwind, 300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338rcm, 35 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,015
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.