GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Take a 12 gauge shell and uncrimp the end
dump out #6 shot and fill with Rock salt
Re-crimp and add a touch of hot glue.
Spank the offender at close range and repeat as he departs.
Of course from a safe OP
Guarreenteed "trouble" bear repellant

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You are putting yourself and your dogs at risk if he comes back and you dust him with rock salt. What if he doesn't like that little dose of medicine and attacks YOU? That shotgun loaded with salt isn't going to do you OR your dogs any good if things go south during the "education" process.

Take your rifle and your bear tag and dump him. A bullet to the ear is magic and in this case, you definitely need a DRT. BTDT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by ironbender
Bad idea. Relocated bears either return in short order or are killed causing a problem somewhere else.

Kill it and eat it.
That's not true. Sure it does happen, but that's not the norm, it's the exception. At least that's not true for the places I've lived. I've never lived anywhere that had more bear relocations than Lake Tahoe, and the vast majority go on to have normal lives elsewhere. It comes down to where the bears are relocated. If you move them 5 miles down the road to another thickly populated place, well then yeah; it's going to remain a problem bear. But the bears in Tahoe are taken at least 100 miles away and rarely are they ever a problem again.

Wow! Just wow!

Let's spend thousands to move a bear from an area so over-populated the state has declared it a predator control area... and put it where? The next predator control area up the road? 100 miles is nothing to a roaming bear...

I'm shocked, a clueless post by Kevin? Tell me it isn't so?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bear going through your property isn't an issue, but one hanging around would concern me. If you're in an area where you can legally take one with a tag, then it's a no brainer. Get a tag and punch it. It's funny how often bears are troublesome when you can't take one, and are nowhere to be seen when you can.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Black bears get et on first contact. Brown bears get whacked if they come back after taking a load of Nitro Steel to the a$$.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
You are putting yourself and your dogs at risk if he comes back and you dust him with rock salt. What if he doesn't like that little dose of medicine and attacks YOU? That shotgun loaded with salt isn't going to do you OR your dogs any good if things go south during the "education" process.

Take your rifle and your bear tag and dump him. A bullet to the ear is magic and in this case, you definitely need a DRT. BTDT.

Yup no way am I pissing a bear off that may in turn take out his pissed offness on my dogs.
It's shoot to kill, no hesitation because he's all cute and furry. Have the tag and live where I can harvest him, my dogs are very important to me.

He doesn't seem to want to just wander through, he wants to hang around. I've got moose, fox, beavers and in the past other bears that just wave as they pass and continue on, I'm good with that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Elf

Yup no way am I pissing a bear off that may in turn take out his pissed offness on my dogs.
It's shoot to kill, no hesitation because he's all cute and furry. Have the tag and live where I can harvest him, my dogs are very important to me.

He doesn't seem to want to just wander through, he wants to hang around. I've got moose, fox, beavers and in the past other bears that just wave as they pass and continue on, I'm good with that.

Jesus Elf, where do you live...heaven?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Way too much over thinking for this minor problem. Kill it and be done with the matter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Annie,....what IronBender said.

Bon Apetit'

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Elf

Jesus Elf, whee do you live...heaven?

Pretty much..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Will they even relocate black bears in AK?

Odd if they do.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Annie,....what IronBender said.

Bon Apetit'

GTC

grin

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Odd if they do.

They've been known to when people cry about the cute fuzzy garbage eating bears and how they must save their little furry faces. whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Time to grab the first rifle you see and plunk one in his head.. uncle had to do that in wisconsin a few years ago, bear kept coming around destroying bird feeders, then on night it started on the chicken coop. he caught a round from a 444marlin to the ear. which opened him up like a ripe watermelon. Was a juvenile male.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first visit is his last.....loaded 9.3 behind the door.....The little neighbor kids wait in front of my house for the school bus.....I just can't have a visiting bear nor loose sled dogs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When do you consider a bear a nuisance bear?

When I don't have help packing him out.

LOL
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Some people have figured out that if they quit putting out birdseed in the spring then the bears will quit tearing down the feeders.
Some people leave cat food and dog food all over and then wonder why bears come around to eat it.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by ironbender
Bad idea. Relocated bears either return in short order or are killed causing a problem somewhere else.

Kill it and eat it.
That's not true. Sure it does happen, but that's not the norm, it's the exception. At least that's not true for the places I've lived. I've never lived anywhere that had more bear relocations than Lake Tahoe, and the vast majority go on to have normal lives elsewhere. It comes down to where the bears are relocated. If you move them 5 miles down the road to another thickly populated place, well then yeah; it's going to remain a problem bear. But the bears in Tahoe are taken at least 100 miles away and rarely are they ever a problem again.

Please post again when you have a clue.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Odd if they do.

A year ago there was a sow with 2 or 3* cubs in Anchorage. After many chances, F&G was going to 'euthanize" them until our stupid governor got involved.

They were moved to a secure location that turned out to be the KP. That was figured out when they were shot about a week and a half later for engaging in the same behavior.

*5 bears.
http://www.adn.com/wildlife/article...ation-humans-hope-campground/2015/06/23/

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,722 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.