Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've only seen one HB so far

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want to thank whoever read my post and did something about it. In the last couple days, my birds have arrived and they are hungry! The only thing I can think of that makes this year different from previous years, is how wet it was in April and May. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. I'm just glad they're home. I hope they're back in PA as well.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
About a month later here in CO @8000'. Here now though in good numbers.

LC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Terryk
We usually get some HB by now. I am changing the feeder juice but no birds yet. Kill deer are also very light, as well as tree swallows.

I'm in Centre County as well and we have had hummingbirds for the past couple weeks. We have quite a variety of birds at the feeders this year put have largely stopping feeding other than hummingbirds due to the bears tearing the feeders down and breaking them.

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had 2 come into the hanging petunia baskets but they don't like the feeder hanging off my smokehouse adjacent to the porch. I just moved the feeder. Next step is a new bottle of the nectur mix. I have been changing it but maybe the mix is somehow sour. I know they don't like old juice. At least they are in my area.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Can you go a week before changing feeders?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I go for 4 days or so. I use well water, so it may have starter microbes to make the juice bad. They do reject it at some point. I was using the concentrate from last year. It just came again, took one taste and flew off. I opened a new bottle of concentrate and put out a second feeder as a test. Something to do. Interesting to see if the new food works. Good excuse to sit on the back porch.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had my feeder out for about a month and nothing was coming in. Last week they started in on it now I am refilling every few days.

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
HBs are hitting both of my feeders hard now. Maybe the cardinal nest was an issue or we had tremendous full honeysuckle bushes as alternate food. I made the mix a bit richer than 3/1 water/mix. They seem to feed longer on the richer mix.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have very few HBs here in Omaha. The most that I've ever seen in one place was at the base station of the Pike's Peak railroad in Colorado Springs.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no hummingbirds this year at our place in Ohio either frown

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I just bring in the empty feeders and hang the full ones. Wife does all the mixing. I've never looked at the mix containers, do they contain sucrose,( cane sugar) or dextrose(from sugar beets)?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
To yield larger portions, mix at the ratio of 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. The solution will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

I always heard to use cane sugar, but don't know why. We buy some powdered mix, but just use a tiny bit to make the water rose colored, rest is the above. I put the little bit of bought in the measure and finish it to a cup of sugar, then put a cup of hot water and mix. Then finish the water with cold. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in Northern MN for a few weeks and there was no shortage of them. 4/1 well water/cane sugar is all I've ever used with good results.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I use a red premix from Lowes. I guess it does not matter but that juice has a preservative according to the label. They suggest mixing with 3 parts water to one part concentrate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have flowers and a feeder but no HB's other than an occasional that flys in and leaves before they test the flowers or feeders. What are we doing wrong??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have hummers a plenty. Running two feeders that get filled up twice a week. No shortage of many, many birds at my feeders.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What are we doing wrong??

Maybe nothing. Maybe they just like some places better than others. I do think that they tend to come back to the same places year after year and you will get more as time goes on. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in the south hills near Eugene, Or. we have more hummingbirds than ever before.

Some times we will have a dozen buzzing around our feeder at once.

Usually refill the feeder once a day.

Also LOTS of Finches eating from a thistle seed feeder.

And lots of Mtn. Quail, Doves, and song birds.

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw one here last week. I don't normally put out a feeder, but I hope they make it your way soon. They are fun to watch.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (22250rem, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,398
Posts18,488,906
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.