Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
]It didn't work on 9/11. We need some security but here has to be a better way than this.

It worked fine on 9/11. The terrorists walked on board with box cutters, those weren't prohibited items. Security did exactly what they were tasked to do, they let them carry them through. It was in no way a failure of the screeners but rather the policy makers far above the screening agent's pay grade. Creating the TSA to address it was idiotic, the screeners themselves weren't the problem.

I'm an airline pilot so I deal with this constantly. Passenger screening is way overboard and is mostly theater to make the public feel safe without really doing anything. The real threat is the ramp workers that are only screened at hiring then given a badge that gets them into the ramp without screening. There are thousands of them coming and going every day with access to the aircraft and in most places they're just waved through when they flash their badge. In a place like Paris Charles DeGaulle airport where the ramp workers are 20+% Muslim that's a problem. I flew a plane from Charles DeGaulle the day before the Egyptair crash. The hair stands up on the back of my neck every time I go through that place. If you look at their ID badges it seems like every ramp worker there is named Mohammed. That's where the real problem lies. Examining the anal orifices of Jewish grandmothers isn't going to do squat.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
TSA, add it to the heap with

Social security
Veterans Administration health care
Medicare
Oboma care
Welfare
Most farm programs

They and many others are totally mismanaged and in most cases totally un needed

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kwg020
TSA treats their folks like $hit. A large part of the issue is the big turn over. I hear 20% a year. There are few long term employees to make good solid decisions about what people are bringing in with them and what is acceptable and what is not. There is no leadership at the top or in the middle.

Of course, there is absolutely NO profiling which would help immensely. I also see where someone could walk in with a bomb and never make it on a plane and kill hundreds. Something that happens all the time in the middle east.

Add onto this what people are trying to get away with. The rules for getting through the line are simple. Just follow them.

Last but not least are the air lines. A $25 fee just to put a bag underneath is unacceptable. The air lines should be the last people to whine and moan about any lines.

Let me also add this. The TSA tried to loosen the rules based on the current threat and extra security measures aboard planes. That was all set to implement until the air waitress unions blew a gasket and had it squashed.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Passenger screening is way overboard and is mostly theater to make the public feel safe without really doing anything.

..and 90% of forbidden items are missed by TSA.

It's just money...

Transportation Security Administration
Agency overview
Annual budget $7.55 billion
(2015)

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Flew Friday night, Mexican security confiscated the unopened bottle of water I forgot was in my backpack, not a big deal, lines were short. Coworker that was in transit from the US to Mexico at the same time did get through with a pocket knife in his jean pockets, not found until he made it to the hotel that night.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,091
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.