Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I have driven 12v Cummins for decades, but in 2010 the new wife suggested a Prius for us. 2010 had the "new" engine.

After I jumped up and down 25 times and had my tantrum... we went and looked at them.

They are BRILLIANT cars. Virtually no maintenance and 54mpg (which equates to about 6-10 new guns a year for me... which is an extra fun poke at the Guberment to boot).

By no maintenance, I mean that in 107k and 6 years, I have done 15 oil changes, 2 sets of tires, 2 sets of wipers, two air filters, two cabin filters and need to replace the 12v accessory battery (the $80 one) here shortly. Brakes are still at 70% plus and the main battery is supposed to hold up to 300k+ with the way I drive.

The world is filled with stupid overpriced stuff that breaks, but AKs, Glocks, 12v Cummins and 2010/new Prius are not among that list.

FYI, they are silly fast (VVT engine PLUS electric motor) and huge BTW (I am 6'5" and 240).

Still have the Cummins and farm trucks, but the Prius does fine when I don't need a dually.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When my son got married 6 years ago, his in-laws gave them a new Prius for a wedding present. It's been flawless so far. It'll cruise at 75 or 80 and gets 50+ mph doing it. They put 2 child seats in the back and a small adult can still get in with them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Raising taxes, or implementing new taxes, should NEVER be the answer to any problem. There is no question that 'administrative costs' (bureaucracy, graft, corruption, inefficiency, etc.) are on the rise and cutting *that* fat would allow dollars to go to funding/fixing roads. The monster that we call government *should* leverage it's power to benefit it's citizens rather than act punitively towards them, they should practice fiscal responsibility rather than make up for *their* shortcomings by further taxation, and there'd be plenty of money for roads and other infrastructure. Seems like *this* should be demanded of the government rather than showing support for 'any' further taxation.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I look at a Prius the same way I look at the Scion xA my folks gave my son.

I have no issues with the mechanics of either vehicle...

its just why did they have to put such a HoMo looking body on the darn things?

Why aren't they selling a Corolla version of a Prius then?

while I'm on my soap box, why wouldn't they make them diesel/electric for even better mileage?

Ugly sells as does Stupid Looking in today's society.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 1minute
Don't like that either. We're encouraged to conserve and then have to pay for it.

Years back in a dry period BPA was having a tough time meeting demand. Ash us to cut back on power use and then up the price when we did.

Progress and technological advances should make things less expensive. Seems the government finds a way to make sure that never happens.

I'm doing my best get us away from fossil fuels by burning as much diesel as my F350 can process. I don't like the cold winters either so I'm pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere via my wood burning as well.

Austin did the same in a drought in past years. BEGGED people to conserve water. They did. And then Austin ran low on money because of low water use thye asked for... upped the bills...

Same thing happened in the DC suburbs. Had to conserve water. No water on restaurant tables unless requested, etc, etc. A couple years later, they were demanding a rate increase due to lower revenues caused by the conservation they asked for. Makes as much sense as raising the subway fares to recover the income they lost because of reduced ridership caused by high fares.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I have driven 12v Cummins for decades, but in 2010 the new wife suggested a Prius for us. 2010 had the "new" engine.

After I jumped up and down 25 times and had my tantrum... we went and looked at them.

They are BRILLIANT cars. Virtually no maintenance and 54mpg (which equates to about 6-10 new guns a year for me... which is an extra fun poke at the Guberment to boot).

By no maintenance, I mean that in 107k and 6 years, I have done 15 oil changes, 2 sets of tires, 2 sets of wipers, two air filters, two cabin filters and need to replace the 12v accessory battery (the $80 one) here shortly. Brakes are still at 70% plus and the main battery is supposed to hold up to 300k+ with the way I drive.

The world is filled with stupid overpriced stuff that breaks, but AKs, Glocks, 12v Cummins and 2010/new Prius are not among that list.

FYI, they are silly fast (VVT engine PLUS electric motor) and huge BTW (I am 6'5" and 240).

Still have the Cummins and farm trucks, but the Prius does fine when I don't need a dually.

I never say never.... how do you have to drive to get 300 K out of the batteries?

I drive 10 plus one way to work daily, and a couple fire/ems fast runs beyond that often.

I expect 200-300 K out of a gas vehicle...

What does it take to get it out of prius without having to replace 5-10K of batteries?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been years, but when I was in Texas they had toll roads. Very simple. You pay to use the road. Those who don't don't.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing

I never say never.... how do you have to drive to get 300 K out of the batteries?

I drive 10 plus one way to work daily, and a couple fire/ems fast runs beyond that often.

I expect 200-300 K out of a gas vehicle...

What does it take to get it out of prius without having to replace 5-10K of batteries?

I expect 750k+ miles out of a 12v Cummins (with A/T repairs/rebuilds every 200k)...

The 300k on a Prius is just a guess, but I am hopeful of that. If not, $4k (ACTUAL HIGH END cost for main batteries)... every 12 or so years years isn't that hateful. 12 years again being a guess.

Traffic is hard on the batteries from what I gather, always charging/discharging... but again only speculation (no actual experience). Heat in a sealed car parked in the sun would also be a guess on battery wear... think cordless drill maintenance procedures.

The real savings is not having to deal with the nit picky stuff like belts, alternators, starters etc. A Prius simply does not have them. Gay as hell for a gearhead, but I am sold on them... like Glocks, they just work.

Yes they a sissy looking car... so what, the 6-10 guns I buy every year on the $$$ saved ain't!

Last edited by CashisKing; 06/01/16.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Seafire
While I'm on my soap box, why wouldn't they make them diesel/electric for even better mileage?

Ding Ding... diesel and MPG are PERFECT, but when you add the EPA and all the BULL SCHIT regulations a decent diesel with great MPG will never be available in the USA. TOO MANY STUPID GUBERMENT RULES!

Case in point... VW tricked the EPA and got great MPG... then they got caught and bye bye on any hope for a 50-60 MPG diesel in the USA ever again

Last edited by CashisKing; 06/01/16.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
EPA should die.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It's manufactured by Toyota. One should expect 300K+, especially with lighter engine use.
But our 'roads' system is based on fuel consumption/taxes to pay for it. So modifications would be needed to that system when many newer vehicles consume less fuel.

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
EPA should die.....

The EPA has it's place in the world.

Actually, that is incorrect. They have their place in hell is what I meant to say.

California bans lead, because condors "allegedly" die from eating lead... how many other critters will be lost and die from wounds from non lead (less than fully lethal) bullets.

Since lead shot was banned on geese, I have wounded and lost dozens and dozens of geese. Is this the same number that would have died from eating lead pellets? IMHO... NO POSSIBLE WAY.

Last edited by CashisKing; 06/02/16.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.