Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
But I fail to see how parents that let their children run wild are not culpable when they run straight into the arms of trouble. At least partially.

I agree with that. But there are a hundred scenarios where this could have happened without the kid "running wild".

Sometimes crazy stuff happens. Only the very self-righteous, very ignorant or very sheltered deny that. (You're none of those, that's just for the benefit of folks reading this.)

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by deflave

No, and that makes no difference either.

Sure it does.

Because if you had kids you'd recall one or two "oh schit" moments when they disappeared on your ass.

It happens to the best of parents.

Dave

If one doesn't have them then one can't understand. wink

A kid screwed up, a gorilla was killed because of it. The world kept right on churning round and round.

Similar fallacy: Since I'm not a tenor in a professional opera company I can't say Roseanne's rendition of The Star Spangled Banner was bad.

The only "fallacy" I see is you thinking one can watch their kids every second of every day and nothing unexpected will ever happen.

Your ignorance is based on the fact you have absolutely no experience to go on.

You're just making up your fantasy version of how things "should be"

Wrong. I'm observing how things have generally changed over time with respect to the standards of discipline and behavior to which parents hold their children.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Joseywales
Some observations:

1 - a few years ago a child got into an enclosure with a female gorilla. She held the child and eventually walked it over to the paramedics and handed it to them. Clearly a maternal instinct and this here gorilla deserved the benefit of the doubt, at least initially, and he received that. By some reports, he too, was very nurturing to his brothers and sisters, but probably never nurtured one that was as small as this child. He just didn't know what to do. They had to save the child, but the gorilla did nothing wrong. A real shame.

2 - When some combat rifles were designed, they handed them to young teens, without any explanation of how to operate the weapon. "Here, make this fire." They did that to simulate an adult under stress of incoming rounds, etc. If a 14 year old can make the gun fire in XXX seconds, then the adult under stress can do it in XXX seconds. So, when designing these enclosures, does anyone look at it like a 4 year old? I've asked for advice on these forums and I write, "explain it to me like I'm a 4 year old." Slow it down, be specific. Same here. Design the enclosure like a 4 year old is trying to get in. Or out for that matter.

3 - Children - My wife and I took the children camping this weekend in Lancaster. We have good kids, but they argue sometimes, in public. They're old enough to know better, but still run and tease in the store. Youngest is 10. My wife observed how the Amish children don't carry on like that. We see it as kids being kids, but there's no nonsense with the young Amish children. They play, buy they aren't arguing, running around stores, etc. It's just not accepted in that culture.

I will also say this. Kids can get away from parents, but when you are in a zoo, or in a park, near water, highways, anywhere that a child can get into serious trouble quickly, the parent radar should be on high alert. These venues are not meant to be relaxing trips for the parents. We're going to Disney again - a total stress fest. Parents can vacation when the kids go to college. My wife can finally relax at the beach, because our youngest is 10. That's life.

You're aware that male gorillas commonly kill their own young to stimulate the females to breed again right?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Raeford
You just can't[or won't] ever understand. There is nothing wrong with it, you just cannot understand.
I'm not saying that a certain percentage of parents these days do most anything but parenting, but unless you've 'been there done that' you really just won't understand.
I've been there three times, and no, I cannot understand any parent letting their kid fall into a gorilla enclosure unless a terrorist attack, massive earthquake, or meteor strike was in progress. Come to think of it, not then either.

For the most part, people just don't parent anymore. It's a dying art that progresses right along with the dying culture.

The kid didn't fall in. The kid went in with no illusion[in it's mind].
There is a valid reason why we don't hand the car/truck keys over to 'kids'.

FJB & FJT
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Why not just make the third barrier an electric fence with 3 wires? Problem solved.

They had to kill the beast. I have no problem with that.

If the enclosure can keep an adult gorilla in it should be sufficient to keep people out???????

Obviously that's not the case

Actually that's exactly what the zookeeper in the article I linked states. That zoos need to rethink the safety barriers of their looking areas

What keeps the gorillas in is the 15 foot vertical concrete wall.

What keeps (or should keep) people out is a different system altogether. That's the one that needs modification. In this instance it was a 3 foot fence and some bushes

I see what you're saying now. And I agree..that's what I said about having a plexiglass creek 3-4 feet tall instead of an open rail fence

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"Wrong. I'm observing how things have generally changed over time with respect to the standards of discipline and behavior to which parents hold their children."

No argument from here whatsoever. But until you've heard your own kids 'rationalization' multiple times for why he/she did this or that. You just can't understand.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
But I fail to see how parents that let their children run wild are not culpable when they run straight into the arms of trouble. At least partially.

I agree with that. But there are a hundred scenarios where this could have happened without the kid "running wild".

Sometimes crazy stuff happens. Only the very self-righteous, very ignorant or very sheltered deny that. (You're none of those, that's just for the benefit of folks reading this.)

Witnesses stated she just turned her back for a couple of seconds to deal with another child

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
From what I've read, the child asked several times to go swimming with the gorilla. If true, he was clearly attracted to the enclosure and should have been closely watched or removed from the area.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Witnesses stated she just turned her back for a couple of seconds to deal with another child

And that's totally plausible.

I'm continually amazed at how far my 18 month old can travel when I simply turn my back to grab grab a cup of coffee or something simple like taking off my shoes at the swimming pool

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Would it make any difference if the father had a long criminal history including kid-napping and drug trafficking?
Just wondering.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[quote=Joseywales]Some observations:

You're aware that male gorillas commonly kill their own young to stimulate the females to breed again right?

Actually, the silverback male is usually the primary caretaker of the young. The only time they kill is when another male has taken, or mated, with the mother. The father might then kill the child, so that the mother will go into "heat" and he can then mate with her, in order to reclaim her from the 2nd male. I do not recall a second male, or any female, being part of this incident.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
Where were the parents?

donsm70

the one report I read about this it went like this:

- Mom and kid are holding hands
- Mom wants to take a picture, so kid now holds her pocket
- Mom takes picture and then realizes kid is gone
- Takes a few seconds to realize he went under the barrier and is crawling through bushes and goes over into the moat.

Yes, you can punch holes in this, but that, if it's true, is not bad parenting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look! Off in the distance - is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's...

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
Where were the parents?

donsm70

- Takes a few seconds to realize he went under the barrier and is crawling through bushes and goes over into the moat.

I read the child stated multiple times that he wanted to swim with the gorilla. that's a red flag for a parent to stop taking selfies, and watch the child more closely, or remove them from the area.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Where were the parents?

donsm70

I read the child stated multiple times that he wanted to swim with the gorilla. that's a red flag for a parent to stop taking selfies, and watch the child more closely, or remove them from the area.

My 18 month old wants to touch every gun I have in my hands...guess I should just get rid of them all huh?

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

Actually, the silverback male is usually the primary caretaker of the young. The only time they kill is when another male has taken, or mated, with the mother. The father might then kill the child, so that the mother will go into "heat" and he can then mate with her, in order to reclaim her from the 2nd male. I do not recall a second male, or any female, being part of this incident.

Because it wasn't mentioned or seen on video meant one wasn't there?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Where were the parents?

donsm70

My 18 month old wants to touch every gun I have in my hands...guess I should just get rid of them all huh?

No. But do you leave the guns lying on the table and walk away, "just for a few seconds?"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Because it wasn't mentioned or seen on video meant one wasn't there?

You need to get your Google on. He lived with two females.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Calm down, Miss Fossey!

It's just a big fugkin' monkey. They'll make more.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What do I have to understand to be able to observe a higher percentage of undisciplined children?

I don't know if the kid was undisciplined or not.

Kids do stupid schit. They did stupid schit in the 50's, and they do stupid schit today.

I'm just glad the only loss was a big fugkin' monkey.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1lessdog, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,951
Posts18,499,036
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.