-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know at one time the NC Zoo in Asheboro had Model 70 Winchesters in .375 H & H on hand (some scoped, some open sighted) and practiced with them at least semi-regularly.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Whenever I have to "take out" a Gorilla my preferred "rig" is a Western Star logging truck or a Heavy Kenworth oil patch "sow".

....speeds in the range of 60 mph seem to do the trick, all this higher velocity stuff is just hot air.

GTC

Busy here this time of year, and I left this hanging,....maybe giving the impression that the idea is to SQUASH Gorillas, with heavy trucks.
eek eek eek

The way this actually works is that one hangs a nice 30 ton Crosby snatch block of of his headache rack's little jib crane,....and basically does a "Drive by head shot",.....

No muss, fuss, or bother,....paint scratched, blood, guts or brains on your "rig".

As noted,...anywhere's from 55 to 65 MPH will let the block swing out tangentally in an arc, handsomely, and effectively, "Bonking" the offending Simian.

We put over ripe watermelons on posts, by way of practice targets....
Good practice drill, for the REAL thing. whistle

Just be careful that none of these, "10 ton blocks at 80 MPH" types delude you,....slow and heavier WORKS.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/01/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Joseywales
The last I read, they said, "..it was a few seconds, but could have been a minute." The child had been telling her, "I want to swim with the gorillas." She kept telling him no. Can't imagine why she didn't move him along from the area. Or at least watch him more closely, knowing he wanted to touch the hot stove so to speak...

Are you a parent?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Times have changed since the early to mid 60's when I worked at our zoo. I was in highschool and stayed for my first summer after HS.

The Portland Zoo's rifle for putting down creatures in need of such was a .30-40 Krag. A carbine with receiver sights. This may not be fancy enough for today. It leaned in the corner of the foreman's office.

The Zoo's foreman over the animal keepers was a guy named Bill Scott. One of the finest to ever walk the earth.

The two occasions I remember most was a polar bear and a bull elk.

In the case of the polar bear a gardener had slipped and fallen into the cage while maintaining a flower bed. A bear was dragging him around by the head.

As to the elk, it was in rut and tried to spear several people through a chain link fence, myself included.

The Krag put both animals down handily.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Whenever I have to "take out" a Gorilla my preferred "rig" is a Western Star logging truck or a Heavy Kenworth oil patch "sow".

....speeds in the range of 60 mph seem to do the trick, all this higher velocity stuff is just hot air.

GTC

Yeah, a 42 million grain projectile at about 88 fps usually does the trick!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Joseywales
The last I read, they said, "..it was a few seconds, but could have been a minute." The child had been telling her, "I want to swim with the gorillas." She kept telling him no. Can't imagine why she didn't move him along from the area. Or at least watch him more closely, knowing he wanted to touch the hot stove so to speak...

Are you a parent?

Dave

Saw some video of the "barriers" today; they weren't impressive at all. Looked like there was a 3' tube bar/rail that the kid could have just walked right under, then a hedge that was just under 3'. Now I've read there was a 3rd barrier, perhaps another 3' fence past the hedge, but if there was, you couldn't see it over the hedge.

If the kid went under the 3'bar, crawled on top of the hedge, which wouldn't be tough for a 4yo since he's light enough to get up and stay on top of the hedge, and then jump; he would be through the "barriers" in seconds.

The story that the kid was out of sight for a few seconds would appear to hold up after seeing that view of the barriers. What's more, if the kid went under the bar and into the hedge rather than climbed on top of the hedge, he would be lost in the hedge, the only time anyone would have seen him is when he went over the 3rd barrier which (if it really is there at all), is only 3' tall, with lots of things for the kid to climb on to scale...

Given what I saw, I'd say the mom's story is very plausible.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (204guy, 160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 3,160 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,960
Posts18,499,168
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.