Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's a handy tip and looks to have been much easier than me about pulling my left shoulder out of socket trying to run a tweezer to get a tick from my right upper shoulder blade, [wifey was not home].
Noticed I had picked up three Texas ticks a couple weeks ago when I got back home, I got em up while hunting axis with Ingwe, don't know what's in my blood, but these ticks were dead too, just like the one's here around the farm.

Maybe I wont ever catch lyme disease if they don't live long enough.grin

Trump Won!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
That's a handy tip and looks to have been much easier than me about pulling my left shoulder out of socket trying to run a tweezer to get a tick from my right upper shoulder blade, [wifey was not home].
Noticed I had picked up three Texas ticks a couple weeks ago when I got back home, I got em up while hunting axis with Ingwe, don't know what's in my blood, but these ticks were dead too, just like the one's here around the farm.

Maybe I wont ever catch lyme disease if they don't live long enough.grin
haha, same here. I just make sure to keep enough alcohol in my blood at all times that I'm protected. Cant be too safe.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That may be what it is GC, the al-key-hall. laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd have to buy q-tips and tape in bulk after some of my blackberry picking trips.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak
Interesting...the video shows moving the Q-tip counter clockwise and I wonder if you get the same results moving clockwise.
Yes, but you have to use the other end of the Q-tip.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting...the video shows moving the Q-tip counter clockwise and I wonder if you get the same results moving clockwise.

No, remember right tight and left loose. grin

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tracks

You know what? I believe you're correct on this.

Thinking back on it, I rotated the tick counter clockwise.

I spent my whole career wrenching and constructing, the counter clockwise rotation would be my default loosen direction.

Funny.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is a lot of useless crap on the Internet, but every now and then you get a little golden nugget of information. This post is like that. Thanks for sharing. . .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We have been covered up in ticks this year. I have been mowing a piece of property I bought a couple of weeks ago and every time I mow the place I find a couple of tick on me. I was thinking of squinting some of that stuff I give the dogs on the back of my neck!😆 They are from the devil, damn beelzabugs!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got Lyme disease about 35 years ago. I had been groundhog hunting and did a lot of crawling on my knees and elbows and I'm pretty sure that's when I got the tick.

If you ever have the opportunity to get the disease, I suggest you decline. I got a moderate fever but was so weak I had to sit down to rest half way up a flight of stairs. It lasted something over two weeks and was not much fun.

And I was impressed with the posted technique of how to get rid of a tick. Pretty slick!

Steve

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice... thanks.

And YES... save the tick (under a piece of scotch tape with date and location where bit (assuming you get bit by as many ticks as me)).

I had Lyme Disease once... caught it early, not severe, Lyme can be very nasty if not treated.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Buy some Permethrin spray, apply it to your mowing outfit. Let it dry per directions before wearing. Wear them as long as you can between washings to maximize the treatment.

I got this one taking a quick walk around my buddy's new property.

In reply to the save the tick comments.
I was thinking that since it wasn't the deer tick, which is the vector for Lyme I believe in my area that I was safe.
That and it hadn't had more than 1/2 hour to climb up and start digging.
I've had others that were obviously much deeper embedded, this one didn't seem to have been at it for long.

I will save all the rest of the little pricks from now on though, label the scotch tape you wrap it in with date and any other info?

Last edited by m_stevenson; 06/05/16.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For the last ten years we have been using Repel sprayed on our clothes. A treatment lasts for two weeks. Not one single tick in all this time.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by coyote268
For the last ten years we have been using Repel sprayed on our clothes. A treatment lasts for two weeks. Not one single tick in all this time.

Is this it?
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/repel-tick-defense-aerosol/ID=prod6237561-product?CAWELAID=530008260000237554?ext=msnPLA_-_All_Products(BSC)&kpid=sku6204589&sst=b3562c8c-b310-4196-9e3d-2f374c90261d

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks

Kids and some adults grasp this concept better if you explain it this way

"righty tighty lefty loosy" grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, but go on the internet and you can save a lot of money.
drugstore.com

Last edited by coyote268; 06/05/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by coyote268

Is this it?
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/repel-tick-defense-aerosol/ID=prod6237561-product?CAWELAID=530008260000237554?ext=msnPLA_-_All_Products(BSC)&kpid=sku6204589&sst=b3562c8c-b310-4196-9e3d-2f374c90261d

That's it, and it's also sold by other companies under the label names "Permanone" and "Duranon"

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
That's what I thought you were referring to. I normally use the Permanone.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I've read you should keep the Tick just in case you get sick so it can be tested for Lyme disease .
Good info. -thanks !

Don't forget Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever either. I know a guy who got it and was misdiagnosed at first. By the time the docs figured out what he had, he almost died from it. He now lives in a wheelchair minus his lower legs and his mind is not what it used to be.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I couldn't get the vid to play but , there is no way a tick that is really latched on will come out with just a q tip and water.
Alcohol or other solvent , maybe.
I just grab and yank....
I rarely get ticks anymore since I started using Permanone on my boots and pants legs.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,155
Posts18,484,308
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.