Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I've watched this show a few times and now I see a "Lone Star Law" and maybe a few others coming out. Basically they're like the original "Cops", but following game wardens around instead.

I don't know what to think of them. While I respect the job of a game warden, I fear the show might give the average "Joe" the wrong impression about outdoorsmen in general. I'm afraid it just adds to the drumbeat of the anti-hunting crowd. Further showing hunting in a bad light and adding to the mindset of hunting not being a noble pursuit, requiring more legislation to keep the "yahoo's" in check.

You can make the argument that those breaking the law aren't "hunters", but you're pissing up a rope trying to convince the non-hunting crowd that, or those that still haven't formed an opinion one way or the other.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like the show. People will see what they want. I see it as the hunting community won't tolerate poaching, etc. and wardens work hard to that end.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The shows are designed to make heroes of .gov employees and demonize anything smacks of being a "Hunter".

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is a lame show. That warden with the overbite so bad that he could eat peas from a jar, acts like everyone is a criminal and thank goodness he is there to catch the crooks. I have watched a few episodes and their crime fighting is nearly as riveting as watching baby ducks avoid traffic.

Looking for shotgun shells within 15 feet of a road and with the skills if CIS Miami, they crack the case and make the perp admit to the heinous crime of shooting too close to a road. Yes, these guys are watching the DMZ to keep animals safe and hunters in line...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I've watched this show a few times and now I see a "Lone Star Law" and maybe a few others coming out. Basically they're like the original "Cops", but following game wardens around instead.

I don't know what to think of them. While I respect the job of a game warden, I fear the show might give the average "Joe" the wrong impression about outdoorsmen in general. I'm afraid it just adds to the drumbeat of the anti-hunting crowd. Further showing hunting in a bad light and adding to the mindset of hunting not being a noble pursuit, requiring more legislation to keep the "yahoo's" in check.

You can make the argument that those breaking the law aren't "hunters", but you're pissing up a rope trying to convince the non-hunting crowd that, or those that still haven't formed an opinion one way or the other.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

There are a lot of people who buy hunting licenses and choose to break the law. I have constant trouble with trespassers.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The maine show is beyond stupid and arrogant IMHO.

But I suspect like about everything, its scripted....

They sure think you are guilty before proven innocent for damn sure on that show.

GFY would fit most of em.

I sure hope the TX show isn't as bad. But its probably worse...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
To the non-hunting crowd, anybody that kills anything is a criminal.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The worst were the California guys. Good grief, they were like Tackleberry pro tactical ninja dudes. Everybody they came across was an "potential offender." Chit...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
The worst were the California guys. Good grief, they were like Tackleberry pro tactical ninja dudes. Everybody they came across was an "potential offender." Chit...

I liked the show where they came into a hunting camp after dark and there were guns in the trucks. You would have thought they were robbing banks. Of course you are going to have a gun in your truck when you go hunting...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I liked the show where they came into a hunting camp after dark and there were guns in the trucks.

Reminded me of an incident that happened to a friend of mine. He had drawn a muzzle loading deer tag for White River Refuge, but they left home, in North Arkansas early and stopped by Wattensaw Game Management area to squirrel hunt for a few days, then went on down to the refuge. They were in camp, eating supper and the game warden came by. He was invited to supper and while they were eating an shooting the breeze, my friend made mention of all the squirrels that had been killed with the "old 870 hanging in the bus." Game warder perked up and asked if he had a shotgun in the bus/camper. Instant ticket, as you could have nothing but a muzzleloader during the hunt. Nobody in camp knew, but the warden. Others kept their mouth shut and He got the only ticket. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I never talk to the SOB's. With the exception of one in Louisiana many years ago, I haven't met one I trust.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Things I have learned watching these shows:

Outdoorsmen in Maine all drive unlicensed 4-wheelers and grow pot.

All outdoorsmen in California have medical pot prescriptions

Outdoorsmen in Alaska drive home drunk, beat their wives and then hide in the bush

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of the Maine guys were in the State booth at the Harrisburg PA show this year and I chatted with them. They were pretty open about it. Some things they passed.

It takes a long time (1000's of hours of footage to make essentially 30 minutes of content) to make a show with anything interesting because 99% of the people that they stop are law abiding and just folks enjoying Maine outdoors.

They acknowledged that the show can sometimes portray people badly but to their end in the past they had challenges filling warden classes with enough people and now they have thousands of applicants to choose from. They wonder how many will stay as it's not as exciting as TV.

They have seen statistical decreases in certain types of incidents (especially boating and snow mobile safety)since the show has been on a couple years and when they stop people for checks the show almost always comes up.

For me I watch the Maine show and I watched the Wyoming show when it was on (off of DVR because of all the commercials) but I've not watched any of the others.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
The maine show is beyond stupid and arrogant IMHO.

But I suspect like about everything, its scripted....

They sure think you are guilty before proven innocent for damn sure on that show.

GFY would fit most of em.

I sure hope the TX show isn't as bad. But its probably worse...

Don't all LEOs feel that a person who they've stopped is guilty of something? Otherwise, why would they have made the stop in the first place?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There certainly seems to be a difference in the Wardens in the east vs what we have in CO at least.Completely different mentality as portrayed on those TV episodes.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It is a lame show. That warden with the overbite so bad that he could eat peas from a jar, acts like everyone is a criminal and thank goodness he is there to catch the crooks. I have watched a few episodes and their crime fighting is nearly as riveting as watching baby ducks avoid traffic.

I find the ducklings much more compelling.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The show Wardens, on the Outddor Channel, was pretty even keeled. They showed the good with the bad. Wardens even gave out a few warning tickets instead of being total jerks when someone made an honest mistake. It was filmed in Montana. They definitely showed some people making idiots out of themselves. Most fines they showed where under $100, but they nailed a few bad apples.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The show was/is awful and shows the true sentiment of the warden service.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There have been some really great wardens here locally. And a few lemons. One was and still is a head lemon...

But rural TX still shows that most LEO of all flavors are a bit chilled out. Watched a state trooper the ohter day let a guy off with a 2 year old plate on his trailer, it had caught fire and we had to go put it out... don't be dumb enough to have a bbq pit with live coals on a trailer and drive....and expect not to have a fire or start fires along the way... this one blew his ..... gas can... up that was under the pit... LOL dumbasses..

But even in our small town we have the dummy cops.. one wrote one of our fire guys a speeding ticket, with no one on the road, trying to get to a CPR in progress call with helo inbound. He is also a known speeding ticket writer... one of the 1-2 mph over types...

But there also must be something you are taught in LEO ... as some of my good friends are such, and they have always had this weird bit of them even though they have known me forever... just something you can tell... Even one I ordered who knows how many guns for over the years when I had FFL.

But there are always the good ones that just won't mess with you unless you have really screwed up.

I did forget about the Montana one, it did seem much more even keeled.

But as I noted before. Its TV. Drama is the only thing that "sells" due to the stupid audience demands.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlesore
There certainly seems to be a difference in the Wardens in the east vs what we have in CO at least.Completely different mentality as portrayed on those TV episodes.

What is the difference?

I occasionally hunt in Colorado, usually around Wray or Westcliffe, and have never run across a conservation officer when I was afield. I only hunt on private ground, or on public ground that isn't easily accessible except through private ground, so a conservation officer would have to make an extra effort to visit with me.

The only time that I've had a Colorado conservation officer check my license/tags was after we shot some deer along the South Platte by Iliff and were having lunch in Sterling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.