Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
.................be akin to hair lipping the pope if I were to install a sight pin on my longbow?

I got broad shoulders and can take the heat if it's really that outta line, so don't hold anything back.

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude....

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's what I was afraid of.

I haven't a peace pipe or peyote buttons and for the life of me am not able to become the spiritual mystical flight of the fuggin arrow.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500

I haven't a peace pipe or peyote buttons and for the life of me am not able to become the spiritual mystical flight of the fuggin arrow.

Find a coach.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
May have to or just conclude I'm too damn ethical to hunt with my longbow, hubcap sized groups at 15 yards ain't gonna cut it Buddysmile, I may not posses the cultivable talent.

Trump Won!
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't think it's a bad idea if it improves your accuracy and confidence for hunting. Sometimes shooting with a sight for a while can improve your shooting with the sight removed. In addition to a single pin you might consider the SRF sight.

For hunting the fixed crawl can be very helpful too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthFu6fxjeM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM Longhunter_1 and rost495. If those two can't help then you're nigh hopeless.

FWIW, how about details on the bow and set up?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
May have to or just conclude I'm too damn ethical to hunt with my longbow, hubcap sized groups at 15 yards ain't gonna cut it Buddysmile, I may not posses the cultivable talent.
I came to the same conclusion and sold my long bow.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What draw weight is your longbow? I ask because all too often guys get in a little too heavy and make it very hard to learn to shoot well. A 30# bow can teach you more in a couple hours than a 50# bow can in a couple years...

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
What draw weight is your longbow? I ask because all too often guys get in a little too heavy and make it very hard to learn to shoot well. A 30# bow can teach you more in a couple hours than a 50# bow can in a couple years...

This is an excellent point. I know gunner can likely draw an English war bow, but form matters most of all and especially with trad bows.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just a thought. When you practice try 7-10 yards. Pick a target with a very small aiming point. Roving a field with a fluflu and judo point can do wonders. Hope this helps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try this shooting method, with a lighter draw weight bow -

http://www.tradbow.com/public/310520-Shooting-Method.cfm

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When I used to shoot a recurve I shot purely instinctive. I use a single pin sight in a slider on my compounds now and can't even imagine going back. That said though, there used to be quite a few people who shot recurves with pin sights and no one peed on them then for doing it.

First thing I'd ask is how much draw weight and how long have you been pulling it? You might be able to pull a dozer out of a ditch bare handed, but you still don't use the same muscles. So, it might just be a matter of time to get the muscles built enough to allow you to steady up.

Second, a coach or even anyone knowledgeable should look at your form and that can really make it a lot easier. No matter what kind of bow you shoot, it's all about form and consistent form. Quit doing the wrong things and learn to do the right thing each and every time. Just one simple thing like putting a death grip on the bow can scatter arrows all over the place.

In many ways it's like shooting off hand with a rifle accurately. Little things from your feet up to your ears can make huge differences. You need to stack your skeleton solidly and reliably to at least give your brain and muscles a fighting chance to do what you want to do.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've no issue if someone wants a pin on their recurve or long bow.

I don't want that anymore, but I did have a recurve with them once..

And did tape an eraser on a long bow and put a stick pin in for a sight...

The stick bows to me are best done instinctive, but that takes a LOT of practice and short distances...

Personally I won't shoot past 15 anyway so hubcap size groups(6-8 inches or so ) are more than good enough anyway.

The other thought, if you are having trouble, it could be the bow just isn't fit for you... not that its a long bow, just doens't fit...

BIL has an old ben pearson 60 pounder... I can't shoot it for flip...

Go to my brack recurve, I'm fine and at 15 I can usually come close to touching fletches

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lost, many Thanks for the vote of support, don't know if I can get there without a pin, I see many replies down the page, maybe a solution lies there.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
PM Longhunter_1 and rost495. If those two can't help then you're nigh hopeless.

FWIW, how about details on the bow and set up?

Thanks 4, I see at least one of them has replied here.

My bow is a beautiful 66" Dan Toelke Whip Longbow, it's marked 53 lbs at 28's of draw, my draw is near 31" so I'm guessing it to be North of 60 lbs with my corner of the mouth anchor.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dan, I'd really hate to sell this beautiful, never fired anything so quite and smooth, I did kill a doe with at at 9 yards a couple years back, was standing in a huge crevice in a bench, a wonderful ambush point with a steady North wind.

The 145 gr Stos head made a sickening crunch/slice sound when it hit her, not alarmed much, she hooped about 10 yards, stopped, tail starting corkscrewing around and she fell.

BUT, first and foremost, accuracy HAS to be there.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Centershot, guessing this one to be a bit over 60 lbs at 31's, it's very smooth and easy to shoot, I've tried one over and three under to no avail, I use leather finger tabs.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

This is an excellent point. I know gunner can likely draw an English war bow, but form matters most of all and especially with trad bows.

Yes, used to shoot for years an old round wheel Oregon Deschutes bow with a 90 lb draw, it happens to still be the quietest and smoothest compound bow I've ever had/fired.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DCR48
Just a thought. When you practice try 7-10 yards. Pick a target with a very small aiming point. Roving a field with a fluflu and judo point can do wonders. Hope this helps.

I started at 5 yards DCR, but moving back at more realistic hunting yardages caused the bottom to fall out of it.

I may need to invest in some fluflu and judo points.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I'm gonna check this out as soon as I get through typing!

Thanks 4

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Miles, first of all Thanks, I can get stacked pretty solid and still have a good bit of strength reserves, but, they are completely useless without proper form, I appreciate the tips and advice.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rost495

The stick bows to me are best done instinctive, but that takes a LOT of practice and short distances...

Personally I won't shoot past 15 anyway so hubcap size groups(6-8 inches or so ) are more than good enough anyway.

The other thought, if you are having trouble, it could be the bow just isn't fit for you... not that its a long bow, just doens't fit...

Go to my brack recurve, I'm fine and at 15 I can usually come close to touching fletches

10-4 on the above Rost, but the 'fit' part is where I don't understand, this bow feels like a fine instrument, everything I try to do with it including drawing and firing is so damn easy and smooth, I don't know what else I could do or even ask for a better feeling and easier to fire bow, I just gotta learn where to hold the dang thing. blush

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I'm gonna check this out as soon as I get through typing!

Thanks 4

I like it, and I have a byGod lot of shooting to do grin, but, I don't have a lighter bow.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, used to shoot for years an old round wheel Oregon Deschutes bow with a 90 lb draw, it happens to still be the quietest and smoothest compound bow I've ever had/fired.

I may have your old Oregon...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Are the arrows spined for the extra four inches of draw weight?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like to say that it's like learning to shoot with a .22lr or a 30-06. I know which one I'd rather shoot 100 rounds through in an afternoon......

I'm personally a holder and gap aimer with trad and compounds. Holding for any length of time for me with a bow over 45-50# = the shakes after a dozen or so shots. My form breaks down and accuracy suffers. So most of the time I shoot my 30# limbs indoors at leagues etc and switch to the heavier ones when I go outdoors. Whenever I have a hitch in my shooting the light limbs come out and I sort out the issue before switching back. I think the sooner one figures out shooting well with trad gear is more about finesse than brute strength the sooner he will start shooting to his potential.

Last edited by centershot; 06/10/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

10-4 on the above Rost, but the 'fit' part is where I don't understand, this bow feels like a fine instrument, everything I try to do with it including drawing and firing is so damn easy and smooth, I don't know what else I could do or even ask for a better feeling and easier to fire bow, I just gotta learn where to hold the dang thing. blush

Have you tried shooting 'gap' with a high anchor and 3 under?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Your bow, if it helps your shooting, who cares what other's think?

Cloverdale this weekend.

Seen at a shoot long ago, 4 ft gap on a 25 yard shot, trees about a yard out from the stake. Both trees tore to shreds............yeah, some people run that bad a tune.

Bet they don't have a sight and that makes them feel special.

If you hit the target and take your game cleanly, that's good enough.

Screw what others think.

It's YOUR bow.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I love split finger but got hurt.
So went 3 under and higher anchor.
Gap system was stoopid easy.
Ran 2 sight pictures, and 2 anchors.
20 was one slightly low aim with high anchor, 25 was aim a little higher, same high anchor. 30 was same sight picture as 20, but with low anchor.
Deer shows up at 25, popped him right on the money.
Not fluid, not as smooth/fast.........but damn if it don't work.

Not running ILF and don't like long bows, so a fixed crawl proly not something I'll experiment with. My old instinctive way, split, or face walk 3 under. Injuries/time will dictate what method this yr.

Torn finger pulley tendons still funky once in a while (bow hand). Broken finger on draw hand is fine.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My injury bow is 43#.
My 3D/Hunter is 48#
60 was a chore when I got hurt, did it........but think dropping to 55 and having FF string should be same performance and a little easier.
Problem is.........can't find a HS58 like that. Everything is 60" or 60#. Ugh.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
4ager, if you do it bet it's still a dandy. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Don't really know what this means AH64, my longbow arrows are the Carbon Express Heritage 350's with 145 gr field points to match the 145 gr Stos broadhead.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Centershot, don't know how or what gap shooting is either, I try to shoot sighting down the arrow, have also realized too much or not enough "cant" will sling arrows all over the damn place. mad

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Hook, I'm gonna give 4agers cardboard training program a shot to see if I can do it mentally, if that doesn't work I may try a pin and say to hell with what anyone else thinks.

Having so many different methods of fire, I can't master any,

Double rifle
Sharps rifle
Peep sighted Levers
Scoped bolt guns
Iron sighted Muzzleloaders
Pistols
Revolvers
Shotguns at flying clay birds
Compound bow
Longbow

It's a compounded confounded cluster f-ck! grin

Sorry about your injury and hope you heal muy pronto.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I didn't make time to read below this post...

If its not stacking and you think you are fine... 60 would be a lot of weight IMHO, IE my brack is made to my draw length specifically, and only around 52 or so IIRC pounds. Plenty weight with a good arrow and COC head.( are there any other kind? LOL)

Anyway I saw the link, and I didn't read it, above, but i suspect its going to be telling you to start with any new to you bow, and start close. When I've changed bows sometimes I"m Way off... instinctively. Your body and eye and brain have to get used to that. I start up around 5 steps or so, and since you can ruin arrows if you are decent shooting gropus, I usually try a few aiming points and shoot 1 only at each.
Once I get to where im' not 6 inches or whatever off, I move back a bit at a time. I stop at 15 obviously because our deer move way to much at the shot and its not ethical to take longer shots here. I practiced way further out than that for caribou one summer..

But start up close and small... then move out. I'd think that a summer of shooting will make it all good.

And a really weird note.. I will shoot a glove before a tab, but I generally try not to shoot antyhing but bare fingers... its tough to get them toughened up... but I have much better release and anchor feeling.

Finally even at 15, I often make a tiny dot to aim at, and sometimes its something small like the busted nock off an arrow or even a piece of arrow shaft stuck in the block. Aim small miss small I think they say.

I HAVE to concentrate on the smallest hair so to speak, and then life usually worked right.

All that said, my recurve gathers dust due to a fire injury. I see it laying there every night on the cedar chest when I go to bed..... that sucks.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rost, I had a lengthy talk on the phone today with an 'old fart' that's been an instinctive bow shooter for 40 years, hand, eye, brain is where it's at, I gotta shoot a lot to develop proper muscle memory, "hit where you look".

He used to shoot eggs and ping pong balls at 20 yards, if I can even get half way to there I'll be good.

Need to chrono my bow just outta curiosity, wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't near or at 200 fps, it is also extremely quite, have never tried a glove or bare fingers, the soft tabs feel really nice on draw and release though.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While a tab is fine for a compound due to reduced holding weight, I think you'd be better off with a good three fingered leather glove for the longbow.

Make sure your arrows are tuned to your weight/length. You're pissing in the wind right out of the gate if they aren't. A good tune can get you shooting groups with bare shafts at 20 yards.

Start close like in the link, and work your way back. Quit at the first sign of fatigue, focus, etc, and wait several hours or till the next day. A few arrows at a time, several times a day is a better approach. Bend at the knees and back, don't stand straight up like an olympic shooter. Push and pull at the same time.

It'll take till fall to get to where you need to be, where instinct is 2nd nature, and yardage is forgotten.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
gunner,

As others have said, it's your bow, you want a sight pin, you put one on.

I made a pair of moccasins in a class taught by an old Apache lady. Wondered if it would be reasonable to paint some leaves (for camo effect) and such on them. Didn't want to offend or break any traditions. Asked her, she says "They're your "boots", you want leaves on them, go ahead and paint them".

Others have mentioned tuning. Have you played any with brace height? Sometimes little things like changing type of string silencers helps too.

Maybe try a dozen real arrows, of the wooden sort? shocked

Sometimes I think the attraction is all the trial and error, kinda like reloading and finding that "just right" load. (After all , who wants to shoot a rifle that gets 2" groups at deer 50 yards from the stand?)

Good luck,

Geno

PS, I still have the moccasins and still hunt in them.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Olympians run tabs.

Got no prob running a KP300 or BW 3 under tab at 55-62# recurves.

After G Fred came out with his book, it made a ton of trad archers look like they had to poop while shooting an arrow.

Lots of crazy forms out there. Most don't work well for the subscriber either.

Look at the Youtube IBO Trad world vids.......think they are composites of stills, b ut you'll see different gear/form and the effect.

Also look up some Jimmy Blackmon vids.

As long as you are solid and comfy, can repeat it............that's half the battle. The rest is tune and methods to shrink gap so the short distances are learned quickly and ingrained as to be instinctive later.

A too low anchor will make for a huge gap and it's just too tough without a sight.

Like others have said, aim small, miss small.

Ping pong balls at 20 yards......we put a superball from gum type vending machine on a wood screw and strung it up in front of the 20 yard indoor bales and shot it on the swing. You'd be surprised how often it was scared silly, and how many times it got nailed.

Those postage stamp sized florescent stickers for pricing? Yeah, one of those on a sheet of cardboard on your bag target, or on your foam deer.

Hard to see what's going on sometimes. Not everybody has same visual acuity.

Paper tune is your friend.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
This is what I get, various bows, all shot with tab.
Boringly repeatably good.

[Linked Image]

I run Goldtips for their weight tune system.

Note that after about two weight collars on a pin, the 3rd is about useless, as that much "extension" of the insert into the shaft reduced available length to flex.

That's when you ditch the weights and just go with a brass insert.
You can play tip weight too, but I go insert and collars as needed, so all I have to do is screw on 125gr Stingers, Snuffers, Strikers or field tips.

FOC tends to run 15-21%.

55# and I blow through deer with big ol Snuffers.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Think gloves maybe look more "right" with longbows, but my bud won state with a tab wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not saying a glove is the only way to shoot, same as a tab isn't the holy grail either, just an option to consider. I shoot 3 under with a glove.

And I'm not telling Gunner to bend over to mimic a monkey f'ing a football either.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
aalf, I have a Howard Hill glove, I think, it's like leather finger mittens so to speak, it's very stiff and the purchase on the string while using it feels slippery at best.

I've gotta take my bow to a shop and get my draw measured correctly, then have the bow weighed at that draw length to see if I have the correct arrows.

And 10-4 on the sight target, push pull and fire deal.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good shooting Hook, I've read about brace height too, I really need to find a traditional archer shop with someone that knows what I need as far as fitment goes.

I'll try my HH glove, but the tabs have a much better feel to them for me, my main problem I'm learning is I've been aiming down the arrow, I draw thew bow, hold it for a steady aim then release, just like I've done with a compound and pins for over 30 years.

My bow at a guessed 60 lbs firing that 145 gr Stos head flew through that does ribs at 9 yards with ease, because I was shooting uphill and with cracked bones in my left foot, I didn't go in search of the arrow, just grabber her by the leg and pulled her down the mountain a bit where I had a stashed John Deere tractor. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
aalf, Three under in fact to me looks more inline with the true center of the bowstring, if that's the case, would that hold not provide a more equal tensioning of the limbs?

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How I fixed my problem

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gunner, here's a glove similar to what I use. Super soft, double leather, and no plastic between like the HH. I've never used the HH, as my guy sold this style and that's what I went with, no complaints:

Glove

I switched back to traditional in 1986. My last compound was a Hoyt set at 81 lbs, and I shot split fingers with a tab. Never wanted or ever used a release. Made my transition back to a recurve pretty easy.

I shot split for a while, and then experimented with 3 under, and it felt more natural to me, so I stayed with it. Puts the arrow closer to the eye, however, I never aim down the arrow, or gap shoot, etc. Focus on the spot, draw, shoot, done, to me the epitome of instinctive shooting. I can't, for the life of me, hold at full draw like the compound. The minute my finger touches the corner of my mouth, it's gone.

aalf, Three under in fact to me looks more inline with the true center of the bowstring, if that's the case, would that hold not provide a more equal tensioning of the limbs?

Probably/maybe, but probably not a consideration, it all goes back to tuning the arrow.

I've shot cedar in the past, but shoot strictly aluminum. Easy to tune with. Start with a long bare shaft in the ballpark for spine, cut off in increments, while adjusting nock position, brace height, and point weight. The bow maker should have a starting point for you in brace height. Speed is not a consideration.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dan, I know exactly what you mean, at the conclusion of my last longbow practice session I was thinking, "I have went to complete chit on everything archery I have ever learned."

Promptly went and grabbed my compound that I haven't shot in months, strapped on my tru-ball release, moved the target back to 30 yards, by this time the target was but a silhouette in the dusk, but, I could see the center of the block and knew where the heart lung blackened areas were on the target.

Drew and let fly with my fiber optic 30 yard pin, hit 1" to the right of the top of the heart dead in the lungs, PISSED ME OFF EVEN MORE !grin

Washed up, showered and went to bed mad.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks aalf, I'll order on of those gloves tomorrow, and yes, three under just feels better to me, I will admit to dinking around split fingering and rolling the damn arrow off the rest. mad

My first compound was an old Martin Lynx Magnum set at around 80 lbs, circa 1988, it was a hard shooting old bustard, the 2117 Easton Gamegetter II's coupled with the 125 gr Thunderheads never disappointed, I still have one of those, it's bent from my first bow kill, slugged that doe through both shoulders at 12 yards up in Winslow Arkansas. grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My first compound was a Bear Whitetail from the 70's.... sick

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh laugh

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Don't really know what this means AH64, my longbow arrows are the Carbon Express Heritage 350's with 145 gr field points to match the 145 gr Stos broadhead.

I would ask a pro-shop or somebody in archery that you trust what arrow spine you should be shooting for your actual draw length and the actual poundage at your draw length for the bow. I think you are OK with the 350s, but I'm not an expert.

I have changed the spine on arrows, and had 12 inch groups shrink to 4 inches without changing anything else. The arrow I was shooting was too "stiff" for the bow, even though the chart recommended the arrow for the set up. I had similar concerns as you on hunting abilities, as I was not shooting anything close to what I had a few months before.

If you are seeing great variations in your groups at distance, it may be more of the arrow causing the variation, and not the Indian. It sounds like you know how to shoot the bow, I'd make the arrows were not causing you problems that form can't fix.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
gunner: Back to your original question:

.................be akin to hair lipping the pope if I were to install a sight pin on my longbow?

I got broad shoulders and can take the heat if it's really that outta line, so don't hold anything back.

I would tape a matchstick on the bow as a sight pin, start close and give it a try before I changed arrow spine, changed arrow length, changed gloves/tabs, changed form, changed anchor or bailed to a compound (you know that's a fix).

I always look for the simplest method first and if changing your aiming method gives acceptable results then you won. (you might have to tweak your anchor with a sight). Just reading this entire thread would confuse me but I'm betting you don't need to buy something to get acceptable results. I've always heard that Whips are very spine tolerant bows but who knows? this is the internet

good luck

(if you're already killing deer at 9 yards, you've won the biggest challenge, getting close)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
AH64, that's precisely what I'm gonna do, head to a bowshop and get my draw length with this longbow measured, then but the bow on a scale to see what the poundage is at that draw length.

Very interesting to learn an improper spined arrow can have that pronounced of an effect on accuracy, Thanks!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lost, thanks for the additional tips, I'll give it all a try before I give up and sell this bow.

The getting close is much more of a geographical gimme than my hunting prowess, that huge crevice in that rock ledge is right under a well traveled bench, with a good North wind, you could damn near park a pickup in there and shoot deer from behind the wheel, the ledge runs lower about 100 yards down the ridge, you spot movement, turn and look North and wait for them to appear at 10 yards right above you. grin

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dan, I know exactly what you mean, at the conclusion of my last longbow practice session I was thinking, "I have went to complete chit on everything archery I have ever learned."

Promptly went and grabbed my compound that I haven't shot in months, strapped on my tru-ball release, moved the target back to 30 yards, by this time the target was but a silhouette in the dusk, but, I could see the center of the block and knew where the heart lung blackened areas were on the target.

Drew and let fly with my fiber optic 30 yard pin, hit 1" to the right of the top of the heart dead in the lungs, PISSED ME OFF EVEN MORE !grin

Washed up, showered and went to bed mad.

Of course most get into archery for the challenge... there isn't much challenge to a compound. Over 100 compound kills and it got to the point if I was close enough, there was no work and no doubt of a kill if I wanted to.

Recurve made me start all over again and have to practice all the time and become one with the bow....

Then there was the day I was easing along towards my ladder stand and I noticed a doe looking at me. I had to turn around slowly due to angle and ease along stepping backwards while getting an arrow out. All at the same speed I'd been going, nothing changed... The issue was the next thing I saw was an arrow going through her about 17 steps out... I never recall anything like drawing, concentrating etc.... just blap.....

But now that I've read a bit of the replies... lots of good info. But yes arrows have to be a match... first.. and it should be bare shafted tuned, I assumed you had all that done to start with, it goes for any bow IMHO.

beyond that form and function have to fit you and your body etc... I did get G Fred Asbells book. I read it at the time. I don't recall anything in it anymore. But I suggest it as a read or if I can find it and you want to borrow it PM me. There was a lot in there IIRC that helped me create the form that worked for me.

Since we are going backwards.. my first compound was a PSE Pacer, circa 1978. Wish I still had it but sold it to buy a PSE laser mag... last compound was 1991. PSE fire flight... It still works fine. Dont' even have to practice with it either if my shoulder is good enough, shoot 1-2 to verify zero and its good...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hookeye

Ping pong balls at 20 yards......we put a superball from gum type vending machine on a wood screw and strung it up in front of the 20 yard indoor bales and shot it on the swing. You'd be surprised how often it was scared silly, and how many times it got nailed.

Those postage stamp sized florescent stickers for pricing? Yeah, one of those on a sheet of cardboard on your bag target, or on your foam deer.

Good ideas all, for small targets.

Another I like to use........

White wooden golf tees. Hardly bigger around then an arrow shaft. They stick well in straw bales, foam targets, etc. I found a big bag of them at a dollar store or similar. If one gets nailed, I'm not out much.

Thanks for all the hints folks,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

White wooden golf tees. Hardly bigger around then an arrow shaft. They stick well in straw bales, foam targets, etc. I found a big bag of them at a dollar store or similar. If one gets nailed, I'm not out much.

Geno

Yep, and as you get better busted nocks work well, too. wink

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Maxima 350 is .377 spine.

Dunno what a 31" draw and not cut past center 60# bow would need (most longbows have quite the wrap around at the shot).

Last edited by hookeye; 06/12/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

Yep, and as you get better busted nocks work well, too. wink

Well, now that I'm off the boat every so often and have a chance to practice......................

I better get to bustin' nocks! shocked

Geno

In it is contentment

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use a single pin on my Dorado...it helps with accuracy, quite considerably so, so I can't see a problem with it

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rost, I'm gonna hand hard with the program and see if I can mash out enough confidence to hunt with it this year.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Maxima 350 is .377 spine.

Dunno what a 31" draw and not cut past center 60# bow would need (most longbows have quite the wrap around at the shot).

Gotta get it all gathered up and to a bowshop Hook, asap.

Thanks again for the tips and information.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DBT
I use a single pin on my Dorado...it helps with accuracy, quite considerably so, so I can't see a problem with it

I may have to go there DBT, we'll see. wink

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rost, I'm gonna hand hard with the program and see if I can mash out enough confidence to hunt with it this year.
To me, and its jsut me, there is a world of difference in ease of shooting on a stick bow from 60 down to 52-54 pounds.. not sure why.

But in the end, practice every day is the key. Start close, get it going, move out just a bit at a time.

And FWIW stick bows are, to me, built for up close and personal, not 50 yard shots. That helps if you limit your distance.

Best of luck!

Keep us updated would be cool too!

Jeff

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rost, I have a few appointments up in Ft Smith next week, I'll take my longbow and arrows by the shop to see Big Eric and get his take on my setup, I plan to keep all longbow hunting inside of 20 yards.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used to shoot a LOT. 55# seemed to me, to be the weight where I had to work regularly to stay proficient.
15 yrs later I like 50# wink

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I can shoot 60# plus, and well.
But I can get in the groove with less practice, less risk of aggravating injuries......at less #.

Bought a 43# rig recently. Sold it. Too light and too diff in grip from my reg rig.

So I might again have a 60# rig.........dunno.
If it was shorter overall length I'd be all on it.
I like a 58" bow and the one I found is 60".
No longer made.......can't find shorter limbs very easy.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hook, my bow is 66" and wouldn't know how to reduce the draw weight at the same anchor point, I like middle finger in the corner of the mouth, seems the most repeatable consistent for me.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by aalf
Gunner, here's a glove similar to what I use. Super soft, double leather, and no plastic between like the HH. I've never used the HH, as my guy sold this style and that's what I went with, no complaints:

Glove

I switched back to traditional in 1986. My last compound was a Hoyt set at 81 lbs, and I shot split fingers with a tab. Never wanted or ever used a release. Made my transition back to a recurve pretty easy.

I shot split for a while, and then experimented with 3 under, and it felt more natural to me, so I stayed with it. Puts the arrow closer to the eye, however, I never aim down the arrow, or gap shoot, etc. Focus on the spot, draw, shoot, done, to me the epitome of instinctive shooting. I can't, for the life of me, hold at full draw like the compound. The minute my finger touches the corner of my mouth, it's gone.

Probably/maybe, but probably not a consideration, it all goes back to tuning the arrow.

I've shot cedar in the past, but shoot strictly aluminum. Easy to tune with. Start with a long bare shaft in the ballpark for spine, cut off in increments, while adjusting nock position, brace height, and point weight. The bow maker should have a starting point for you in brace height. Speed is not a consideration.

BTW aalf, glove should be here this week, got her ordered, Thanks. smile

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Gunner,

Only way to lessen # is to run ILF or change limbs or have limbs lightened by whoever made the bow.

66" is a longbow, or a long recurve wink

If recurve, that much working limb (length), proly have a longer than 28" draw length.

I draw 28.5" and have skinny fingers, so can shoot a shorter bow easily, even 3 under.

If your gap is still large and you're having problems shooting instinctive, even with middle finger at corner of the mouth.......you can lessen the gap by keeping the same anchor but going 3 under.

It feels weird, and higher arm position makes it feel even weirder. But try it, off and on for a few days and see if that helps.

If your arrows are heavy enough you might find the gap small enough to allow you to aim the arrow as a sight.
That;s what happened with my 60# Blackwidow.

Made shooting stilted, odd feeling (compared to yrs of instinctive) but it was stoopid easy and allowed me to shoot my deer at 25 yards like it was nothing.

Still feels funky, but dang if it doesn't work.

Ya just never know. I did well with different system for decades, but injury forced a change.

If your recurve is 66" and you don't have a long draw, you might be able to do a "fixed crawl" to shorten your gap.

It's in that video I posted called "the push". Might be of help, maybe not. Worth checking out IMHO.

Since I don't run ILF and my bows are 60" or less in length.......I'm not messing with a crawl. I'll shoot unconscius gap/instinctive with my old anchor.....or use arrows as a sight and face walk (different anchors).

Last edited by hookeye; 06/18/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
For stills and maybe vid of fixed or other crawl, different setups and how well the guys/gals shoot.....

check for IBO trad worlds videos on YT.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks again Hook, this bow is too nice for a dumbass like me to fool with, I'll have to learn to shoot it as is, and will know the exact draw weight at my length on Wed, then can proceed from there.

Thanks for the hit on the youtube videos, will have wifey bookmark them for me so I can go back and watch em. smile

Edit to add, should have mentioned, my draw length is 31"s with my compound, Bow mechanic buddy set my compound out as far as he could and got the rest for me using the correct release, it works fine for me now even if my compound bow isn't set for an exact 31 inch draw length.

Last edited by gunner500; 06/18/16.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
31 inch draw. Damn thats cheating, you are 4 inches or so closer to the game when you start than I am.

LOL

Gettting there is the fun part!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
31 inch draw. Damn thats cheating, you are 4 inches or so closer to the game when you start than I am.

LOL

Gettting there is the fun part!

grin, I'll know much more about which direction I need to go with my gear when I leave the bow shop on Wed, can't wait to get in there and get measured and weighed, then have my arrows looked at for proper spine.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Okay, here are the numbers on my set-up.

Bow length: 66"s

Draw: 31"s at the front of the arrow shelf.

Draw weight of bow at a measured 31"s while on scale: 59 lbs

Total arrow weight with 140 gr field tip: 560 grs.

Total arrow weight with 160 gr Stos broad head: 580 grs.

Velocity at 15 feet: 196 fps.

Arrows: Carbon Express Traditional 350's, full length.

So here are the numbers, can the experts tell me if I'm spined correctly?

Buddy at bowshop said those arrows flew straighter than straight, I fired five with him off to both sides, behind and in front, he trusts me. shocked

Many Thanks,
Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
flying straight might be seen, but paper tunes tell the real world about straight or not IMHO.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For a 125 grain head, per Carbon Express, you are in the correct spine.

However, reading on the Easton arrow chart, which covers 145 grain points, it looks like you need to increase the spine a bit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rost and AH64 hit it well. Paper tune, and don't be surprised to have to increase the spine with new arrows or decrease the point weight.

Clay Hayes, the guy in the video, is a friend of mine and knows his stuff. He's also not one of the stereotypical "my way only" shooting "experts".

[video:youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-r1IqWjkKw&list=PLmWUoLyD4VWVPNmoNWP4utTbiPJHGLdkN&index=1[/video]

[video:youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=395C-r0knfQ&index=2&list=PLmWUoLyD4VWVPNmoNWP4utTbiPJHGLdkN[/video]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rost, Thanks, regrettably I didn't have time to paper tune, will have to do that soon, a butcher bud up in Poteau has a paper rack set up in front of a target, haven't ever used it, but have seen it over in the corner of his shop.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

However, reading on the Easton arrow chart, which covers 145 grain points, it looks like you need to increase the spine a bit.

Damn, what are they recommending AH64, 300's?

IIRC CE's numbers are stiffer as they lower.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the e0mail and vids 4ager, damn that dudes good, a lot has to be said for flexibility/limberness when archery shooting I have to believe.

I studied Clay's form while drawing and firing his bows, that guy is as limber as a martial artist.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Damn, what are they recommending AH64, 300's?

IIRC CE's numbers are stiffer as they lower.

Nope - other direction. Your number would be 450s, I have some listed on E-bay that I'd give you, but they are cut to 29 inches, and have vanes on them.

I had an 80 pound Monster 6 when an assignment to Germany was brewing, and expecting to get an Africa trip or two in while stationed in Europe.

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/23/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the offer, I'll look into some 450's, you think I'm getting to much 'arrow whip?' being under spined?

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I sure hope I get time to watch those videos!!! I suspect they are really good.

Jeff

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I watched em and they are good, I'm gonna have to have wifey find me a damn contortion training course to get that low and limber behind my bow, damn that dude is dexterous.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Gunner - found some Easton 300s, sending you a PM.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Got it and Thanks AH64, speaking of setup, I noticed when nocked, my arrows sit a bit tail high, should I lower the knock point so the arrows lay flat?

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I noticed when nocked, my arrows sit a bit tail high, should I lower the knock point so the arrows lay flat?

Usually not.....

Shoot into your target with the arrow relatively level to the target, and see where the nock end of the arrow ends up. Adjust nocking point up or down accordingly.

If you go too far down, the arrow will bounce the tail end off the shelf, and end up nock end high, giving you a false reading.

http://www.bowhunter.com/uncategorized/how-to-tune-a-traditional-bow/

http://www.bowhunter.com/uncategorized/tips-for-tuning-your-traditional-arrow/

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks aalf, I would need to fire from my knee into a round bale or put my block target on a tailgate to get a straight on hit, the arrows fired from standing do look right on "angle of fire" upon retrieval.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I forgot to add, shoot at around six feet from the target for starters.

As long as you follow through leaving your bow and eye in the release position, you can gauge left or right nock position w/o shooting from level. True enough as long as your target isn't shot all to hell skewering arrow travel.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 on the 6 feet, and yes, it's a newer block target that's not yet shot to hell, my old one was riddled to chit by my Mathews Black Max II. smile

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I paper tune, but have no rack.

Last rig I checked I did this:

Cut a cardboard box so I can tape an 8.5 x 11" sheet of paper over the hole (hole just smaller than paper).

Laid a couple of Jeep coil spacers inside the box to anchor it to some antique table the old lady had.

Bag target set behind that.

Table was low, so had to shoot off my knees.

Knew it shot good, from past experience with other bows...but wanted to check.

Perfect, one after another.

Later I went to a range with sand pits and BH flew fine to 40 yards.

Boringly repeatably good.

My Dorado, Tradtech and last two Blackwidows.

Paper tune has NEVER sent me down the wrong path. It is not needed (got great results without it) but it's nice to be doubly sure.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/26/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Have had folks running bad tunes and they make a change and an improvement is seen.

Some think they then have arrived.

Usually just a trend has been observed.
Went round and round with a management guy at work.

Hit a 3D range and at practice bales I watched him shoot.
HORRIBLE flight to me was GOOD to him............since it was even worse before.

I did a quick brace and nock change and he was flabberghasted...........he couldn't see his arrows fly anymore.

smile

Had to learn the new sightpicture a bit, but so touchy and bad before, even with the change he shot his best score to that point, by a substantial amount.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/26/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dusted off my old HF1225 and shot it last week.
Looks like I never picked up a bow before LOL.
Pretty funny.
I'll be dialed back in, in a few weeks. Left shoulder just is sloppy. Got banged up at work and have been babying it, so nothing feels right.

I just start out new each season, by shooting close. That way if I flub it I don't miss the target. So there's no worry. That means no target panic.

So I can shoot more, work on the feel, and get back into form/groove.

Then when that's ingrained it's learn the sight pictures and work at longer D to minimize slop.

You can't creep or pluck at 40 yards LOL. Unless you like holes in your shed smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Appreciate that plethora of info Hook, and laugh on not being able to see his arrows in flight and patching shed holes, I can't ever being able to see 40 yards with a LB, paper tuning will be next after I get the proper spined arrows made up. smile

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you can do 40 barebow. But it will take a LOT of effort.

At least it did for me once upon a time.

At that time I was getting ready for a caribou hunt in AK. I was stump shooting at home every evening out to almost 100 yards as much as time would allow.

The caribou were weird, not around much, migration was there but not exactly where we could get to. I did punch a blunt at a small bull at about 70 yards just to see, and barely went over him.

But 25 or 20 on in isn't that bad. And since my personal limit on our deer here, is 15 steps, learning to be able to touch or almost touch arrows at that distance isnt' that tough.

Then just wait for the shot. Part of the game.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have a better shot of signing up as a traveling gynecologist than I would hitting the side of my pickup at 40 yards now Rost, gonna be lots of shooting, and years of practice before I can even think that far out, sad part is, I can pick up my compound and kill a deer tomorrow at that range! cry

Agreed on the short yardage, I want to be absolutely proficient at 20/22 yards, did the caribou know you were there? grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I adjusted my brace height by twisting the string from 5"s to 7-3/4"s, groups shrank in half, and I haven't even started shooting the proper spined arrows AH64Guy sent me either.

Wonder why brace height never came up? crazy

I called Dan Toelke, he ask the length and poundage of my Montana Whip that he built, he said YES, unhook the string from the bottom limb and twist clockwise, restring and keep measuring and twisting till I got the brace height set at 7.75"s, I don't get the chit slapped outta my wrist anymore as an extra bonus.

I'll kill something with this rig now. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Now have some wooden arrows with properly fletched real feathers on the way for testing from Ron LaClair, this is about to get REAL good!

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Well.......I've seen scopes on old school muzzle loaders and Sharps rifles. You wouldn't be the first but I would try to make it vintage appropriate. Find a sight that isn't stupid modern and simple looking.

I will say this, shooting a traditional bow the traditional way isn't something you just pick up and do like a compound bow with all the bells and whistles. You fatigue a lot faster and get frustrated a lot quicker if you aren't on. There's been many a time I wanted to snap my bows over my knee but sometimes walking away is the best medicine. Shooting at a bullseye style target gets old and for me gets frustrating. Do some fun shooting at things other than traditional targets. Stump shooting, shooting at tennis balls, eggs, whatever with a flu flu can sharpen your eye and improve your shooting skills. Also do some shooting and just concentrate on form. Stack up some hay bails or shoot at a large target and just focus on form and not where your hitting. I've found most people quit because they expect to be Robin Hood the day they pick the bow up. It takes time to get good with a traditional bow and even when you've been shooting on for thirty or so years you have days where you couldn't hit the ground if you tried. Stick with it and it will be rewarding.

Last edited by Stickbow; 05/27/17.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Stickbow, my major malfunction through 11 pages here and countless hours of frustration shooting my long bow was due to having a 5" brace height, akin to having a chit barrel on an otherwise good rifle, with a good shooter and ammo on board, it aint gonna work.

With my now set brace height of 7-3/4"s my groups were cut in half, am experimenting now on differing anchor points to try and shorten my draw length, a 31" draw doesn't send out the best flying arrows I'm finding out.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wonder why brace height never came up? crazy

I think the assumption was that the string length of the bowstring on you bow was correct. The correct length is usually written on the limb with the poundage at draw.

Not sure how twists you added, but it sounds like a doctrinal truck-load to get that much change.

I'm betting your string is 1-3 inches longer that specified for your bow.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yup, but me going into anything I don't know a thing about is madness waiting to happen, bet the original string stretched over time, the guys at Toelke told me when i bought the bow the only reason to ever unstring it was if I was gonna leave it in a hot pickup for several hours.

I sure know now what to watch out for a far as brace height. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Flemish twist strings stretch. A few twists to shorten will fix you right up.

Compounds weren't even a twinkle in the eye of Holless Allen back in the day when I killed my first deer with a Ben Pearson recurve. People shot pins on their traditional bows all the time. Having someone tell you to not use one is horsesh*t. If it makes you more accurate, use one and don't pay any attention to the opinions of others. Archery is a big tent (although I don't think that crossbows are bows, they are guns that shoot arrows but that is another discussion entirely).

Besides, chicks dig guys who shoot traditional bows. They are typically well endowed, witty, intelligent, and humble.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A year later - how's it going?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, yes on the Flemish string stretch, I'll be checking that regularly.

Centershot, I've made more progress in the last week with the brace height adjustment than I have all year fighting a bow wrongly configured, I'll start with the proper spined arrows AH64Guy gave me and go from there, that should further reduce group sizes.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_Havard

Compounds weren't even a twinkle in the eye of Holless Allen back in the day when I killed my first deer with a Ben Pearson recurve. People shot pins on their traditional bows all the time. Having someone tell you to not use one is horsesh*t. If it makes you more accurate, use one and don't pay any attention to the opinions of others. Archery is a big tent (although I don't think that crossbows are bows, they are guns that shoot arrows but that is another discussion entirely).

Besides, chicks dig guys who shoot traditional bows. They are typically well endowed, witty, intelligent, and humble.

Actually, no. The other way round. Long guns took thier shape and handling from crossbows. They have been around since 400BC (look up "belly bow") but it is a bow, held in place by a mechanical release. Early crossbows had shorter range than longbows, but could be taught much faster. The added range meant archers could rain death from outside crossbow range. All real comparison to guns though is only superficial. Mechanisms, forces, projectile, trigger is all very diffrent. Like saying a dagger and a paintbrush are the same thing.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kellory

Actually, no. The other way round. Long guns took thier shape and handling from crossbows. They have been around since 400BC (look up "belly bow") but it is a bow, held in place by a mechanical release. Early crossbows had shorter range than longbows, but could be taught much faster. The added range meant archers could rain death from outside crossbow range. All real comparison to guns though is only superficial. Mechanisms, forces, projectile, trigger is all very diffrent. Like saying a dagger and a paintbrush are the same thing.

LOL, you missed the entire point of his post. John knows his stuff, I'm sure there's no confusion on his part about which came first.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"....I don't think that crossbows are bows, they are guns that shoot arrows....." just which part of that statement did I miss?

http://www.crosman.com/airbow this would be closest to a "gun that shoots arrows" but it uses compressed air.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
kellory, the entire point of my post was to say that using a sight pin on a traditional bow was okay.

The statement I made about archery being a big tent which should include traditional bows with sights but should not include crossbows was peripheral to the point I was trying to make.

But since you want to discuss it: crossbows have a stock, use a mounted telescopic sight, require zero holding force on the part of the user, and release the projectile with a trigger. Sounds like a gun to me. Someone with practically zero skill or practice can pick one up and immediately shoot accurately - just like they were shooting a gun with a telescopic sight. There's a reason that crossbows were once only approved for use by people who were physically unable to draw and hold a bow - it's because they are as easy to use as a gun.

Archery hunting seasons were set up a long time ago to be long because the skill required to get close enough to harvest an animal with a bow made it hard to be successful. Therefore extended seasons were instituted with few if any limits on how many hunters could participate. If "archery" becomes as easy as hunting with a gun then seasons will get shorter and participation will be limited. The introduction of crossbows threatens the original idea behind having an archery hunting season.

I'm involved in the archery industry at a fairly deep level and feel that crossbows should not be in the "big tent" of archery. You're welcome to your opinion just as I am to mine.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Funny, I don't even hunt with a bow that much and I understood exactly what you were saying.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First off, I respect your opinion, and you have a right to your opinion, come what may, but that does not change facts.

If a scope makes it a gun , then all holo sights, reddots, and telescopic sights (all of which CAN be mounted to a bow) would make every such bow illegal to hunt with where as only light emitting lasers are forbidden.
Advancements in all hunting tools make a difference, but do you draw the line at cams? Cable instead of fibers? Spring steel instead of wood limbs? The accessories do not change what it is. (Just improve it).
Since the crossbow has been around since 4ooBC, it hardly fair or accurate to call it a gun, it would be more accurate to call a gun an imitation crossbow.
The "belly Bow" had no trigger, no release, and require both hands to even draw it back, and held by hand, no sights either. (Grin)
It was the first crossbow.
They were used for fixed defenses, (larger size) and even grew into the Ballista (powered by a twisted skein of each limb, and could throw very large arrows or even shot or stones.
It is an ancient weapon that has morfed a bit over time, (grin) but has never made the leap to an explosion driven chunk of metal through a confined space causing acceleration.
All similarities to guns is what guns borrowed from crossbows, so it began a bow, and remains true to itself, regardless of a copycat weapon, driven by a diffent method, and vastly more modern. It does not change state to become the imitation. It is the original.
To deny this, is to deny the history of the weapons themselves.
History itself decrees the crossbow, is a bow, because there was no other title possible.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
........where as only light emitting lasers are forbidden.

Not true.

To deny this, is to deny the history of the weapons themselves.

It's not denying history. It's simply making a value judgment on what kinds of weapons should be allowed during special archery seasons. It's not history, and this is not rocket science.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Light emitting sights are the only sights forbidden to me to use. This is because (according to the ODNR ) this makes it a poachers weapon, and allows for hunting beyond legal light times. You may have some local restriction for your area.
"Longbows and crossbows may be used to take legal game. However, crossbows may not be used to hunt migratory game birds. Longbow hunters may use a hand-held mechanical release or a mechanical device with a working safety. Crossbows may be cocked with a device, but must have a working safety and a stock more than 25 inches long.
Poisoned or explosive arrows are unlawful. While hunting, it is unlawful to have attached to a longbow or crossbow any mechanical, electrical or electronic device capable of projecting a beam of light."
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting...trapping-regulations/general-information
(I visit ODNR legal dept every year, to check new and old rule changes, and to make suggestions.
One of the changes I have been pushing for has now passed.
Ohio now allows ALL straight wall rifle cartridges from .350-.50. (My AR-15 .450bushmaster is now legal for deer.) smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Light emitting sights are the only sights forbidden to me to use. This is because (according to the ODNR ) this makes it a poachers weapon, and allows for hunting beyond legal light times. You may have some local restriction for your area.
"Longbows and crossbows may be used to take legal game. However, crossbows may not be used to hunt migratory game birds. Longbow hunters may use a hand-held mechanical release or a mechanical device with a working safety. Crossbows may be cocked with a device, but must have a working safety and a stock more than 25 inches long.
Poisoned or explosive arrows are unlawful. While hunting, it is unlawful to have attached to a longbow or crossbow any mechanical, electrical or electronic device capable of projecting a beam of light."
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting...trapping-regulations/general-information
(I visit ODNR legal dept every year, to check new and old rule changes, and to make suggestions.
One of the changes I have been pushing for has now passed.
Ohio now allows ALL straight wall rifle cartridges from .350-.50. (My AR-15 .450bushmaster is now legal for deer.) smile

My most sincere apologies. I didn't realize we were talking about Ohio game laws. I thought we were talking about crossbows. My mistake.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have zero problem with a dude running a trad bow with a sight pin.
If it helps him shoot well, so be it.
His freakin' bow.
Seen too many "purists" that shoot like crap.

If your arrow hits what you want, that's good enough! smile

BTW, my personal limit is 30 yards on deer. Sucked when I had a 145" deer at 35. Let him walk away, wide open.
Had him closer but he got nervy and didn't offer a shot until out farther, and then it was over 30 and an edgy deer.............just too risky IMHO.

My first coyote was shot with a 55# Blackwidow at 42 yards, uphill. Smoked him. He spooked a doe that I had crawled into a downfall for, she was feeding on other side of the ridge and would have come right to me............'cept yellowdog spooked her.

I just remember my tab on my face and hearing a yip.

He went maybe 30 yards.

From my sidewalk in old Victorian section of town, back to my bag target in front of the less than pristine shed wink was 40 yards. I did a practice deal every time, starting at 5 yards. If 4 of 5 into circle, stay, 5 of 5, move back 5 steps and try again. 3 of 5? Move 5 steps up (min was 5 yards though). When I got that new Widow I spent at least a week of just shooting 5 and 10 yards. I sucked.

But I shot a lot, and got the muscle memory started, and then would move back now and then.

Another thing I did..............2 brain farts and the practice was done for the DAY. No exceptions.

No bad habits ingrained.

I was shooting at 25 often after a month, and by second month of practice would occasionally work straight back (no screwing up and having to move up) to 40. Usually 30.
Got divorced.............kept my bow. LGS was also archery range. I'd shoot their every freakin night.

I won't say I was good, but dayam was I consistent, enough to look like I knew WTH I was doing. Did OK at 3D, but usually shot from the compound bowhunter and bowhunter release stakes. Yeah those 45 yarders would get missed now and then. Killed quite a few of them (with audience). Folks shooting super fast bows w black nocks........watch me lob one in with recurve, and nail it..........would go freakin' nuts.

Screw the win, THAT kinda stuff was FUN! And got some folks into trad too smile

BTW, haven't shot since last yr. Back is screwed. I actually drew my Blackwidow (48#) today and man my neck lit up immediately). No lasting problem though (everything OK after an hr). My middle back issue didn't happen, so that's kinda neat. So............................I'll strap on the quiver and try a dozen arrows tomorrow, at 5 yards.
See if the old spine stays put.

Bought a new 2017 compound in case it screws up. 58#. Aint even shot it yet.

Buddy ordering new BW at Nationals..............hmmmm, a FF equipped 43# new BW might hit as hard as my old B50 48#............hehehehehe. 1100 bucks. But if my back goes that's an expensive wall hanger.

Back problem has me spooked pretty bad.

IMHO one cannot be thinking about stuff "here" when the focus is out "there". Just hope this crap doesn't add Target Panic.
Hence the 5 yard and only a doz arrow start out.

The biggest problem in archery lies between the ears IMHO.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Hook, I found a new anchor point on my right cheekbone, it shortens my draw length to about 30's, got some new wooden arrows from Longhunter, with a proper spined arrow and the new and correct brace height I just fired a 3 shot 10 yard group with all arrows nearly toughing, blew me away, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. shocked

I'll learn to shoot this longbow without a sight pin, and yes, over time and MUCH practice will have the confidence to use it to kill game, as hard as it shoots, and as far as those 697 grain arrows go into the target bag, I'll have NO penetration issues to deal with.

That 10 yard group blew me away so bad I took a photo and started sending it to friends, very relieving when you get your equipment spec'd out correctly. cool

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
... those 697 grain arrows go into the target bag, I'll have NO penetration issues to deal with. cool

They way over penetrate...just sayin... laugh

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, I need to chrono them to see how fast they run, you can really hear the difference when they punch the target. cool

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I switched to a high anchor and 3 under when I got hurt and couldn't practice much.
With weighted carbons (for proper spine)........it allowed me to use my arrow tip as a sight.
Pretty handy.
Static and not fluid, esp when shot without looking at arrow for 30 yrs............it felt weird. But worked.
Ended up smoking a deer at 25, hit right where I wanted too. Arrow stuck in opp shoulder and must have had some weight on it, as he fell when it thumped him. Never got back up smile Tried a couple times, bleated and that was it.
Of course it was a dink and not a Booner.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
10 yards..............LOL.

Had some archery club event, when celebrating the town's 100yr anniv.
Bunch of kids shooting stuff, so I got stuck shooting 10 yards with them...........running my BW SA2.
I shot all dang night.

Had a 3D shoot next day, was doing OK but completely missed a black bear at 25. Went over (was also in shade).
The guys were hootin' and hollerin'............reaming me a pretty good one for a zero.

I went and got my arrow from behind and they were on the trail, and I saw a chipmunk. They saw it run past the path to the target too.
More ridicule.

If I can't hit a big bear target, how in the heck can I hit a chipmunk? I said "watch this...............heart shot"..............and snuck over to the hill where he went. The boys were really giving me crap then, and I spotted the chip and shot.

More laughter, and then I walked over to my arrow............10 yards away.
Chipmunk on the arrow................I walked back to them and they were all standing there mouths open.

Shot through the heart, as called.

Shot so much the night before, at 10 yards............I proly could have done that one eyes closed (muscle memory so ingrained).
15 yrs later that flub and redemption is still brought up often by the gang. smile

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My concern now is my Bear Kodiak.........setting up for bowfishing.
I run a BW 3 under calfhair tab for hunting, and high anchor last 3 yrs.
But if I shoot carp, might go with a couple KP300 split tabs from old bowfishing days.
Think if I just bowfish a couple times, and then stop, won't mess me up.

The high anchor deal is still not automatic. Used with success, but in context with all the other arrows I've launched...........it's still too "different".

I'd still prefer a KP300, middle finger at corner of mouth. It feels better on my shoulder.High anchor makes draw arm feel funky, always has.
Weird.

Dunno if it's mechanical issue or one of just familiarity.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thanks Hook, I found a new anchor point on my right cheekbone, it shortens my draw length to about 30's, got some new wooden arrows from Longhunter, with a proper spined arrow and the new and correct brace height I just fired a 3 shot 10 yard group with all arrows nearly toughing, blew me away, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. shocked

I'll learn to shoot this longbow without a sight pin, and yes, over time and MUCH practice will have the confidence to use it to kill game, as hard as it shoots, and as far as those 697 grain arrows go into the target bag, I'll have NO penetration issues to deal with.

That 10 yard group blew me away so bad I took a photo and started sending it to friends, very relieving when you get your equipment spec'd out correctly. cool

If that high anchor works for ya, run with it........see how far it takes you. Might be perfect.
I'm still battling the feel of mine.

Good luck! smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
All good info again Hook, I appreciate it greatly, and yes LMAO on the 10 yard deal too, was advised to begin practicing at 5 yards, then had hubcap sized groups at 10 yards, this is why the three nearly touching at 10 yards blew me away so bad, proper configuration is key, especially when I did not know I wasn't in the beginning.

Cheekbone anchor, and three under aiming is the only way it's gonna work for me, I draw, hold, aim the bow and fire, stacking or whatever they call it is a non issue, had to call Toelke to make sure I wouldn't break the bow with a 7-3/4" brace height while drawing near 31"s, he said the bow would easily handle it, and so it will be, will move back to 15 then 20 yards when I have time for more practice, will also chrono a couple of the heavy arrows to check for speed.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
G500, when it clicks you'll be amazed at how all the stress/worry was for seemingly "nothing".
Don't be surprised in short order, that much shooting at 10 yards gets expensive.

15 and 20 will be easier on the wallet.

Might have to go with a single arrow per spot, at 10....if wanting to shoot multiple 10 yarders.

I liked a single spot target, the IFAA Blueface. Just aim at the "X". But older now and I don't see a crisp X anymore, and at 20 it's just a white dot.
Still small enough to give a decent aiming point, but IMHO the loss of visual acuity has for me, also given me lesser mental focus.

Slow bows, you will probably learn a bit.........of how to be off and still get them to go to the bull.
That's a bad habit, to rely on slop.

I did very well with such corruption, and it took a bit of work to get rid of it.

Just saying, bullseyes aint always good.

My bag target's factory spots are all faded. So I just slap a sheet of cardboard over it and Sharpie marker a dot. Or use those pricing stickers.........the small florescent ones.............about the size of a postage stamp. Used them on my 3D deer too.

Now that you have the tune and proper arrows............you'll be working on targets/sticker combos quite a bit smile

Should find a preference rather quickly, cheap and helping you focus.

It's all fun..........figuring out what works, and how to do it on the cheap too LOL

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Chrono....................yeah. I did that to my SA2 running 2216's.
Was like 185 FPS. I was mortified.
$860 for the bow, clean release and well short of 200 FPS.

WTH?????????????

Of course it whistled through my 8 pointer, arrow stuck in the dirt even. Switched to carbons and picked up about 10 FPS.
Shot some tapered carbons a bud had............way light, bow loud and shocky...................215 FPS.

Wasn't gonna wipe out a set of limbs, or deal w the noise/shock...........for a few points more in 3D.

Have had 4 Widows since, plus a couple of others...............none of the chrono'd.
They aint fast. Don't need to know how slow they are.

Bullet holes in paper tune and dead critters are good enough for me.

Just throwing it out there..................that chrono readings might but a bit of a funk on your head.
Kinda did for me LOL.

My rigs aint the fastest but they shoot great and kill stuff clean. Chrono ignorance is bliss wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never used a chrono with a bow, so I have no idea on my arrow speed. I just know they get the job done.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Chronos are best used by bowyers when developing new limb & bow designs. Objectively measuring the performance of a design and then changing ONE thing (and ONLY one thing) and then remeasuring (with precision) can inform the bowyer about the efficacy of his design change. What better performance buys the archer is to be able to shoot the same arrow the same speed with less draw weight.

Here's a little light reading for the nerds out there:

http://dryadbows.com/Defining%20Bow%20Performance%20Dryad.pdf

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yup.

My old BW 1225 is a B50 rig.
Wonder what a new bow would get me w FF.
Maybe drop 5-10% in weight?

I did chrono alum vs carbon, but my 55# SA2 was always FF equipped.
Did not chrono my HS60 and it was B50.

It thumped deer pretty hard at 60#. Loved that bow, just couldn't handle 60# anymore.
Be super cool to get a 50-55# w FF rated limbs.

BW redid forms for more preload, so the old rigs are obsolete.
A greybark PCH maybe next yr.

smile

Last edited by hookeye; 06/10/17.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My goodness men, now I'm really confused, thought arrow weight AND speed were determining factors on the size of game you can hunt and the amount of penetration you were likely to get, having only shot a small doe with my longbow I don't know what it takes for larger tougher game [think hogs].

My 697 grain arrow and field point just went 158 fps, I have no idea how that computes to energy or penetrating ability.

Thanks again for all the comments and experiences, it's all being filed in the memory banks and on paper. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tips play a big role in penetration. Same arrow and bow setup gets less with big heads, and more with smaller heads. Deer in this state require @1&1/2" cutting size, but that would not do any real good against bear, where the need is smaller heads for any chance of hitting vitals. The bear tips I've seen were just larger than the shaft itself, for maximum efficiency.

Edit: this is also the argument I am using with ODNR to overturn the ruling on "no second weapon allowed during deer hunting" rule. Legal requirement deer tips will more likely wound a bear, should a hunter need to shoot a bear. (No clean kill/ much more dangerous)

Last edited by kellory; 06/11/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm shooting the 160 gr STOS broadheads, hope they will do a good job when I send one into a big pig.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Haven't shot a pig (yet).
Buddies have.
Fans of single bevel heads, FF strings (newer bow styles/higher efficiency) and 55# or heavier in recurve.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/11/17.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
More info here than you probably want to dig through, but Dr. Ed Ashby's work is the benchmark for what matters in arrow penetration.

http://tuffhead.com/education/ashby.html

This one chapter begins to explain what factors control penetration:

http://tuffhead.com/ashby_pdfs/ashby%20ours/PDF%20Arrow%20Lethality%204.pdf

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IMHO too many think they have good flight and don't.
Paper tune.

Once you get dialed in, then you are done. Just shoot and learn sight pictures.

Nice to get all that other crap out of the way. Worry free shooting is where it's at smile

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ashby has some good stuff......definitely onto something.
Think the experiments a little lacking though.
Enough to not accept his statements as being ready to chisel into stone.
I haven't read his stuff for the last couple of yrs so dunno what else has been done.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/11/17.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Do like around 20% FOC. Boringly good arrow flight. 2 holes in deer.
Got some old arrows from a heavier bow, got heavyweight tips to try and get them to spine for my lesser # rig.
Might try a comparison (be well past 20%).
If anything the heavies might give a dead on point hold at 20 yds.
I'd like to kill all my deer at 20 or less.

My recurve arrows have been 480-530 grains. Cut on contact heads. Works fine (pass throughs).
Did run 560 grainers one yr (diff bow) and it whopped the deer pretty hard (stuck in opp shoulder).

The heavies if they work out, will be just over 600 gr.
Dunno if there's a threshold or what.

Do things magically get better once arriving or does the improvement just continually increase up to some point?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The last Alaska/Yukon bull I shot was with a 51# @ 30" recurve using a 625 grain arrow with TuffHead broadhead (single bevel 3:1 ratio). The arrow cut entirely through a rib going in, passed through 30" of tissue, cut through a rib on the off side and then stopped when it hit the opposite shoulder knuckle. Generally heavier arrows are better for maximizing penetration but a big A/Y bull has big ribs and is not small. I'm not sure if there is a point where too much weight is counterproductive. After all, atlatl darts weigh thousands of grains and are not traveling fast yet they will pass entirely through big animals. For bull moose a reasonably fast arrow with a good broadhead that weighs around 600 grains will do everything I need.
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I only draw a bit past 28" frown

Lucky you (the longer draw.............and thumping a nice bull! ) smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

[Linked Image]

That's awesome!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you think you need a sight on your bow then you probably do. So put one on and don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks. Go for it. You can always remove it if it's not what you were expecting.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hook, Thanks again, I'll test much more before season opens, bet that STOS in front of that heavy arrow will get it done on a hog.

John Havard, Many thanks for the info, I'll study up on all that when I have more time, fantastic Moose too, congratulations, that had to be a hell of a rush.

RS308MX, I think I'm past the sight stage for the time being, getting my bow properly set up with the correct spined arrows and brace height has worked wonders, refining the new anchor point at the moment, it's all coming together nicely. cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Maybe I should try again.....nah never mind Mathews it is lol

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Maybe I should try again.....nah never mind Mathews it is lol

LOL, I'm already shooting three inches higher than where I'm aiming, I'll hold on bottom brisket hair and am NOT in the business of educating deer or pigs, they start ducking my damn long bow it'll be 335 fps Black MaxII for me also from there on out. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm happily using sights on my recurve, for all that's worth. But small game only so far.

Guy

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Guy, I'll practice more with the three different spined arrows I was sent to pick out the one that flies the best to the target, then go to a Buds and shoot through some butcher paper for a paper tune check, I'll be after deer and pigs as soon as the weather cools.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

TFF! grin

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Too much Scotch/Irish and not enough Osage T, just cant get there Buddysmile, am now using and new anchor point with three under aiming my arrow tips and doing a WHOLE hell of a lot better.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.