Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by comerade
Dry firing does replicate the actual thing really well imo.It costs nothing, has little effect on the rifle and will help any type of shooting.Also..I have never really understood how a longer, more balanced rifle helps much in awkward shooting positions. I do better with a carbine sized rifle everytime, a longer, heavier rifle is harder for me to stabilize and hold for a longer period of time.The effect of gravity is more of an issue as the weight is further from my body...Just me and I suppose shotgunners would say differently.Just putting it out there, folks.

I agree. I've shot a lot of shotgun and still agree with you. I like a rifle to feel well balanced in the hands, not front end heavy. Back in my trap shooting days, I had a terrible habit of dropping the barrel right before I called for the bird when using a heavy barreled trap gun. Thus, the reason I gave them up and went back to my old faithful left hand Remington 870 with a 28" barrel. I think it really depends on a persons shooting style, how much they've actually hunted, what rifles and shotguns they've used in the field and what they have become proficient with. The best "hunting" rifle I had for shooting offhand was a factory sporterized m1917 made by BSA in 1951. It was fairly heavy (9.5 pounds scoped), but balanced right. Best offhand group shot with that one (with the aide of a sling) was 1.057" for 5 shots. When I buy a rifle, that's one of the first things I do, is test it in the offhand position to see how it's going to handle in hunting situations. Here's a target fired with my left hand Remington 760. Not the best, but acceptable for a quick handling deer and elk rifle:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

My best 3 shot group off hand @ just over 100yds, Leupold 2.5x Marlin 1895G. I was aiming at the top point of the steel.

RP Brass
WLR Primers
300gr Laser Cast
25grs IMR-sr4759 - scooped with Lee dipper, did not weigh

[Linked Image]

I had 4 rounds left so I shot them making a 7 shot group. The round low right was round #5.

[Linked Image]

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Heath, that's about the perfect size steel plate to practice offhand shooting at 100 yards. Looks like you are doing just fine..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Best three shot group?

I have seen a guy shoot 20 consecutive shots into a 6" 10 ring at 200 yards. Not me.

The best I ever did involved 16 out of 20 shots into a 12" 5-ring at 200 with an M1 Garand when I was young. That was enough to take 6th Master in the Navy cup at Camp Perry years ago.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Heath, that's about the perfect size steel plate to practice offhand shooting at 100 yards. Looks like you are doing just fine..

Thanks

I was pretty pleased as I've honestly not really done much off hand shooting at 100yds or farther. I need to do more of it.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Pick a spot on the wall, snap the rifle up again and again until the sights are aligned and on the spot when the gun comes up.
Look at the spot, close your eyes, bring the gun up, open your eyes. On target? Do it all enough and just looking at something will seal its fate.

Grab a rifle and dry fire quickly on yard Deer, rabbits, spot on a tree trunk, leaf, center of a car wheel, etc. Come real time you should be fine.

Gangster style. Should we pick out any particular car passing by if we start dry firing on car wheels? I'll bet the mexicano's around here would [bleep] them selves... laugh. I like your idea though..

If you are going to try it, best advice I can give is to stand way back away from the window😀

Last edited by battue; 06/11/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The most fun I can manage with a firearm is wandering about the sand-hills and shooting rabbits from my hind legs with a cannon and open sights...22's don't really do it for me, but 270 and up works just fine on the fun-o-meter.

It just amuses the heck out of me and has the advantage of not having to pick anything up.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"from my hind legs"

LOL! We used to all get a laugh from my dear ol' mom who was pretty much crippled, when she would say "that one hind leg of mine ain't working right today!"

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It helps to have a light trigger when shooting offhand.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here's a decent bull I killed in Colorado in 2004 with a muzzleloader off hand at 96 yards. old bull with lots of mass but short tines!

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=351

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Rabbits are great offhand practise

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Living in the extensive west, I can't remember that last time I took an offhand shot at anything. Sitting, kneeling, standing with a rest, or prone. I near always have a bipod, pack frame, or walking stick that I'll use for support.

1Minute
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Living in the extensive west, I can't remember that last time I took an offhand shot at anything. Sitting, kneeling, standing with a rest, or prone. I near always have a bipod, pack frame, or walking stick that I'll use for support.

I don't really think it matters where you live. However, when I lived due south from you which might also be considered "extensive west" as well, I shot a lot in the offhand position because I didn't like laying down in the sticker bushes and if I did, couldn't see over the sagebrush anyways... wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot lots of Jack rabbits offhand each winter. Has helped on several quick Mule deer off hand shots.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you want to learn how to shoot offhand.....join the NRA and shoot NRA HP!!

Don't shoot the 'rat gun' however! Choose the NRA Match Rifle category!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have a moose hunt here in a month so I have been shooting off hand, and standing, kneeling and sitting with sticks all summer.

I typically shoot at 8" gongs at 100 (for unsuported) and 200 and 300 yds with the sticks.

The sticks make a big difference in what I can hit

I probably should do some more prone too, but I have been working up an F-class rifle so I have had my fill of laying on my belly.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
If you want to learn how to shoot offhand.....join the NRA and shoot NRA HP!!

Don't shoot the 'rat gun' however! Choose the NRA Match Rifle category!!
LOL. Hard to change our opinions as we age. All of us.

Regardless, NRA HP or Silhouette, both make you better shots for sure. Even if you don't have the sweatshirt, shooting coat, shooting glasses etc... out in the field that you do on the range.

Always felt that cross training silhouette did a lto more for my HP offhand than anything so these days if I wanted to play and practice for offhand only I'd shoot silhouette rather than HP.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This may sound odd to some. I did a trigger job and scoped a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun just to practice off-hand shooting and trigger squeeze. I shoot inside my garage at about 25 feet, five shoots every day. I was amazed how bad an off-hand shot I was a couple of years ago when I started. And how much my groups have shrunk now. While hunting in Texas I took a really nice Whitetail buck from the off-hand position. It was a rather quick shot in some thick brush. I'm convinced that had I not had that garage practice I would not have been successful. I had gotten away from shooting off-hand and used everything in the book for a rest. I think this little BB gun practice has really helped.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My offhand practice is squirrel hunting with a 22 and trying to get head shots.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (6MMWASP, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,390
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.