Hop To
Page 53 of 71 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 70 71
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre64win
Thanks for the bump, BSA... ask and you shall receive.

This is the preferred hunter for me

[Linked Image]

Pre-64 action
Lilja 3-groove stainless 11 twist chambered in .30-06
McMillan stock
Leupold VX-3 in Talley mounts
Cerakote flat black finish

It's a 8 lb tack-driver... I can't bring myself to go into the woods with anything else.

Pre64win. This one you haven't seen. It was put together very well and is my main elk hunting rig. It too is "8 pounds" all up. 4 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. Oh the beauty of an H&H action my friend. I know you like customs and putting together a good rifle. This is a good one for its intended purpose.

1954 H&H receiver
338WM Match grade gretan barrel
Brown precision pounder stock (weighs in about 20 oz's with paint and recoil pad)
Midnight blue cerakote

It packed wonderfully last year during elk season. My hunting partner can't believe how light it is for a 338 laugh

[Linked Image]

These are the first 2 groups shot with the rifle. I still haven't even done any load development for this one. These loads were worked up for EricM's 338:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I may work up a good load for this ol girl this fall after elk season and see what she can really do....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I pulled the Swaro off because it tracked for chit and installed a cheap Zeiss. Much prefer a scope that tracks vs. one that doesn't. Regardless of how much it costs!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Pre64win. This one you haven't seen. It was put together very well and is my main elk hunting rig. It too is "8 pounds" all up. 4 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. Oh the beauty of an H&H action my friend. I know you like customs and putting together a good rifle. This is a good one for its intended purpose.

1954 H&H receiver
Brown precision pounder stock (weighs in about 20 oz's with paint and recoil pad)
Midnight blue cerakote

I recently had a rifle come through the shop with an MPI ultralight stock (cabon fiber over rigid foam). It also weighed 20 oz. It was so lightweight I wondered how well it would hold up to recoil and general abuse in the field... and I say this as an engineer who worked extensively on the carbon fiber structure of the Boeing 787! I mean, that stock was so lightweight it almost felt fragile. It also felt a bit imbalanced, with nothing to counter the weight of the barrel. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this regarding the Brown Precision stock.

I pulled the Swaro off because it tracked for chit and installed a cheap Zeiss. Much prefer a scope that tracks vs. one that doesn't. Regardless of how much it costs!!!!!!!!!!

Scopes are hit and miss for me. I've had fantastic $500 scopes and some very poor $2500 scopes. Austria has generally treated me very well. I particularly like the Austrian made Zeiss glass (haven't owned a US made one) and recently had a Kahles come through that I liked a lot. For my shooters, Leupold's have always seemed to perform well for the price, although I have had a few where I could never get the eye relief or parallax adjusted in a way I liked. As for the Swarovski, I haven't owned one. However, if a company is going to charge what they do, it better be amazing.

Last edited by pre64win; 08/30/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Below is my second Brown Pound'R. The first dated back to the mid 1980's and was hunted all over the continent. I finally sold it a couple of years ago,after installation of the third 270 barrel,which was too heavy in contour to suit me. The stock had been repainted 3 times and was a wreck but structurally sound despite all the shooting and hunting.

I replaced it with the rifle below, which is a 270 on a pre 64 M70 action, Krieger barrel, and another Brown PoundR. I have had similar rifles with Brown, McMillan and Banner stocks and none were fragile and all shot well.

I have had rifles like this in everything from 270 up to 375 H&h and mostly all in between. There is nothing fragile about them. Most have been pre 64 M70's with a few Classics and Mausers thrown in for measure.

They will outlast the owners and you will wear out barrels before anything happens to the stock. Not that they cannot break....it happens here and there. But really not much of an issue.

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre64win

1954 H&H receiver
Midnight blue cerakote

I recently had a rifle come through the shop with an MPI ultralight stock (cabon fiber over rigid foam). It also weighed 20 oz. It was so lightweight I wondered how well it would hold up to recoil and general abuse in the field... and I say this as an engineer who worked extensively on the carbon fiber structure of the Boeing 787! I mean, that stock was so lightweight it almost felt fragile. It also felt a bit imbalanced, with nothing to counter the weight of the barrel. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this regarding the Brown Precision stock.

Scopes are hit and miss for me. I've had fantastic $500 scopes and some very poor $2500 scopes. Austria has generally treated me very well. I particularly like the Austrian made Zeiss glass (haven't owned a US made one) and recently had a Kahles come through that I liked a lot. For my shooters, Leupold's have always seemed to perform well for the price, although I have had a few where I could never get the eye relief or parallax adjusted in a way I liked. As for the Swarovski, I haven't owned one. However, if a company is going to charge what they do, it better be amazing.

To be honest, the MPI is a pile of garbage when compared to a stock like the Brown Precision Pounder. The pounder has fulfilled my every need and I have never felt as if it were fragile in any way. This is the only one I've had, but I have to say I really like it. I've had other stocks that have similar ergo's like the Bansner and didn't really care for them. Maybe because the grip is slimmer and longer on the Brown Precision or maybe because the balance just seems to be better. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I do know I have nothing negative to say about the pounder when it's cuppled to a rifle like the one posted above. Now for a featherweight, I prefer the Mcmillan hunters compact. Hold the edge fill too. Don't really like that and prefer the standard fill on the compacts with anything bigger than a 270. My buddy BobinNH posted something on the pounder, but I haven't read it yet. I do believe he runs a pounder on his 270 or 30-06 fwt, but to me the 22" barrel just looks odd on that stock. To each their own though...

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Below is my second Brown Pound'R. The first dated back to the mid 1980's and was hunted all over the continent. I finally sold it a couple of years ago,after installation of the third 270 barrel,which was too heavy in contour to suit me. The stock had been repainted 3 times and was a wreck but structurally sound despite all the shooting and hunting.

I replaced it with the rifle below, which is a 270 on a pre 64 M70 action, Krieger barrel, and another Brown PoundR. I have had similar rifles with Brown, McMillan and Banner stocks and none were fragile and all shot well.

I have had rifles like this in everything from 270 up to 375 H&h and mostly all in between. There is nothing fragile about them. Most have been pre 64 M70's with a few Classics and Mausers thrown in for measure.

They will outlast the owners and you will wear out barrels before anything happens to the stock. Not that they cannot break....it happens here and there. But really not much of an issue.

[Linked Image]

Bob, what is your opinion on MPI stocks??

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: I have only had two MPI's, one on a 30/06 FW and the other on a 300 H&H pre 64. Both rifles shot well.

I have seen the popsicle stick fillers on here..... grin

I know Dakota uses them for their rifles, but I don't like the stock design in that model; grip too open and drop of comb too low for my taste.

I don't have enough experience hunting them to really say much about them. As you know I use McMillan and Brown.

Here is a typical group fired with that 300 H&H in the MPI stock. Note two bulets are Sierra and one Bitterroot. Should not have sold that rifle. smile

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty sweet shooting 300 there Bob. I've gotten rid of a few that I wonder why sometimes too...

BSA MAGA
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Bansner stocked custom Classic 70 at the range today.
First trip out with the Summit and I am impressed. [Linked Image]

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice rifle. I'll bet you like that summit. My buddy bought a PM2 about 2 months ago and that is some fine glass. Too rich for my blood though. Is that barrel an aftermarket barrel?? Looks like a long action. 30-06?

BSA MAGA
IC B3

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks BSA. Yeah, it's an investment, but I've been happier with it than having another rifle or two around.

It's a full mag action (was a 300 Wby) and now a long throated 7mm RM. #2 @ 24". It's about 7.6 lbs as you see it.
Been quite happy with it so far.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks really good. That rifle will do anything in NA. The 7mm rem mag is a damn good choice for a do everything cartridge. And at 7.6 pounds, 24" tube. Looks about perfect to me..

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TDN
A Bansner stocked custom Classic 70 at the range today.
First trip out with the Summit and I am impressed. [Linked Image]

I LIKE that stock!
Bob

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Great looking rig TDN! tell us how the scope compares to others you've had?

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by handwerk
Great looking rig TDN! tell us how the scope compares to others you've had?

Thanks All! A lot of stock and barrel combinations and rights bought, shot, and sold have gone into the planning of this one. It's got PT&G bottom metal that drop a few ounces and I really like the stock - I finished it with a paint I got from "handwerk" (thanks!). I would be just as fine if the stock were a Brown, Legend, or Sako Classic Edge-fill, and this works great.. Talley LW lows work well for the Summit too.

Thus far (one range session and a bunch of shouldering/dry firing in my basement) I really dig the Summit. Tracked perfectly and it is as clear a picture and bright as I have ever seen! Cross hairs are a bit slimmer than say, a Leupy duplex, but with the optic quality, I am not at all worried about losing the hairs due to low light. It is really easy to get behind... Like a 6x36 or 3.5-10x40 Luepolds are and rides like a lighter scope.

Super impressed thus far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All is well, had a little wreck a few weeks ago but just a broken bone in my wrist. That's about healed now, might get to do some shooting pretty soon I hope!

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Heal up quick my friend. Hunting season is just around the corner laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Reconfigured my bear rifle. Its a classic in 375 H&H. I picked up a McM supergrade from rick , removed rear sight and installed a williams peep. I have a lyman which I will have installed this winter but for now the williams is holding up and it works with the factory front sight. I wanted to go iron sights for a zero fail sight system with fast heads up target acquisition. Anyway here it is:
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BCJR
Reconfigured my bear rifle. Its a classic in 375 H&H. I picked up a McM supergrade from rick , removed rear sight and installed a williams peep. I have a lyman which I will have installed this winter but for now the williams is holding up and it works with the factory front sight. I wanted to go iron sights for a zero fail sight system with fast heads up target acquisition. Anyway here it is:
[Linked Image]

That looks great!!

BSA MAGA
Page 53 of 71 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 70 71

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 20 invisible), 1,737 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,051
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.