Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's hard to understand how casually young people of today turn to opiates.

Even back in my rather mis-spent youth, everybody in my then wide circle of friends knew that opiates were a bridge not to cross.

Today, it's everywhere and people seem to have no qualms about playing Russian Roulette with it.

When we were young, opioids (heroin) were synonymous with needles and "dope". For the last 30 years, MD's have prescribed them as "medicine" for everything from a sore throat to a hangnail. Millions of Americans don't even know they're addicts. It's still a choice of course, but somewhere along the way, greed insured that those choices became less obvious.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What gets me with all the knowledge of where a "drug life" will lead , how is anyone stupid enough to get started in the first place ?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Well, with the kids getting pumped full of Ritalin, which is a Schedule II narcotic, opiates are not much of a leap.

Sad state of affairs.

Yes. Some kids are drugged beginning at birth. Most addicts I know have a pretty good reason for using drugs to numb emotional pain in their lives. My heart really goes out for them, and I wouldn't wish an addiction on anybody.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Even back in my rather mis-spent youth, everybody in my then wide circle of friends knew that opiates were a bridge not to cross.

Today, it's everywhere and people seem to have no qualms about playing Russian Roulette with it.

When we were young, opioids (heroin) were synonymous with needles and "dope". For the last 30 years, MD's have prescribed them as "medicine" for everything from a sore throat to a hangnail. Millions of Americans don't even know they're addicts. It's still a choice of course, but somewhere along the way, greed insured that those choices became less obvious.
Years ago a big doper I knew said, "if it's grandpa, it's 'medicine', but if it's some kid, it's dope,". He was right.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ldholton
What gets me with all the knowledge of where a "drug life" will lead , how is anyone stupid enough to get started in the first place ?

Usually is young people who have been the victim of sexual abuse, a dysfunctional home life, abusive parents, etc. People use drugs to change the way they feel.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
i'ts BS to assume that someone taking prescription opioids is an addict, or is abusing the product.

Sam......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've found drug use doesn't usually cause a person to hit rock bottom.

It just gets them there faster.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I agree. The social problems to this massive addiction of opiates is a direct result of the tactics associated with the pharmaceutical industry as a whole. To pad not only their pockets, but the pockets of the lobbyist and law makers that regulate it.

We have revolving door style pain clinics all over just to keep the pills flowing into the population.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

I agree. The social problems to this massive addiction of opiates is a direct result of the tactics associated with the pharmaceutical industry as a whole. To pad not only their pockets, but the pockets of the lobbyist and law makers that regulate it.

We have revolving door style pain clinics all over just to keep the pills flowing into the population.
There are a lot of people in physical pain right now for a variety of reasons. Many of these drugs are keeping people up and going who would have been crippled to the point of uselessness years ago. The population is older now, with more aches and pains. Who knows where use stops and abuse begins?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Calvin

Usually is young people who have been the victim of sexual abuse, a dysfunctional home life, abusive parents, etc. People use drugs to change the way they feel.

I agree, which is why I'm surprised there isn't more empathy on the 'Fire for Syrian refugees and Muslims in general.

It wasn't their fault their country is a shiet hole. We are saving a bunch of them from hitting ROCK BOTTOM.

Is it a Muslim's fault that they were born Muslim, taught to hate infidels? I'm guessing a bunch of suicide bombers had also hit ROCK BOTTOM, just like this girl.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just turned 50 this year, and like most people of that age, life has thrown some sh1t at me in that time. I am not afraid to say some of this was pretty scarring and certainly messed with my head...However, at no point did I ever think the solution was to stick a needle in my arm or start popping pills.

Folks are all different I guess, but I am sure glad I'd have the "self destruct" gene that so many seem to have...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Because of people who expound on this;

Originally Posted by 700LH
Folks drink alcohol and don't become alcoholics, people smoke pot and don't ruin their lives, people can recreate with drugs and not become addicted, millions do and have done just that.

and the fact that we don't tell all of the truth when we are teaching our kids about drugs, namely, that they can make you feel really, really good. So, the lie of omission about the good feeling, makes it easy to think that the "rest of the story" about how bad addiction is, is also a lie. Not my logic, but that of a person emotionally stuck at about 12 years old.

I did not quote 700LH because he is wrong, but that he stated a reality that is used to help justify drug abuse. The other side of that coin is that millions have been, are, and millions more will be, addicted.

Drugs abuse is not a victimless crime, irrespective of the cries of the dopers.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
There are a lot of people in physical pain right now for a variety of reasons. Many of these drugs are keeping people up and going who would have been crippled to the point of uselessness years ago. The population is older now, with more aches and pains. Who knows where use stops and abuse begins?

That's true. But for every person that actually needs and benefits from them I bet there are five that just take them for symptoms that most would consider everyday common aches and pains.

The proliferation of prescribed anti depressants into our society are just as bad or worse.
I am a firm believer in capitalism, but as far as the pharmaceutical industry goes, profits have always trumped any long term side affects to our society as a whole imo.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

That's true. But for every person that actually needs and benefits from them I bet there are five that just take them for symptoms that most would consider everyday common aches and pains.
The proliferation of prescribed anti depressants into our society are just as bad or worse.
I am a firm believer in capitalism, but as far as the pharmaceutical industry goes, profits have always trumped any long term side affects to our society as a whole imo.

And NO one is forcing the pills down their throat.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

And NO one is forcing the pills down their throat.

Who said they were?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

...and the fact that we don't tell all of the truth when we are teaching our kids about drugs, namely, that they can make you feel really, really good. So, the lie of omission about the good feeling, makes it easy to think that the "rest of the story" about how bad addiction is, is also a lie. Not my logic, but that of a person emotionally stuck at about 12 years old.

Good post, Ed.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
"I am a firm believer in capitalism, but as far as pharmaceutical industry goes, profits have always trumped any long term side affects to our society as a whole imo"

Gottcha, the above CLEARLY states it's the individual user.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am sorry that a good man like Scott F was adversely affected by this...but Im pretty much in EdM's camp.
Thats one less junkie on the streets. I don't care what made her that way. I just care that the rest of society has to carry her burden, whether its for rehab attempts, or the crime associated with drug use, or both.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I agree, which is why I'm surprised there isn't more empathy on the 'Fire for Syrian refugees and Muslims in general.

It wasn't their fault their country is a shiet hole. We are saving a bunch of them from hitting ROCK BOTTOM.

Is it a Muslim's fault that they were born Muslim, taught to hate infidels? I'm guessing a bunch of suicide bombers had also hit ROCK BOTTOM, just like this girl.

We'll send a few your way and you can show us how to make them disavow Islam and become assets to our society instead of security threats.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BarryC

We'll send a few your way and you can show us how to make them disavow Islam and become assets to our society instead of security threats.

Are you that obtuse (rhetorical question)

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 204guy, 21 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,206
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.