Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Read the whole story before you run your yap.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
HUNTING -- The Bullwinkle elk killing case has been dropped, but some slime remains on Washington's auction and raffle elk tag programs that are dominated by high rollers.

Trophy hunter Tod Reichert, 77, of Saikum, Washington, no longer is charged with using his special Washington raffle tag for shooting a 6x7 point bull elk in a restricted area and transporting the animal to an area open to taking trophy bull elk before field dressing the animal with a local guide.

The case against Reichert and his guide, David Perkins, was dismissed in Lower Kittitas County District Court on Thursday. Judge James Hurson issued a ruling saying the language in Washington's 2015 Big Game Hunting Seasons & Regulations pamphlet was too vague, even though there are photos illustrating the rule on page 49.

Reichert was charged with second-degree unlawful hunting of big game in a field that was not permitted for hunting branch-antlered bull elk. Perkins was charged with second-degree aiding and abetting unlawful hunting. Charges against both were dismissed.

The incident occurred Dec. 1, 2015, in Game Management Unit 334 near Ellensburg where Bullwinkle, as some locals called him, frequented irrigated fields, rural yards and often posed for photos. Witnesses say the hunter was about 60 feet away from the bull when he shot and killed it.

Judge Hurson said in his ruling there was no specific definition of the phrase “branch antlered bull elk” in the Fish and Wildlife Department’s regulations. Department officials should have made the rules clearer if they did not want hunting of elk in GMU 334, he said.

Here's some of the judge's reasoning from his ruling:

Bullwinkle was shot in an area that allowed hunting of “true spike bull” elk during the hunting season.
“A ‘true spike bull’ is defined as a bull elk that has ‘both antlers with no branching originating more than four inches above where the antlers attach to the skull.’”
“There is no specific definition in the regulations defining the phrase ‘branch antlered bull elk.’”
Thus: “A defendant should not need to guess what a statute or regulation was meant to mean. A statute is unconstitutionally vague if the criminal offense is not defined with sufficient definiteness that ordinary people can understand what conduct is proscribed.”
Reichert hired Spokane attorney Steve Hormel, who fought the case on several grounds and won on the vagueness argument.

“The first part is that the judge found that the hunt was legal,” reports Tony Buhr of the Daily Record. “In other words the regulations actually permitted him to harvest the bull in Ellensburg unit 334.

"The second part is if it’s viewed as a unit that the game department did not have open to branch antler bull elk, then the regulations are vague and you can’t prosecute somebody under a vague statute.”

The Kittitas County Prosecutor’s Office plans to decide in the next month whether to appeal.

Reichert is known in elk hunting and conservation circles for winning special-privilege tags by spending tens of thousands of dollars at auctions in which states raise money for big-game management by offering coveted tags to the highest bidder.

Reichert reportedly bought 313 of the 2,726 raffle tickets going for $6 each for the 2015 Eastern Washington elk permit, which he used to tag Bullwinkle.

Described as “a strong supporter of elk hunting and improving elk habitat,” he has killed several record-book bulls by outbidding other trophy hunters to get coveted tags at auctions facilitated by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.

Among his trophy bids are $40,000 for the 2007-08 New Mexico Governor’s Tag, $19,000 for the 2001 Oregon Governor’s Tag, $16,000 for the 2003 edition, and an unpublished amount for the 1999 California tule bull elk tag.

In 2007, Reichert, who made his fortune by starting a shake mill, bought Washington’s first East Side Governor’s Tag and killed a trophy elk in the Umatilla National Forest. However, he was later indicted for hiring a helicopter service to spot elk for the hunt, which is unlawful in Washington and most other states. He was also charged with lying to wildlife authorities about the guiding services he hired.

Reichert’s sentence included a $5,000 fine and a two-year ban from entering a national forest.

Reichert successfully bid $75,000 to claim the 2016 auction elk tag for Washington.

He also scored the Pennsylvania 2016 elk auction tag for $85,000. He used the tag on a large typical bull he killed in September during the peak of the breeding season, state officials confirmed.

Reichert's attorney in the Bullwinkle case says the Western Washington hunter hopes to get back the antlers that came off the trophy bull as well as the hide, which has been frozen since it was confiscated by state Fish and Wildlife police.

POSTED MARCH 3, 2017, 3:07 P.M.
in: auction tags, bullwinkle, bullwinkle elk, David Perkins, elk hunting, hunting, outdoors, poaching cases, RMEF, Tod Reichert, trophy hunting, washington elk

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well I see the S O B is 77 years old , maybe at least he won't be around much longer to keep beating the law with more money!! P O S

J
JJD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
[quote=Judman]Read the whole story before you run your yap.....

There is the whole story. He killed a branch antler bull in a unit that was designated spikes only. The definition of what was legal game in that unit was in the regulation. It was not legal game so that makes it poaching. All of you people that support this poacher need to think about it. He has a history of violating the law and just paying for it because he can. All this case proves is that you can still buy your way out of trouble in this country. What a ridiculous ruling by that judge since they didn't describe what he couldn't kill he gets off. You people should be ashamed for supporting this behavior no matter how much money he gives.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
So should the game official that gave them an interpretation of the unit that was open be fired as well then. the warden suggested a muzzle loader be used to avoid the modern firearm closers.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by JJD
[quote=Judman]Read the whole story before you run your yap.....

There is the whole story. He killed a branch antler bull in a unit that was designated spikes only. The definition of what was legal game in that unit was in the regulation. It was not legal game so that makes it poaching. All of you people that support this poacher need to think about it. He has a history of violating the law and just paying for it because he can. All this case proves is that you can still buy your way out of trouble in this country. What a ridiculous ruling by that judge since they didn't describe what he couldn't kill he gets off. You people should be ashamed for supporting this behavior no matter how much money he gives.

You must get the whole story from CNN as well. Simple minded azzhole. You really don't know the story.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by mohick
Well I see the S O B is 77 years old , maybe at least he won't be around much longer to keep beating the law with more money!! P O S

You really find an elk worth more than a good man. Hard to believe you have your head on straight.
If you ever get caught speeding I hope the cop drags your dumbazz out of your car and shoots you right in the street. Sounds pretty unreasonable NO.

All charges dropped could also lean to keeping games noses clean on a big Fup on their part.

Last edited by fredIII; 03/05/17.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BigNate
HUNTING -- The Bullwinkle elk killing case has been dropped, but some slime remains on Washington's auction and raffle elk tag programs that are dominated by high rollers.

Trophy hunter Tod Reichert, 77, of Saikum, Washington, no longer is charged with using his special Washington raffle tag for shooting a 6x7 point bull elk in a restricted area and transporting the animal to an area open to taking trophy bull elk before field dressing the animal with a local guide.

The case against Reichert and his guide, David Perkins, was dismissed in Lower Kittitas County District Court on Thursday. Judge James Hurson issued a ruling saying the language in Washington's 2015 Big Game Hunting Seasons & Regulations pamphlet was too vague, even though there are photos illustrating the rule on page 49.

Reichert was charged with second-degree unlawful hunting of big game in a field that was not permitted for hunting branch-antlered bull elk. Perkins was charged with second-degree aiding and abetting unlawful hunting. Charges against both were dismissed.

The incident occurred Dec. 1, 2015, in Game Management Unit 334 near Ellensburg where Bullwinkle, as some locals called him, frequented irrigated fields, rural yards and often posed for photos. Witnesses say the hunter was about 60 feet away from the bull when he shot and killed it.

Judge Hurson said in his ruling there was no specific definition of the phrase “branch antlered bull elk” in the Fish and Wildlife Department’s regulations. Department officials should have made the rules clearer if they did not want hunting of elk in GMU 334, he said.

Here's some of the judge's reasoning from his ruling:

Bullwinkle was shot in an area that allowed hunting of “true spike bull” elk during the hunting season.
“A ‘true spike bull’ is defined as a bull elk that has ‘both antlers with no branching originating more than four inches above where the antlers attach to the skull.’”
“There is no specific definition in the regulations defining the phrase ‘branch antlered bull elk.’”
Thus: “A defendant should not need to guess what a statute or regulation was meant to mean. A statute is unconstitutionally vague if the criminal offense is not defined with sufficient definiteness that ordinary people can understand what conduct is proscribed.”
Reichert hired Spokane attorney Steve Hormel, who fought the case on several grounds and won on the vagueness argument.

“The first part is that the judge found that the hunt was legal,” reports Tony Buhr of the Daily Record. “In other words the regulations actually permitted him to harvest the bull in Ellensburg unit 334.

"The second part is if it’s viewed as a unit that the game department did not have open to branch antler bull elk, then the regulations are vague and you can’t prosecute somebody under a vague statute.”

The Kittitas County Prosecutor’s Office plans to decide in the next month whether to appeal.

Reichert is known in elk hunting and conservation circles for winning special-privilege tags by spending tens of thousands of dollars at auctions in which states raise money for big-game management by offering coveted tags to the highest bidder.

Reichert reportedly bought 313 of the 2,726 raffle tickets going for $6 each for the 2015 Eastern Washington elk permit, which he used to tag Bullwinkle.

Described as “a strong supporter of elk hunting and improving elk habitat,” he has killed several record-book bulls by outbidding other trophy hunters to get coveted tags at auctions facilitated by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.

Among his trophy bids are $40,000 for the 2007-08 New Mexico Governor’s Tag, $19,000 for the 2001 Oregon Governor’s Tag, $16,000 for the 2003 edition, and an unpublished amount for the 1999 California tule bull elk tag.

In 2007, Reichert, who made his fortune by starting a shake mill, bought Washington’s first East Side Governor’s Tag and killed a trophy elk in the Umatilla National Forest. However, he was later indicted for hiring a helicopter service to spot elk for the hunt, which is unlawful in Washington and most other states. He was also charged with lying to wildlife authorities about the guiding services he hired.

Reichert’s sentence included a $5,000 fine and a two-year ban from entering a national forest.

Reichert successfully bid $75,000 to claim the 2016 auction elk tag for Washington.

He also scored the Pennsylvania 2016 elk auction tag for $85,000. He used the tag on a large typical bull he killed in September during the peak of the breeding season, state officials confirmed.

Reichert's attorney in the Bullwinkle case says the Western Washington hunter hopes to get back the antlers that came off the trophy bull as well as the hide, which has been frozen since it was confiscated by state Fish and Wildlife police.

POSTED MARCH 3, 2017, 3:07 P.M.
in: auction tags, bullwinkle, bullwinkle elk, David Perkins, elk hunting, hunting, outdoors, poaching cases, RMEF, Tod Reichert, trophy hunting, washington elk

Nate their is more to it. U have always been a square guy. As well as I. I know Todd and he is a good man. It's not a crime to have money it's not a crime to pay more for a tag than most make in a year. I'm not a poacher nor would I defend one. But this case is not what is in the papers and on the web.
Side note.
Did you ever get those barrel on the 308 for the boys

J
JJD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
[quote=fredIII]So should the game official that gave them an interpretation of the unit that was open be fired as well then. the warden suggested a muzzle loader be used to avoid the modern firearm closers.
You're still supporting the poacher if a cop tells you it's okay to murder someone doesn't make it right he killed the branch antlered bull in a unit that was specifically and legally described what was legal and what he killed was not legal what other laws do you approve of breaking? Quit putting up Straw Men and admit this guy willfully breaks the law and counts on his money and his lawyers to get him off. I suppose some game warden told him to use the helicopter that he was previously convicted of using to hunt illegally.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
How someone decides to conduct him self is his choice not yours.
Jealous no ones included. How this all comes out is up to the law and not you or I.
A man not convicted of a crime is guilty because you say so. LOL.

I have never hunted or worked for Todd but know him from our community he is a good man. I would love to be able to hunt the tags he gets but can't afford it but the last thing I would do is fault him for having the cash to do so.

You hasty little man.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Straw men get promoted in wa fish and game. 😳

J
JJD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
[quote=fredIII]How someone decides to conduct him self is his choice not yours.
Jealous no ones included. How this all comes out is up to the law and not you or I.

I have never hunted or worked for Todd but know him from our community he is a good man. I would love to be able to hunt the tags he gets but can't afford it but the last thing I would do is fault him for having the cash to do so.

You hasty little man.
I noticed you can't seem to answer my simple questions like did he kill a branch antler bull elk in a spikes only area. How do you feel about him using a helicopter to hunt with illegally? convicted of that can't Dodge that one. And now you're calling people names cuz you have no legs to stand on. Your crush on this guy is really showing you must be proud how he's managed to stretch the law and his wallet to shoot all these animals. Notice I said shoot because it's clear he didn't hunt them he bought them. You should use your energy to promote good people not people who use money to skirt the law to feed their ego. P.S is Hillary not guilty because she hasn't been convicted?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know know Todd Reichert. I do recognize that the media is writing the story I read but it's hard for me to get past the multiple accusations he's had over the years. If the regs stated the unit is closed to branch antlered animals, how could he be confused?
Previously he paid for a fly-over to do his scouting.

I guess I'm being judgmental to some extent but from what's been published I don't know that I'd want to share a campfire with him.

His money, purchase of tags, etc. is of little issue to me. If it's within the law, then it will be someone, may as well be a RMEF contributor I suppose.

I'd like to see these type of Gov. Tag auctions be a one time deal though.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by JJD
[quote=fredIII]How someone decides to conduct him self is his choice not yours.

You hasty little man.
I noticed you can't seem to answer my simple questions like did he kill a branch antler bull elk in a spikes only area. How do you feel about him using a helicopter to hunt with illegally? convicted of that can't Dodge that one. And now you're calling people names cuz you have no legs to stand on. Your crush on this guy is really showing you must be proud how he's managed to stretch the law and his wallet to shoot all these animals. Notice I said shoot because it's clear he didn't hunt them he bought them. You should use your energy to promote good people not people who use money to skirt the law to feed their ego. P.S is Hillary not guilty because she hasn't been convicted?

When did he get convicted of hunting with or from a helicopter.
You may want to fact check your BS before you get in over your head.

Last edited by fredIII; 03/05/17.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I will stop here for I know nothing I could say would change your opinion. Just remember what the papers print is to sell papers. Todds story is for him to tell if he wishes.
Happy hunting and GFY. 😉

J
JJD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by fredIII
I will stop here for I know nothing I could say would change your opinion. Just remember what the papers print is to sell papers. Todds story is for him to tell if he wishes.
Happy hunting and GFY. 😉

You're going to stop digging the hole you're putting yourself in. I asked simple questions which you refuse to answer that shows the answer would not support your case. You resorted to calling people names because you couldn't make your case and now you realized that made you look like a liberal LOL and you decided to get out before you dug the hole any deeper. I try to avoid these discussions but when people are blatantly supporting a poacher because he gives hundreds of thousands of dollars to their cause I have to speak up. When I shot a deer with the incorrect antlers I called the game warden and fessed up I didn't drag it to another unit and lawyer up. And I'll leave the gfy for the rest of the group

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It is just more proof that if you money and no concious and you are a worthless poaching old COCK$%^KER you can beat the law!!!! Everyone else be damed!! Hey FREDIII G F Y!!!!!

J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Judges ruling:
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...-984c-5f8a9a68005f/58b8c87f7537f.pdf.pdf
Motion to dismiss:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3480517-Bullwinkle-Vagueness-5.html
Hunter wants Bullwinkle the Elk’s antlers back after judge tosses out case against him
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...after-judge-tosses-out-case-against-him/

Todd has a few fanboys who will defend his actions to the end.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You giving 250$ to youth turkey hunting JD.

J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (01Foreman400, 2alphas2, 2500HD, 160user, 3333vl, 257 mag, 42 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,501
Posts18,472,222
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.