-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,594 of 1,842 1 2 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1841 1842
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheers man, that's why we gravitate to Dave's great thread.

Apart from a great place to BS/chew the fat & see & hear some great stuff, this thread was built from compassion & kindness to our "fellow man", love your brother from another mother & be there for each other when & as needed.

I like it !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Well said T.

Now my sister just emailed me and my niece is getting a CT scan on her head. She has been sick and dizzy for awhile now.

Some campfire prayers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You got those sent your way pronto!

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It does not seem like it was that many years ago Dave. It seems as though it was just yesterday......

I often think about Waylon and always ask myself why. He was an outstanding young man that was full of life with a lovely family. The sky was the limit as far as what he could accomplish in life. He had everything going his way.

Then, nine years ago, came the news.....

Life is not always fair.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear it's a gloomy day around here guys. I don't know anything about this one, but if one of us hurts, we all hurt. My deepest condolences to the Shaws and all others touched by this tragic event. We tend to forget about how others are suffering some times. Our little worlds get so insular, we lose track of what's important, and that's making sure we take care of each other. This is a very special group on this thread, and while many of us will never meet face to face, I think it's safe to say we have a LOT of friends out there who really do care. To my many friends here, I say you are thought of every day. Condolences, prayers, and well wishes gentlemen.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When that sugar pressure gets low you gotta get some sugar!!!

Hi, I'm northerndave's youngest boy.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ice cream will help you Joe!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
been awhile folks. just caught up. I can tell you this:

1. Fishing in Canada is way good.
2. The temp in Austin Texas is not way good.
3. New yellow lab puppies like to chew on things.
4. My boys do not need any additional sugar pressure.

Carry on then.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So who's doing what for the 4th? I've got a date with some crappies and northerns in a couple little nondescript lakes up in the Emily area. Can't wait to get the hell out of Dodge for a few hours.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Heading to the in laws cabin. Then back to my home town on Sunday for my Dad's 81st birthday. Then back to the lake for the fourth.

I'm off all week so there will probably be a lot of yard work type stuff getting done.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I see a few piles of crappies in my future. I have a week off for the first time since deer season and this time the weather is nice! Lol

There's I'll be BBQ's and beer, and bait. I can't wait.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If by chance you find your self up in the Emily area, Tom. Look us up at the Lake Emily Resort. Boat will be in the water and ready to go.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm taking the whole week off work. it will be the longest break from work I will have had in 6 years. it is badly needed and I'm going to fish with my kids and get some things done that I need to do.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have a safe and Happy 4th everyone, will be up at LOW for the weekend then off to Chicago till the 13th for some BasketBall. Nike tournament of Champions. Should be fun. Take care and god bless!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Berettaman
been awhile folks. just caught up. I can tell you this:

1. Fishing in Canada is way good.
2. The temp in Austin Texas is not way good.
3. New yellow lab puppies like to chew on things.
4. My boys do not need any additional sugar pressure.

Carry on then.

Lol....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Chickenbuck_Joe
Originally Posted by tzone
How's the swamp squid situation joe?
population 477

That's quite a bit Joe. How are we going to handle this?

Well it's going to be interesting but chicken bucks are taking care of it

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Trying to

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My wife and mother have volunteered me to cook ribs for the 4th picnic. I am not particularly skilled in this endeavor - just because I usually have to man the grill at such events does not make me an experienced rib man.

I need some help. I know Dave has a method that certainly looks delicious. I can't find it though. Please save this beleaguered grill cook from having to make a last minute Oscar Meyer run.

Other than that, I'll be drinking beer. Happy 4th everyone!

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Happy 4th to everyone. Charlie sorry i am no help to you. Never tried making them.

Hopefully ND will chime in.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It's late, i will touch on what i can say about the rib efforts tomorrow.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Pork ribs. There a few different cuts you can end up with. Baby backs are probably the most presentable if it's a visual thing, because they are the most semetrical with a nice little bone from one end of the rack to the other, no cross grain junk. Spare ribs can be a better value I think. Price per pound is usually better and the racks are bigger. But you have to inspect your "spare" cuts at the store, feel the package, feel for bone etc. Spares can sometimes be rib tips and kind of a belly cut. That's ok if that's what you are looking for, you can cook them the same and they taste good, it's just not as clean and predictable as a higher cut (closer to the spine).St Louis cut is usually a safe bet, it's a cleaned up spare rib rack. They trim the biscuit flap off the bottom of the cut.

Anyways, as far as cooking the ribs goes, you can do a multi step process with wrapping part way through or you can go full out chest thumping man card mode and thumb your nose at the foil.

I like to check the back side of the rack for membrane. If it hasn't been peeled by the meat cutter it will be slick and shiny. You can work a butter knife under it to loosen it, then grab with your fingers and peel it off like a big bumper sticker. I like to dry rub both sides of the rack and i start my cooking with the meat side up. I try for about 220-225 air temp in the cooker, I use charcoal. Some indirect placement or at least a good distance from the coals will help you. (This is just my opinion, I don't care for black, crispy burned food)

I add wood chips to smoke hard right away, I hit it with the smoke as soon as it goes on. My fav is s fruit wood like Apple or cherry, but hickory, alder, mesquite, what ever, it all works.

A popular process for a heavy rack is to cook)smoke at around 225f for 3 hours, then wrap in foil with 6 oz or so of apple cider added in the foil, meat side down, close the foil so you are trapping steam/moisture. 2 hours like that, same cook temp. Then you open the foil, carefully roll the rack back over meat side up and finish without foil. This is where you can brush on a sauce if you like. Cook for up to an hour like this to kind of firm the rack up a bit and caramelize the glaze (sauce) if you like.

Smaller, thinner racks will want reduced times for all of these steps. Thinner baby back racks may call for 2.5, 1 and maybe 1/2 hour.

If you don't want to mess with foil wrapping, you can shoot for 5-6 hours on the heat, bone side down and you can brush or mist with something like an apple cider mixed with vinegar to keep the meat from drying out.

Something clever here.

Page 1,594 of 1,842 1 2 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (1minute, 7mm_Loco, 673, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 22 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,088
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.