Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The second died from an accidental handgun discharge when he was home alone handling a revolver.

Had he been taught about guns and given the opportunity to handle and shoot them he likely wouldn't have been curious enough to handle the gun when unsupervised and would have probably had a better understanding of firearm safety. I don't see how isolating kids from guns would have prevented this.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sister killed him this past Spring..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ah....Thought it looked like the one she got last spring.

25-284 correct?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And a 75XFB..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kinda thought X boolit. I'd hunt moose with that set-up.A good boolit and proper shot placement can do wonders.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've known the k-hornet to be fantastic as well. His first deer will likely to be a doe, which tend to fall easily. I culled enough with this combination to know. Culled my pea pach that is.

Take care though, or you'll end up using yourself more than you think.

When I was 7, my job was to clean everyone else's firearm upon return from the hunt. In Louisiana, that sometimes meant piece by peice in the bathtub, then finishing oil. Actually I had to clean all 6 firearms in the case. After every trip. I did not like it much at the time, but my Dad checked in on me and thundered away about gun safety non stop. It was engrained in my brain, all rules and protocol around ohers. I can still hear his voice.

Dicipline made this possible. And I will continue as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LSU fan: In those two instances neither kid had been isloated from firearms or was on the sneak. They were ranch kids and guns were tucked in corners about the house for their entire lives. The shotgun incident involved hustling across a snow covered slope to chukars pinned by a pointer. Probably a case of youthful enthusiasm and sh_t happens. We have no idea how the handgun accident occurred.

I would actually like to pursue this issue a bit to see what training or supervision is required for youthful hunters across the various states. I can only speak of Oregon, but when I first moved here there were usually 12 to 18 fatal hunting accidents per year in the 70's. Now it's typically 1 or 2 per year. Most of the decrease has been attributed to the required hunter safety courses for those under 18. Orange is still not mandated.

I have to admit I have no issues with well supervised kids and firearms and openly encourage such practices. When folks move into that realm though, I feel a bit more comfortable if they elaborate on the front end what rules and restrictions are in play. A phrase like " I just bought my kid a ?? caliber whiz n bangum" leaves a lot open to interpretation.

As to my own son, I trust him, but given the volume of firearms and ammo in our home, I was not about to trust any of his friends. I purchased a pellet rifle and 22 for him to use with our supervision when he was 9. He is 16 now, and they will be my property and in my control until the law says he is old enough to be responsible for his own destiny (18). Like I said earlier, I was on the loose unsupervised at about that same age, and it was only luck that prevented a serious event. Between myself and 2 of my young peers, we experienced about 7 accidental discharges. With supervision, it likely would have been zero.

Every unit our family hold is in a safe, and my kid still does not have the combination. Mostly because I have no idea what powers of persuasion (sp?) his friends might have. I've seen enough parents that used the phrase "not my child" have to eat their words a short time later when facts or events come out.

I truly treasure my son, and would enter deep depression if we ever lost him. I'd also be quite depressed, if we lost all of our hard earned resources and property to a suit if someone else was injured. I'm too old to go bankrupt and start over again. Take care and good huntin, 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 12/12/06.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
PDS,

This age limitation is for ALL hunting.

Chip

JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an 8 year old grandson who regularly shoots his Chipmonk rifle and shoots it well. When he is old enough we will go after deer. However, the thought of unsupervised children in the woods with highpowered rifles scares the hell out of me. In my state the minimum age to hunt is twelve and that makes me nervous enough.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hunting is quite different depending where you are.

Driving up to a stand, and sitting in it waiting for a deer, then shooting from a supported position, all the while under close adult supervision, is realistic for pretty young kids.

It's hard for me to fathom a 7YO humping very far with his rifle and kit, either alone or trying to keep up with grown adults, in snow or any type of difficult terrain, locating game, making a kill, then dragging an animal to a point where you can recover it by boat/vehicle or whatever.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
well i agree i don't want the woods filled with 7 yr olds on there own in his state of missouri the underage MUST BE WITH ADULT SUPERVISION at all times

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see where folks would be quite concerned if they have/had the impression that a kid is given a loaded rifle and given free-reign to hunt..... unsupervised.

That's not the case.... at least, not in my situation.

My boys hunt out of a stand/blind 60% of the time. Not difficult to supervise and ensure safety, especially since I have control of the rifle.... until it's time.

Same with short stalks, I have control of the rifle.... until it's time.

I have two boys. Only one hunts at any given time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not conjecture - morality and functionability. At my advanced age, and having taught coutnless kids to shoot and hunt, I offer little based upon pure conjecture anymore. Experience would be the applicable word.

I feel I owe you an apology for stating that your opinion was not bassed in experience. It appears that you and I have just had different experiences.

The original question of this thread, I believe, was not "at what age should I start my child hunting" but "what rifle or caliber would be good for my seven year old."

Sorry to stray from the topic......

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

But gee whiz, 7 years old is awfully young to be using a lethal deer rifle in his hands, making the correct "shoot / don't shoot decision" even with an attentive Dad by his side.

One wonders why 18 ear old "adults", don't act like adults? Mabe because they were treated like " awfully young 7year olds" there entire lives.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Folks are quick to side with their gut and their respective environment.

How the hell could a clueless adult,that hasn't seen/done dick,have an inkling as to that which a youngster could do reliably and with a [bleep] eating grin?

All is relative...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VERY GOOD, Stick!
I'm with you.
Virgil B.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I would get him a light rifle in .243 cal. My son started deer hunting with a 600 Mohawk in .243 at 8 yrs old. My only complaint is it's real loud. Maybe a Mtn rifle would be better.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This year I staarted taking my daughter to the range to learn how to shoot properly she is 7, I started her out on a BB gun for the first step just to get her learning the range rules and without endangering herself or anyone else. She has since graduated to a ruger 10/22 and by the end of this coming summer she will be on my .223. If she shows an interest in hunting deer she will go to the .243, right now she is mentally able to make the right decisions reguarding when to shoot and when not to shoot she has as smooth a trigger pull as her mother which puts her in very good company. I see no reason she could not be hunting deer next year unless SHE doesn't want to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Imagine the nightmares my kids are havin'?!!?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They think all them animals were Stunt Critters and really hate to Fish too.

Laffin'...................

they look traumatized.
how do you sleep at night?
funny thing is, there are cities in this country were those pics could get your kids taken away from you.

Half-minute accuracy, while pleasant to observe, is in no way superior to one-minute accuracy in any serious rifle.
Col. (RET.) Jeff Cooper
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
You can do it. Keep everything positive and fun for the kid. You will then have a hunting partner for life. Here's a picture of my son's first deer at 8 yrs.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 14,555 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,177
Posts18,543,142
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.