Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
A local shop has a kimber hunter 308 on the shelf for $719. My initial thoughts are that I'm impressed. For a Tupperware stock it felt good and had a pretty stiff forend. The detachable mag seemed well executed for a detachable. However, it did look like the feed lips were part of the mag and not the rails of the action. I don't know that you could drop a hunter barreled action into a montana stock and have it work due to the feeding off the rails verses mag box but I'm not sure.

I still think the stock on the montana is worth the extra cash but if a guy has to stay in the $700 range I think the hunter may set the bar in that bracket. I was looking for a tikka T3 stainless in 6.5 swede but for the money I think I'd rather have a hunter in 6.5 creedmoor.

Has anyone else handled a hunter? What's your thoughts?

I'm still wishing I would have picked up a few more 2015 montanas when they were clearing out at $999. The montana stock and action are worth the $999 and then you can spend another $500-$600 to have it rebarreled to the cartridge and twist you want. I'm leaning hard towards rebarreling one of my 8400 montanas to 6.5 saum on an 8 twist Rock with a .298" neck .081" freebore reamer. Anyone have suck s reamer they'd rent?

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 05/15/16.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't a fan. I didn't like the trigger guard that's molded into the stock and I thought the plastic detachable magazine was cheap but I didn't study it but a moment or two at the gun counter.

I think the one I looked at was $800 or more so I was comparing it to a $600 Tikka and for the money I'd either spend a little more for the Montana or a little less for the Tikka. Just my .02, different strokes for different folks

I'll take a little more time next time I check it out but at the MSRP of $885 I didn't feel it offered $250 or more in quality over the Tikkas which are tack drivers and I'd rather spend a little more for the Montana

Last edited by huntsonora; 05/15/16.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
To really be something, I think the Hunter is going to have to be down in the $600s range, to compete with a Tikka head-to-head.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
To say the price difference between the 2 rifles is more than $100-125 is not comparing apples to apples. $720 and $620 are the best retail prices I've seen for the Hunter and T3x.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
How are the dimensions of the stock compared to the montana? Is it as slim or chunkier?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by turkish
To say the price difference between the 2 rifles is more than $100-125 is not comparing apples to apples. $720 and $620 are the best retail prices I've seen for the Hunter and T3x.

You can buy Tikka T3's for under $500 at Whittakers right now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a picture of that molded trigger guard on the Kimber hunter.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Not stainless.

Last edited by turkish; 05/16/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by turkish
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Not stainless.

Doesn't matter. You can't just compare the higher end Tikka to the bottom end Kimber. Tikkas at all price points just shoot.

Blued rifles shoot just as well as the stainless rifles. That's my point, at the price point Kimber is trying to tap into I feel there are too many other options that'll shoot just as well or better for significantly less money. The stock on the Kimber Montana makes it worth it to me, the stock on the Hunter was a letdown.

I'm a fan of Kimber rifles and own two Montanas and I was really excited to see the new Hunter model hit the racks. I just wasn't as impressed as I hoped to be.

Time will tell and maybe I'm wrong. There will always be those guys that didn't have the coin for the Montana that'll buy it over a Tikka just to say they have a Kimber

Last edited by huntsonora; 05/16/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't seen a Hunter yet, so I have no opinion either way on comparisons, but a rifle is a package, not just simply how well it shoots at a give price point. Otherwise people would buy nothing but Stevens. Ergos, feed/function, materials, etc all play a part, and if we're comparing rifles and their price points, they should share similar materials and construction. If the hunter is SS, then that adds value, and a Tikka needs to be SS as well to be comparable.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I haven't seen a Hunter yet, so I have no opinion either way on comparisons, but a rifle is a package, not just simply how well it shoots at a give price point. Otherwise people would buy nothing but Stevens. Ergos, feed/function, materials, etc all play a part, and if we're comparing rifles and their price points, they should share similar materials and construction. If the hunter is SS, then that adds value, and a Tikka needs to be SS as well to be comparable.

Well said!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to bring this back to the top....

I should have a Hunter in 6.5 Creed by the end of the week.

I really like the ergonomics of the whole rig - the detachable mag will work well for me and quad/truck usage.

This will be my drag it through the brush and icky weather rifle for deer, antelope and an occasional elk.

It'll wear a Leupold 2.5x8 with M1 ele, for sights.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm betting these will sell used for -$600 in a couple years because Kimber will tweak them next year to clean up the bottom of the mag box to color match and blend with the existing contour. Then they will put in an aluminum trigger guard.

I like the stocks color and the barreled action. Heck, I can even live with the injection molded stock but the magazine needs to look better and a molded in trigger guard for +$700 is wrong

Time will tell

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've been wanting a Kimber in 6.5 or .260 and thought the Hunter was a good bet. Looked one over a couple weeks ago and decided that I preferred the feel (balance, grip size) of my Montana stocks better. So I'll wait on the Kimber in 6.5. But the Hunter wasn't bad. Given a choice between a Hunter at say 6 bills, vs the Montana at twice that much I'd definitely give the Hunter a whirl.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fondled a Creedmoor tonight and think it's fine all around. Although I'd prefer a standard metal setup, can't imagine that trigger guard breaking. The stock is slim and stiff. Would like it more at $650 than the $799 they were asking...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I also recently handled one of the new Kimber Hunters and it was a let-down, a rifle in this price range should never have a molded in trigger guard....it just aint right, it made the overall rifle reek of cheapness, all i could see was that ugly molded in trigger guard, the magazine didnt bother me at all, i actually like it better than any blind magazine rifle....If Kimber builds the Hunter rifle with an aluminum trigger guard I would consider one........Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've handled a 6.5 a few times, 650-700.00 I might be tempted but HATE the molded trigger guard as well.

Think the one I've handled was around 800

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handled a kimber

Here you go

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get the strangest feeling that Fotis doesn't like Kimbers........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by cal74
I've handled a 6.5 a few times, 650-700.00 I might be tempted but HATE the molded trigger guard as well.

Think the one I've handled was around 800

Still like to handle that Avatar!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,416
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.