Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Prayer sent. My dog back in the early 2000s swallowed a hunk of rubber from a chew toy and had the same thing happen. Thousands of dollars in surgery to remove it from his duodenum. He came through fine.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Is this fresh sweet corn cob or dry field corn cob?

It was cooked sweet corn that we had already eaten off of. We gave the chickens the leftover cobs to peck on the remaining kernels.

Vet said corn cobs and socks can do a dog in. My vet buddy warned me to take action at the first sign of the dog being ill. Glad I listened!

Read on the internet where a dog went 4 months after eating cob and all was well until it finally got a blockage. owners went a few days to observe the dog and things went from bad to worse in a hurry.

i am treating cobs like rat poison for now on! eek

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thats good news, glad the pup made it OK. Labs will indeed eat anything but Ive never had a dog that didn't want a buttery corn cob....
Ive had herding breed dogs for the last couple decades and one thing Ive found about them was they seem to have the ability to eat the God-awfullest things, and be able to barf up the undigestable portion.
That said however, the German Shepherds seem to have pretty weird parameters. Throw them in a dumpster and they'll eat their way out without so much as a burp. Feed them the finest filet mignon and they're sick and squirting out both ends for three days...
Glad your lab is on the mend!

I've been putting up the late Winter crop of Meat rabbits. The carcasses bag up and pack WAY smaller with the ribcages,forward spine, and necks omitted, ditto the tails,...and their gazillion small bones. These get parboiled a bit and become dog food,...
The place where I hang and butcher is kept sano and skookum with regular application of clean crushed "bedding sand". Mixed in with my native silty clay, and soaked in fresh rabbit blood, it apparently is perceived as dog ice cream by my Queensland and Aussie Shepherd mutt.

...they drop turds that, once sun baked, look like black concrete or Tufa rock with brilliant bright white flecks throughout. I varnished a couple and laid em' on a friend's swap meet table with alla' the other interesting rocks,...it was fun to have a cold one and watch folks picking em' up and puzzling over em' / earnestly discussing the morphology.

My "Herding Breeds'...they do pretty well rustling and chowing down on the wild rabbits and rats around here,...so their scat can (and does) also look pretty much like wolf or coyote, too.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, glad your pup's on the mend !

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

...they drop turds that, once sun baked, look like black concrete or Tufa rock with brilliant bright white flecks throughout. I varnished a couple and laid em' on a friend's swap meet table with alla' the other interesting rocks,...it was fun to have a cold one and watch folks picking em' up and puzzling over em' / earnestly discussing the morphology.

Well damn , don't leave us hanging. What was the consensus of the rockologists ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One fella asked if they'd been found in an old ruins. Thought they were coproliths.

The varnish was pretty fragile, and once the things crumbled a bit they started to smell like what they actually are. eek grin

I'm inspired to maybe use acra-glas or some other clear resin.

Raining too much to get anything very "sun baked" at this time,...
.7" overnight.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Still hoping we can bring her home tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure glad things went well.

She looks like a real beauty and a fun companion.

Thank you sir for being a great "doggie dad".

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like good news.

Have Dog

Will Travel

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had a beagle that ate a whole porkchop bone once. It made it all the way through him until it got hung up in his ass. He was walking around with the end of the bone sticking out and the T part hung up inside his bunghole. It was pretty funny.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love good news.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have a Boston that sneaked a cob out of the garbage and ate it. He passed his.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Glad it sounds like things are good,
Labs do eat some weird stuff,makes you wonder.
Ours have eaten just about anything you can imagine,
Christmas lights,racoon limbs,socks,my wifes undies,the list goes on.
glad yours is ok,and good to know about corn cobs

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Buds old pointer started to act down. Then he started to ger distended. Brian self diagnosed it as stomach cancer and said he would take him out back and put him down when he came home from work. His Daughter took the Dog to the vet in the afternoon. Corn cobs it was and the vet got them out without surgery. His Daughter said if you get bad sick around here drive yourself to the hospital before Dad finds out. smile

Dog had a few more years to go.

Last edited by battue; 07/25/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We all laughed when we threw some corn cobs to my Drahthaar pup a few years ago. Chomp Chomp swallow and repeat.

No one was laughing the next morning at the vet clinic as he was telling us about the operation he was going to perform RIGHT NOW,

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's a physiological impossibility for a dog to "digest" a corn cob, wrong chemistry.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Daughter and son in law were taking a deposit to the bank from his business with her Lab in the back seat with the money in an envelope. When they got to the bank the money and the envelope were both gone. She used a big syringe to pump hydrogen peroxide down the dogs throat and she coughed up 700 dollars and the envelope. They were able to piece it back together and didn't lose any.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm glad things worked out for you and the dog! A guy in our gun club lost a Brittany to a corn cob and my neighbor lost a basset hound to a peach pit that he raided from the garbage.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We used to grow sweet corn and when we went out to pick it, we would give the lab a runt ear for herself. Uncooked and un buttered. Just off the stalk. She only ate the kernels and never the cob. She was a great dog.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for posting this. Our old female lab likes the occasional cob we toss her. The lab/setter mix won't touch them.

I will no longer be feeding corn cobs that is for sure. Thanks again!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,200
Posts18,485,185
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.