-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We got Mauser (pictured above) from a breeder 50 or so miles south of Dallas. At his farm he had the mother, stud, and a brother from a previous litter, named Kodiak. I noticed a couple of coyote hides on the barn and asked what he shot them with. He replied, "not me, Kodiak got them"

A little while later we were outside with all the pups running around, and Kodiak walks up looking to be petted. The litter of 4-5 week old pups starts swarming around him. He looks around nervously, and then steps with exaggerated care, carefully placing every foot, to move away without stepping on a pup. So he could catch & kill yotes, but was careful around young pups. Very well balanced personality.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 14 week old Rottie and she is 35 pounds of joy. She can be be a little stubborn but she sure is smart. I am a very happy camper, so far. The neighborhood kids come down and play with her. I introduced the dog to the parents and explained the need to socialize while it is a pup. I am retired and have plenty of time to spend with her.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had not owned this breed I would be very cautious around them like any other guard dog breed and understand there are those that hate Rottweilers as much as Pit's.

I am less concerned with Dobermans, and even less so with German Shepherds but I had two GS's growing up.

My homeowners insurance would not insure me with a Rottweiler as well as a list of other breeds, I will address that when the time comes.

Originally Posted by Clint
I have a 14 week old Rottie and she is 35 pounds of joy. She can be be a little stubborn but she sure is smart. I am a very happy camper, so far. The neighborhood kids come down and play with her. I introduced the dog to the parents and explained the need to socialize while it is a pup. I am retired and have plenty of time to spend with her.

Clint, is this your first?

I can't say if socializing or being Alpha is more important but I believe you can't go wrong socializing the puppy with a lot of different people (strangers), the breeds instinct to protect their "space" should take care of those who are up to no good.

Last edited by RDW; 07/24/16.

Dave

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

My wife really likes this breed and wants to get one someday. Does anyone here have one, or had one in the past? If so, what was your experience with this critter?

Never had one, but their body types really run the gamut. You find slender, not particularly muscled, Rotts and you find some that look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime. And it's not a matter of them working out. It's just genetics. Definitely insist on seeing both parents before buying a puppy if you want to have a clue as to which type you're getting, if that matters to you.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Just a quick note about the rottie.

They are often compared to the sharpei, and pit bull, and recognized as a ferocious fighting dog.

It takes very little research to determine the differing origins of the breeds. Rotties were bred from cattle herding dogs. They are shepards at heart.

The genetic tendencies are much different than those of a breed whose ancestors were selected for blood sports for centuries.
Actually, they were, due to their size, employed by the Germanics as cattle guardians and draft dogs, but they were originally imported into Germania by the Roman military, i.e., they were dogs of war, bred for menacing and attacking anyone not wearing the uniforms of their handlers.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

Also investigate your home owners insurance, there's a lot of companies that will not insure you if you have a Rot or will raise your rates.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Pit bulls are a no-no and many companies wont insure you if you have a German Shepherd. I learned that quickly and last time I was shopping for home owners insurance and questioned about what kind of dog I had..it was an Alsatian.Ignorance springs eternal, so that worked.

Don't know if there is a pseudonym for Rottweiler though.......

Bavarian Draft Dog. grin

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Just a quick note about the rottie.

They are often compared to the sharpei, and pit bull, and recognized as a ferocious fighting dog.

It takes very little research to determine the differing origins of the breeds. Rotties were bred from cattle herding dogs. They are shepards at heart.

The genetic tendencies are much different than those of a breed whose ancestors were selected for blood sports for centuries.
Actually, they were, due to their size, employed by the Germanics as cattle guardians and draft dogs, but they were originally imported into Germania by the Roman military, i.e., they were dogs of war, bred for menacing and attacking anyone not wearing the uniforms of their handlers.
My research indicates the ancestors to the German Rottie were Roman cattle dogs.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned two and to clarify, I owned their arse.

A few years back I was doing chores around the buildings and noticed some cattle milling around in the barnyard. When I investigated they were breathing hard and wide eyed. I climbed up on the corral loading chute to have a look around and spotted a yearling beef down on its forelegs about 300 yards out in the pasture and what appeared to be a canine harassing it

Got the Savage 99 250-3000 out of the truck and jumped on the ATV. When I got to within 50 yards a Rot quit chewing on the beef's back leg and stared at me. A Sierra 90 grain HPBT put him down.

The beef's ears and tail were bit off and a lot of blood was foaming out of its mouth. A bullet put it out of its misery.

In another incident, I was on a fence division Township committee to settle a dispute. While surveying one of the landowners showed up with a Rot. The Rot jerked the leash out of his hand and within seconds had one of the committee members by the leg. One guy prodded the dog with a prism pole and it let loose of the guy and bit on the pole. When the guy was clear I put three 9mm rounds from my Kahr CW9 into it.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, this is my first Rottie. I have had Great Danes, shepherds and other mixed breeds. I have a GSD mix that goes about 75 lbs and the Rottie's head is a perfect fit for the shepherds mouth.The shepherd shows great restraint when playing with the Rottie.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We had a rotty/lab mix, a rescue dog.

Jack was a lot of fun most times, but he definitely had a protective/aggressive nature.

We had a neighbor caring for two mentally and phisically handicapped adults. Jack sensed their weakness and it brought out his killer mode. I had to be VERY careful with him.

Eventually he started killing deer in the yard at the cyclic rate. He became too much of a liability to keep.....

Since then, we look for a certain profile in a rescue dog. Smaller herding breed blood (heeler, border collie, cattle dog, mix etc) and female.

Here's a few pics of ol' Jack Boy,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of the biggest mistakes people make with the "Guard Dog" breeds is to let them roam free. They should be securely fenced and/or leased at all times.

This includes German Shepard's, Dobermans, Boxers and all the Molosser breeds.

You want a med to large dog that can roam free get a lab.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak

You did right. It's to bad people choose to neglect their dogs.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My buddy's rottie was a slobber machine. Got rain-gear?

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by roundoak

You did right. It's to bad people choose to neglect their dogs.

Absolutely!

Would not have mattered had they been poodles or yorkies, they needed killing.

A neighbor 3/4 mile away used to raise dachshunds. Sometimes he let his male Australian Shepard breed the momma weinie dog.

The brown or blue pups would range for miles in every direction and pester stock. Some of the local ranchers used to hunt them like coyotes, and the little bastards were damned near as sneaky.

I had to kill a few brown ones when I found them killing our Thanksgiving turkeys. Then the Ausie male made the mistake of coming onto our porch and growling at my wife when she opened the door. It took me a week or so, but I got him too.

Yorkies? Yes, one of those little schits got into the sheep pen and tugged on the wool on a ewe's back quarters. The dog never brought blood, but separated the skin from the underlying muscle and the sheep died.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No offense but I will pass on shelter and rescue dogs, my mother and her huge heart was notorious for this and I grew up with psycho or mentally defective dogs, I took in two adult labs 15 years ago thinking they only needed a good home, one was definitely psycho, the other awesome.

I can't take that chance with guard dog breeds, I want to see the parents too.

My oldest daughter wanted a puppy and a friend of her friend had Rott/Lab puppies. The little 6 week old puppy was a round puffball, but he grew to be 150 pounds (on the Vet's scale) before two years old, all the marks of a Rott with a skinny face. Thankfully, he is really lazy and extremely docile, and my daughter can't understand why people are scared of him.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Here is my last Rot, a wonderful female
[Linked Image]

I am going to echo what everybody else has said. Pick your breeder, look at both parents. Some have been bred for big bodies, giant heads, and aggression. Steer clear. Hip dysplasia is another problem--the parents should have certificates showing them to be free of the problem. Avoid any rescue dogs--they probably weren't well trained. Don't get a Rottie if you don't know how to train dogs. Dominance is an issue--You have to be the alpha. That doesn't mean you beat them to show who is boss, but you need to have the time and know the techniques. Obedience training is an art and a science--if you don't know how, sign up with a trainer who welcomes big dogs.
If you get a good one and train it right, you get a friend and protector without equal.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the great information all. If anyone else has any experience, please respond.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had 2 rottie's. Both males. Everyone was spot on as far as they take lots of socializing as pups and training. Also the advice on looking for a good breeder and check the lines for hip displasia.
They are highly intelligent, and loyal to their master. Mine have been great with kids.
Our second one has a huge work drive and is most happy when given a job. He's been Schutzhun trained and now is working on doing herding training also. He's a big baby, but when he feels we are in danger, he will put himself between us and the threat, puff up his huge chest and give a growl that makes any sane person stop.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My neighbor about a mile away has an older Rott named crusher.
I don't like to get out of my vehicle unless they are home. They let it run loose but I don't think it leaves the yard.
I always carry a handgun and would shoot as needed.
We have wolves and coyotes already we sure don't need free range dogs in the neighborhood.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had mixed results. I got two pups twenty years ago. Betty was a couple weeks older and very smart. I trained her the basic commands and she learned real fast. After that she watched me work with Bigfoot and that was the last time Betty would follow any command. I tried every technique I could think of with Betty but she was just contrary.

A couple of weeks after the initial training a girlfriend who had experience with Rotts worked with them for a summer. Maybe that was Betty's problem, IDK.

Big was the opposite, that big blockheaded guy was just plain happy with me as the boss. Best dog I've had. Great temperament, loyal, protective, stayed home if she was chained up, just a good boy.

I never feared that either of them would hurt anybody, in fact they were too friendly as my neighbors can attest. Amy admitted to overdoing the socialization "but they were so cute" geez.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 07/26/16.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (2500HD, 160user, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 300s, 2UP, 13 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,094
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.