Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Parallax comes into play with the 1" scopes on a .22. The factory set it for 100 yards in most cases.

Use a scope with an adjustable objective if you have one.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No time for junk scopes here. It should shoot alot better clean, with a good scope.

LOL
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, knew the parallax could be a problem, trying really hard to get the same cheek weld every time. Don't have a good rimfire scope, wouldn't mind buying one if I knew a good one for a reasonable price. All my other 22LR guns are iron or peep sights only.

Took it out tonight, still getting 4 out of 5 holes fitting under a dime at 25yds. I think the 5th is the shooter's fault, tho that bottom left group was a let down. It's why I'm doing this shooting with this group, practicing my bench shooting form. Shot one 3 shot group on Monday with a front and rear rest after sighting in and it was just a single .3" hole. Only get a front rest for the shooting we score, so probably breathing or just unsteady.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a target with coins for scale. Hopefully I'll get better with it, but I'm impressed for it being an 80 year old gun just picked off a gun rack at Cabelas. All the other guys were using new stuff, but the old Savage did quite well.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For an interesting look at state of the art .22 shooting in that era when your gun was made, target and hunting, snag a copy of ".22 Caliber Rifle Shooting" by C.S.Landis. Thorough treatise on the subject.

That rifle, with premo ammunition, should produce targets like the top left one at 50 yards, and like the bottom left one at 100 yards- prone with a tight sling, with aperture sights.

Be careful, Rory. The world of 30's-vintage target rifles is a complex one and a fun one. That rabbit hole can tempt you into a whole new world!

Winchester was king of the hill back then. They set themselves a goal of domination of American .22 competition shooting, and spared no expense in the development and manufacture of the Model 52- and it became the standard to which all others were compared. My Speedlock 52A, off the bench with 10x Fecker scope adjusted for parallax, will shoot 5 shot premium ammo groups at 50 yards you can cover with an aspirin. (Not nearly as well with irons, sling and my gimpy self as the shooting platform! The fun is in striving to equal bench quality by position shooting.)

We could have great fun with .22 postal matches amongst us girls. I would even buy a 1933 NRA to keep the playing field even!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've seen those Winchester 52's, look pretty cool. Just trying my toes in this benchrest world, didn't even try different ammo - grabbed the first bulk case of Remington I found in my stash. Always before if I could knock down that silhouette target at 300 meters it was good enough for expert, or if the deer drops after the first shot then all is good. grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The last 1933 I had really liked Federal standard velocity stuff, but each rifle is a law unto itself. I reserve Remington bulk ammo for shooting tin cans with my "plinker" .22's. If you ever stumble onto any old (15 or so years) Federal Gold Ultra Match, buy it- even if you need to take out a second mortgage. Too bad Federal discontinued it, as it was the ultimate in accurate American-made .22 ammo. I will cry unashamedly when the last two bricks of it I have are finally spent. Bug hole accuracy is a given, no matter which lot it is, unlike Eley Tenex which can slip a stinker lot through now and then.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
We could have great fun with .22 postal matches amongst us girls. I would even buy a 1933 NRA to keep the playing field even!

Hey, I could be up for that. Or to use the modern vernacular - I'm down with that! I stumbled into a nice 19-33 a few years back. It was one of my early personal "Holy Grail" .22 rifle finds. Right now I’m setting it up with a Lyman 48Y and a hooded Redfield globe front sight on a dovetail base. I have a Redfield 3200 scope that will go on it as soon as it gets repaired. Of course this will all come to fruition only if I can put down my current personal “Holy Grail” .22 rifle find - a 1922 M2 Springfield.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by S99VG
Of course this will all come to fruition only if I can put down my current personal “Holy Grail” .22 rifle find - a 1922 M2 Springfield.

I hear you on that. I played with a couple back in a previous life and would dearly like another one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm in if y'all aren't too snobbish about what you let me shoot. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
IC B3

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Blasphemy!!!

Gotta be Savage only if I participate. grin

Maybe have 22LR and 22 Hornet and 22 High Power divisions..

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Now you're talking, I want to see some one shoot a Gnats eye out with an HP. If your really good you can put it in through it's eye and out it's, well, you know where I mean, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yup, Savages only, even though that's a pretty nifty fusil you got there Roy.

.22's at 50 yards, .22 CF's at 100. But darn it, now I gotta buy a .22 RF Savage. A shopping we will go, a shopping we will go, hi-ho the derry-o a shopping we will go!

Be interesting to see what Gene would unlimber for this!

Off the bench or off the hind legs???

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/04/16.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, Savages only, even though that's a pretty nifty fusil you got there Roy.

.22's at 50 yards, .22 CF's at 100. But darn it, now I gotta buy a .22 RF Savage. A shopping we will go, a shopping we will go, hi-ho the derry-o a shopping we will go!

Be interesting to see what Gene would unlimber for this!

Off the bench or off the hind legs???

Gotta be bench for me to have a chance against you guys.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My days of precision position shooting are behind me. My back/posture defies a good offhand stance, and I would need oldotter or somebody to help me up off the ground after shooting prone! How about sitting, in a lawn chair? grin

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/04/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
There ya go, Fireball.. sweet!

Sitting works for me.. recliner at the lake. Yeah.. Or, any position the shooter wants to shoot from.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by S99VG
Of course this will all come to fruition only if I can put down my current personal “Holy Grail” .22 rifle find - a 1922 M2 Springfield.

I hear you on that. I played with a couple back in a previous life and would dearly like another one.

All it took for me was five months of payments. Not the most expensive firearms purchase I ever made, but close. Now all I need is that 1903 NRA Sporter!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now you're cooking with gas!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How about sitting, in a lawn chair? grin

I think if you use one of those fold up soccer mom chairs with the built in cup holders, put a tall boy in the holder, it will work just as good as any bench, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.