-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Single biggest screw up of WWII was not finishing off the Russians with Stalin in charge when the opportunity presented itself. The West should have let Russia and Germany fight to destroy themselves on the Eastern front without assisting Russia, and then taken out that maniacal SOB Stalin at the first opportunity.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The USA becoming involved in it.

D-Day. Every time I watch it, I'm overcome with deep sadness. There should have been no D-Day. FDR was a traitor and a Stalin puppet. Stalin wanted FDR to open a western front thereby forcing the Nazis to fight a two front war, thus taking a lot of Nazi pressure off of Stalin. A patriot would have never, ever aligned with Stalin. A patriot would have placed his soldiers above all others. A patriot would have told Stalin to eff off, that Hitler was his problem. After all, Stalin & Hitler signed the Non-Aggression Pact making them allies. Hell, Stalin was such a dupe that he actually thought that Hitler and he were going to divide Poland among themselves.

WWII was a continuation of WWI, neither of which was any of our damned business. But FDR was hellbent on duping gullible Americans into the war, so he set up Pearl Harbor.

FDR was nothing but a 2-bit dirt bag murderer who should have been tried and hanged.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SU35

Actually a great idea but Hitler waited to late in the year, winter came early.

He'd never read the wisdom in the Bible I'd bet. 2 Samuel 11:1

"In the spring of the year, the time when kings go out to battle"

LOL
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by SakoAV

D-Day. Every time I watch it, I'm overcome with deep sadness. There should have been no D-Day. FDR was a traitor and a Stalin puppet. Stalin wanted FDR to open a western front thereby forcing the Nazis to fight a two front war, thus taking a lot of Nazi pressure off of Stalin. A patriot would have never, ever aligned with Stalin. A patriot would have placed his soldiers above all others. A patriot would have told Stalin to eff off, that Hitler was his problem. After all, Stalin & Hitler signed the Non-Aggression Pact making them allies. Hell, Stalin was such a dupe that he actually thought that Hitler and he were going to divide Poland among themselves.

WWII was a continuation of WWI, neither of which was any of our damned business. But FDR was hellbent on duping gullible Americans into the war, so he set up Pearl Harbor.

FDR was nothing but a 2-bit dirt bag murderer who should have been tried and hanged.

Hrsesheit.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I hear a cuckoo-clock.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by speedsixman
GunGeek,

"so let's just declare war on he worlds largest economy with the 2nd largest Navy.."

I thought that we had the largest Navy at the time. If we were # 2, who had the largest ?

Myron
Great Britain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Britain and France declaring war on Germany to save Poland. Six years later after possibly one hundred million deaths, they gave Poland up to a worse dictator than Hitler.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I disagree with Sakoav saying we shouldn't get involved

But our involvement was indeed mostly at the machinations of FDR

No one can know for certain the whole emperor gig is kinda crazy , but FDR basically gave Japan's emperor an ultimatum & either boycotted or threatened to boycott oil to Japan

There's pretty good evidence to suggest they calculated an attack on US soil as a result

Thus changing the sentiment of the average American for the US to get involved

Lots of lives lost over oil

Some things seldom change

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I disagree with Sakoav saying we shouldn't get involved

But our involvement was indeed mostly at the machinations of FDR

No one can know for certain the whole emperor gig is kinda crazy , but FDR basically gave Japan's emperor an ultimatum & either boycotted or threatened to boycott oil to Japan

There's pretty good evidence to suggest they calculated an attack on US soil as a result

Thus changing the sentiment of the average American for the US to get involved

Lots of lives lost over oil

Some things seldom change

Not just oil, then, but rubber (the Goodyear plantations in the South Pacific controlled nearly all the supply of rubber in the Pacific region) and steel. Without those three, Japan's economy and military would have - and did - crumble.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SU35
The British surrendering Singapore to the Japs.

The Marines attacking Peleliu Island. Not needed and wasted thousands of Marine lives.

Putting British General Montgomery in charge of the Battle of The Bulge. Should have been Patton, arguably the war may have ended sooner had Patton been put in command.

1 - Hitlers invasion of the Soviet Union. I mean, let's just tie into a military that's 3x as large as yours, while you're still involved in a war on another front...Genius idea.

Actually a great idea but Hitler waited to late in the year, winter came early.

2 - Japan's attack of Pearl Harbor and the Philippines. Hey, we're an island nation with the 3rd largest navy in the world. So let's just start a fight with the #1 & #2 navies in the world at the same time...BRILLIANT!!!

Not a bad idea if the Japs had made plans to land troops and take HI. Also sticking around and making sure our carriers were taken out.

3 - Hitler's declaration of war on the US. Hey, we've already got a serious tiger by the tail in the Soviet Union, so let's just declare war on he worlds largest economy with the 2nd largest Navy...But we're the master race, we got this!!

Germany/Hitler had a oral agreement with Japan to do so. It forced his hand.

4 - Operation Market Garden - Let's send tanks up a single road in a nation that's mostly under water, and make our objective 3 bridges away...I mean, what could go wrong? Right?

No all were dip-chit ideas. Sure, they could have turned out better, but eventually they were all massive strategic blunders into a war they cannot win. The only thing that would result in your ideas are more Allied casualties, and a different end date to the war.

IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Germany also screwed the pooch in their assessments of what it would take to win Barbarossa. The generals submitted early estimates that were accurate. Hitler rejected them, so they went back and cooked the numbers. The final logistics were about 30% lower than what was needed.
Germany attacked with 86 divisions (IIRC) and expected to encounter between 100-120 divisions of Soviet Soldiers. After 3 weeks of fighting, Von Manstein cabled back to high command that thus far his forces had identified 320 divisions of Soviet troops. That's a MASSIVE screwup. I can't even imagine how pissed Von Manstein was.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Japan didn't know those would be the numbers at the time of the attack. You have to remember that 1941 USA looked vastly different from 1945 USA. Our military was unproven and politically we were isolationist. It was a 50/50 gamble by Japan that they could destroy our Pacific fleet and the US would acquiescence instead of fight. If a few things had gone Japan's way, the war would have been extremely different. We almost lost the 1st Marine division on Guadacanal. The Navy abandoned the Marines there. We were down to the Big E being our last carrier at one point. If the Japs has sunk her, they would have owned the Pacific. The Japanese were not easy to defeat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good,points Sean, but it seems evident FDR wasn't looking for a diplomatic solution.

Still with what I can glean of the collective Japanese thought process during that time, it's very possible no diplomatic solution existed

One of the biggest screw ups imo is that Hirohito escaped any punishment, true he'd been raised by the military and was a bit of a pawn in their scheme, still he bore some great responsibility

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He wasn't, because he couldn't afford to. He wanted in the war, badly, and a lot of that stemmed from the facts that 1) the US economy was still faltering and a war would spur industry and save his legacy and ideology; 2) Germany was going to destroy Western Europe this time; and 3) he had boxed himself out of diplomatic options and the only way to save face was to fight. There were many other reasons, but those three are often overlooked.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cv540
Japan picking fight with US.

These were the naval production numbers during the war.

United States Japan
Aircraft Carrier 141 17

Battleship 10 2

Cruiser 48 9

Destroyer 349 63

Subs 203 167

Merchant ships
(in tonnage) 33,993,000 4,152,000

Aircraft 324,750 76,320

For an island nation to pick a fight with a nation whose production capabilities were about 12 times greater than them was suicidal.

Above figures are from a fabulous website: http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm

Ignorance and arrogance. Very few in Japan had any real understanding of how vast of a nation the US was; or the massive natural resources and man (woman) power.

Still, they did know it was David picking a fight with Goliath.

The biggest strategic blunder was in their estimation of our resolve. They knew we had a large Navy, but we lacked a real strong fighting tradition and history. They thought we were like the Italian Navy...big, impressive, but unwilling to risk anything in a real fight.

Their strategic thinking was that the US wouldn't risk it's beautiful Navy over some Pacific islands, and that after 6 months of Yamamoto "running wild" in the Pacific, and the loss of some US capital ships, that the US would sue for peace. Biggest strategic blunder of WWII.

In the early days of WWII, Japan did indeed kick our Navy's arse each and every time we clashed. A friend's grandfather was a seaman aboard the USS Chicago, and USS San Francisco, both heavy cruisers, during the early days of WWII. He swam off the decks of both Cruisers as they went down. He said they just knew if they even caught sight of the Japanese, they were going down; and he was right. THAT's how overbearing the Japanese Navy was in the Pacific in those days.

But the US Navy turned out to be even more competent than the Japanese. They thought we would be like the Italians. They were a bit shocked after Midway that we turned out to be like the British.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

H@rsesheit.

That's not how President Hoover described WWII. All the same to you, I'll go with facts and President Hoover's book. I'm good with your meandering in pastures looking for horse droppings. Who knows, horse dropping might be the divining rod that pulls knowledge to you.

You gotta believe what you gotta believe. For some people, these three words are impossible to say, "I was wrong."

You can go along merrily in life believing what you want to believe, or you can search out facts. My advice is to go with facts.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

H@rsesheit.

That's not how President Hoover described WWII. All the same to you, I'll go with facts and President Hoover's book. I'm good with your meandering in pastures looking for horse droppings. Who knows, horse dropping might be the divining rod that pulls knowledge to you.

You gotta believe what you gotta believe. For some people, these three words are impossible to say, "I was wrong."

You can go along merrily in life believing what you want to believe, or you can search out facts. My advice is to go with facts.

Pearl Harbor conspiracies are the bunk.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

FDR did tell Stalin to pound sand for 3 years. We invaded at OUR time and place of choosing. You're forgetting, Germany declared war on US, not the other way around. And we were engaged in open naval warfare for 3 years with Germany before D-Day. Whether you like it or not, D-Day had to happen at some point. And D-Day was a resounding success even with the losses at Omaha beach. And when you consider the scope of D-Day, the losses at Omaha start to take perspective. To think we could just stroll onto German occupied territory unopposed is crazy. We got seriously lucky that the only Omaha and Juno faced any serious opposition. D-Day is perhaps the most important day of the 20th century.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We had deciphered the Japanese Naval Code before Pearl Harbor. We knew where Yamamoto was before he did.

Every ship destroyed in Pearl Harbor was obsolete. The only two of military value were aircraft carriers that were suspiciously moved out of Pearl Harbor a day before the surprise attack that FDR knew was going to occur.

Everything that Americans were taught about Pearl Harbor and why we got involved in WWII was a lie.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Out of all the books on WWII you choose THAT one as "fact"...You take one very controversial book, and that becomes fact to you? What about the vast preponderance of evidence to the contrary in hundreds of other books? All just some vast conspiracy I presume?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 44 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.