Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Its way more fun to jump deer and Javelinas out of canyons. Shooting them on the run is fun if the place is open enough. We hunted in Ozona like that a lot.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Jumping them would be fun. Done that a few times.

My two favorites though have been still hunting and killing bedded bucks within 30 yards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Has anyone ever seen anyone white wild turkey? We have a few on our lease near Burnet Texas.

Shot a white jake several years back. He did have a black beard though. Took him to a local guy to mount, but never saw it again. Got an old print around here somewhere.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by rost495
Turkeys rate just a notch above wild pigs. They can clean up a bunch of corn like vacuum cleaners very quickly. They are fun to try to call in during spring season.

Hush your mouth. I'd sooner hunt turkey than deer.

LOL, its fun finding out what others like.

I had a go at turkeys since a kid. Thats all I ever wanted. Once I figured out how to call them, it was pretty easy. And then we did the stuff you aren't supposed to.. call em over fences, across creeks, across game proof 8 foot fences and so on.

Finally got bored with them after shooting em with bows and pistols and shotguns etc..... And then guiding for them for years.

Deer, while I don't consider them either harder or easier, just have more draw for me in the end.

And then to think that I love to hunt ducks but could mostly care less about turkeys. I regularly pass up invites....

I enjoy proactive hunting. Calling for ducks, calling for Sitka blacktails, calling for turkey and trying to out maneuver them.

Sitting in a blind/deer stand is about as enjoyable as pounding 10-penny nails through the head of my cock.

Not everyone sits in deer blinds waiting.... though I"m forced to at our deer lease, I am not at home or other places and tend to drift away from blinds if its allowed.... FWIW.

I love hunting ducks. Don't care for turkeys' anymore.

Hope to do a lot more sitka stuff in coming years for sure.

And hope to get the time to devote to bowhunting again. There is a time consuming challenge to that for sure. Much more so than lift a gun and kill something. But like some things its very time consuming.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never have seen a white one in the wild. Be interesting to learn if it is a domestic or a natural mutation. Maybe the wildlife biologists can comment.

Turkeys are very common on my lease, but not easy to hunt. There was only one guy on our lease that actively hunts them in the spring, trying to call them into shotgun range. The rest of the time they're a target of opportunity. They seem to do most of their struttin in the middle of the farm to market road, where you can't shoot them.

Occasionally one wanders past the deer stand and runs off the deer. Then we cheerfully shoot them.

[Linked Image]

They sure make good eating, cooked in a slow cooker smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hanco: Over the years I have seen several white "Wild Turkey's" in eastern Montana.
One of my Hunting partners killed a large one with his English side by side shotgun.
I am not sure what causes them but in a conversation with a Montana Game Warden in that area he advocated we shoot them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It can be either an albino wild turkey or domestic genes Where they have free range domestic Turkeys it can happen more frequently.

If there is a choice I agree it is good advice to shoot the white ones. Especially if it is suspected that it is because of domestic genes. They are not as hardy as the wild birds.

I have only seen hens which aren't legal except in certain counties. I also suspect the Tom's may kill the white Tom's but have not witnessed this.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by rost495
Turkeys rate just a notch above wild pigs. They can clean up a bunch of corn like vacuum cleaners very quickly. They are fun to try to call in during spring season.

Hush your mouth. I'd sooner hunt turkey than deer.

LOL, its fun finding out what others like.

The turkey guys just about go catatonic when I berate them for using a shotgun to ground sluice a bird during mating season....

I think the .25-20 is about ideal.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've seen the "white turkeys" quite a bit on the property where I deer hunt. The ones I see aren't completely white as you'd expect with an albino critter and don't look like domestic turkeys. They are predominantly light gray with dark brown/black tipped feathers, but look just like any other wild turkey otherwise. So far, the ones I've seen have all been hens, though the condition is found in toms as well.

The gray/white turkeys I'm referring to are known as "smoke phase" turkeys and occur naturally from recessive genes. They are not the result of interbreeding with domestic turkeys as is commonly believed. They look just like the one in the photo in this article:
http://www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.c...e-phase-turkeys-are-not-domestic-hybrids

Although these smoke phase turkeys are fairly rare as a percentage of the whole population, they aren't all that uncommon. According to everything I've read, it's more common in Easterns than the other wild turkey varieties.

Ted
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Some leases don't allow a hunter to hunt on foot. I like going during the week. You don't have to worry about being shot.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I enjoy proactive hunting. Calling for ducks, calling for Sitka blacktails, calling for turkey and trying to out maneuver them.

Sitting in a blind/deer stand is about as enjoyable as pounding 10-penny nails through the head of my cock.

I almost agree. Never hunted from a blind except for ducks.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We had white turkeys among three different flocks around here a few years ago. Ol boy that owns the property behind ours put a modest bounty on the one in his flock. My kids adopted it as "their turkey" so I couldn't shoot it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen a couple white ones in flocks of normal colored wild turkeys in the foothills of the Blue Mountains in Washington state near Dayton.

Deus Juvat

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thread got me Goggling and ran across this from MI DNR.

Smokey-gray (white) turkeys

Smokey-gray wild turkeys are rare but not uncommon in Michigan. This color variation in wild turkeys is a recessive trait, more common in females than in males, present in Michigan due to the wild turkey restoration program using birds that were acquired from Iowa in the 1980s. Some of the birds from Iowa carried this trait. Through our restoration activities, the smokey-gray trait was passed through the southern Michigan population of wild turkeys. This smokey-gray color aberration in wild turkeys is not an indicator of birds with domestic turkey genetics. It is a trait similar to melinism or albinism and is found in wild turkeys. On average, hen (female) turkeys weigh about 9.4 pounds and tom (male) turkeys weigh 19.2 pounds.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Only seen two. Took two seasons for my buddy to close the deal on the white one in the picture below.

[Linked Image]

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I saw a purple turkey after a ZZ Top concert in November 1975. It was on the road going from Galveston to Jamaica Beach.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dude - did you see that?!
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I was at that concert. At the Coliseum downtown. I was a bit younger then. Didnt see any purple turkey. You must had better weed than we did!!

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We had more than weed. I thought it was at the Summit but it might have been the coliseum. We left straight from the concert and drove to a friends beach house for the weekend. Everyone in the van was passed out except for the driver - me. I saw a lot of weird stuff. I was 16. The cowboy surfer culture I grew up in was cool.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Dude - did you see that?!
[Linked Image]

The one I saw was 100% purple like it was illuminated by a black light.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.