Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Depends on their diet. Eating soybeans, corn and acorns, our river bottom hogs are usually fat and eat well.

We don't eat boars, although young ones are OK before they start to mature.

+1 on wearing rubber gloves, maybe double gloves. Feral hogs can carry diseases and parasites. The ones most likely to affect humans are Brucellosis (Bangs disease) and Tularemia (Rabbit Fever). Other diseases/parasites are more risk for cattle, etc.

Hogs are nasty critters. I've posted before that we put a trail camera at the camp "bone yard" where we drag carcassas. We would see carcasses eaten down to skeletons the next day. Man, we though, those coyotes are really active. Nope, it was hogs eating hogs.

Having said all that, hogs are great table fare when they're fat and the meat is handled with care, into the cooler ASAP.

DF

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I got to go to Texas three years in a row for Axis, turkey and pigs. The place we hunted on let us kill all the pigs we could in 3 days and I killed a bunch each time. The meat ran from good to bad, like many have reported. They had people down there who would butcher as soon as we brought game in.

If it was me, and I was on a limited budget, and was using my meat budget for the year on a hunt, I'd shop the sales at the grocery store so my family had some decent meat for the year.

Not many places will let you shoot all the pigs you want unless you have the bucks to keep paying as you go, and there is not much public land in Texas.

Another, if it was me, and I did go to Texas and had the money for an Axis "hunt", that's what I would bring home. Axis is one of the best tasting wild game meats I've had and I've never heard of a bad axis deer unless ruined by infected wounds, heat, or allowed to spoil.

Planning your annual menu around a hog hunt is iffy at best, unless they're are feral on your own property.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The only wild pork that I've eaten that had a bad taste was when somebody killed one and let it stay warm too long. You need to skin them and get them iced down as soon as possible. It's ok to hang them for a while as long as you keep the temperature between freezing and 40 degrees. When the meat temperature gets above 40 degrees bacteria in the meat starts growing rapidly.

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks Fellas, I'm enjoying reading your opinions and comments.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
On my first two hunts I went for boars. The first one tasted great, the second one was horrible (each about 250 lbs). Both had been eating acorns, so that is not a guarantee. The second one was specifically hunted as it was a very-ill tempered roan which had killed at least one dog and had eluded other hunters for quite some time. He was scarred all over from many fights. Lesson learned: don't shoot those if you want to put it on the table.

Since then I've only taken sows (three of them) and have been pleased with the table fare they provide.

Good luck in making the arrangements that work for you. Hog hunting is a blast.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

IC B2

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks Bob!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Went on a Texas hunt a few years ago. They (Texans) were telling me that they knew how to do it best way. They dug a big pit and burned a load of Mesket in it and then put the pig in for most of a day. My opinion, leave it in the pit and go to Safeway and buy a pork roast. That wild pig stuff is fuggn rank.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This......and I've shot quite a few.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Interesting comments about Florida hogs considering I have probably shot & eaten about 100. Most were meat hogs, but dammed good. Sort of like a comment when fishing Lake Ontario for salmon & several locals advised me that their salmon were oily & not fit to eat. They were fishing with me the next day & I offered them salmon sandwiches & they remarked how good Alaska salmon were. They were amazed when I informed them I caught them the day before. No idea where this kind of misinformed crap comes from. Even a boar hog makes good sausage if the fat is trimmed off & domestic pork fat used.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I need to come hunt with you in VA TBear. I was just online looking at VA's regulations and such.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We usually eat quite a bit of feral hog each year, but I haven't shot one in awhile, mostly due to the heat. Last one I did get was a tender shoat I cooked whole in my electric smoker. I've eaten all sizes, never got a really bad one, actually the largest boat I've taken on my place was excellent eating, but from his smell he had been heavily into some molasses-based livestock feed!

In my opinion, gloves should be worn whether cleaning hogs or deer. Most common hog diseases are neutralized by cooking. Fresh back straps are as good as deer back strap, and I like to cure and smoke the hams. Shoulders are either cut up for sausage or into "roasts". The ribs are "different" from domestic hog ribs, but very tasty smoked.

As has been noted, not a lot of fat on feral hogs, so some fat usually needs to be added when making sausage. I usually make "pan" sausage, which we use for meat sauces and as a substitute for ground beef, as well as for breakfast sausage.

I have only killed one feral hog to date with enough belly fat to make bacon, but the dry cured bacon I made from that one was VERY good.

By all means, get them skinned and quartered, washed well, and on ice ASAP! I leave either hog or venison iced for as long as a week, draining water off and adding ice if needed daily.

Mike

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve run across enough bad hogs smell wise, to understand some think they are bad period. They are not. Use a bit of sense and you'll be fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have eaten quite a few of them, and given the choice, I will pass. Pork tastes a lot better from when its penned and corn fed...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After working with a lot of biologist's and seeing and butchering them for inspection and testing. No one that knows what they are like would eat that $hit on a bet!!!Most vermin infested animals that walk!!!!

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
unless it's a young'un been fattened on white oak acorns, and maybe a little man-made corn thrown in.

i've always thought rankness varied by age, and especially by gender. if a male is knocked down we cut him immediately. some folks say it doesn't help at all.

the temp the hog is kept might vary also. the sooner one can be iced, probably the better.

lot's of variables, without a doubt, not all of which is the pigs fault.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Do what ingwe does and start buying hogs and turning them loose out in hunting areas . He told me he has turned nearly 800 pigs loose in Montana and hopes to never have to travel to Texas again.
He brought the wolves to Montana/Idaho/Wyoming etc. too so he knows what he's doing .
At least I think it was ingwe -he's shady like that . smile

Last edited by ol_mike; 08/08/16.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fat half grown females are best. Half grown males are ok. If your are the one doing the cleaning, bring plenty of sharp knives. Also helps to have lansky or good sharpening equipment.
Hunted with a group who loved to trap hogs. Cut all the males and marked their ears. These hogs grew really large and it did not take long. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mohick
After working with a lot of biologist's and seeing and butchering them for inspection and testing. No one that knows what they are like would eat that $hit on a bet!!!Most vermin infested animals that walk!!!!

Vs what gets jacked into a commercial feedlot hog?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
please y'all, let's don't glorify wild hogs. they are a nuisence, a pain.
don't get enraptured with the potential of a new game animal.

they are not that. and the farmers will thank you later.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot 'em and let something else eat them. Not me.

Wild hog diseases and parasites are pretty scary. There's too much good meat to eat to risk it for me... wink

Diseases that are transmissible from animals to humans are called zoonotic diseases. Many of these diseases are transmitted through contact with bodily fluids and handling or ingestion of infected tissues. Diseases can also be transmitted indirectly through contaminated water sources and possibly, through ticks. Zoonotic diseases transmissible by wild pigs include
•Leptospirosis
•Brucellosis
•E. coli
•Salmonellosis
•Toxoplasmosis
•Rabies
•Swine Influenza viruses
•Trichinosis
•Giardiasis
•Cryptosporidiosis

Disease Prevention

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Follow these simple measures to avoid infection when handling or field dressing wild pigs:
1.Wear latex or nitrile gloves; pathogens can enter the body through cuts on hands or torn cuticles.
2.Avoid splashing body fluids into your eyes or mouth.
3.Wash your hands thoroughly after field dressing and processing meat, even if you wear gloves.
4.Thoroughly clean and disinfect work areas and tools used to dress and butcher wild pigs.
5.Dispose of animal remains, used gloves, and other materials properly. Animal remains should not be left for scavengers, nor should they be fed to dogs. Depending upon your jurisdiction, several methods of appropriate disposal may be considered. Check with your local health department or state wildlife agency.
6.Follow correct refrigeration, freezing, and cooking methods. Freezing to 0°F will render bacteria inactive but will not destroy them; once thawed, bacteria can again become active. Also, do not rely on home freezing to destroy Trichina and other parasites. Thorough cooking will destroy all parasites and kill bacteria. Cook wild pork to an internal temperature of 165°F to 170°F.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The eating size ones eat good but I wouldn't drive to Texas to stock up on pork.

They're fun to shoot though.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.