Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Partition is a great bullet, no doubt, but there are about 4 bullets I can think of off the top of my head that will do a better job. If your shooting elk in the chest or up the rear or dead on a shoulder bone then that bullet is what you need as it is extremely tough, but if your shooting them behind the shoulder in the lungs, shoot a bullet that's gonna cause more trauma. An accubond or an interlock will do that and if you hit a shoulder, you'll still be packing meat. I think some bullets are just too tough, and I'm an 06 shooter. But to be fair I've only shot deer with a partition and it slipped in and out, little blood, and tracking. An interlock flattens them, and exits. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Coyote10; 02/28/23.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
In Arizona, there have probably been more elk killed with 30/06 with rem core loct 180's and 270 Win 150g core loct than all other factory loadings combined.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Partition is a great bullet, no doubt, but there are about 4 bullets I can think of off the top of my head that will do a better job. If your shooting elk in the chest or up the rear or dead on a shoulder bone then that bullet is what you need as it is extremely tough, but if your shooting them behind the shoulder in the lungs, shoot a bullet that's gonna cause more trauma. An accubond or an interlock will do that and if you hit a shoulder, you'll still be packing meat. I think some bullets are just too tough, and I'm an 06 shooter. But to be fair I've only shot deer with a partition and it slipped in and out, little blood, and tracking. An interlock flattens them, and exits. Just my two cents.

That's funny stuff right there. Just FYI, the chest is a good place to look if you're trying to hit the lungs. And yes, elk are not bulletproof. While the NP is deadly on most any game, lots of folks kill them with whatever bullet is loaded in the ammo they find at the store. Fortunately, most of today's game bullets do a pretty good job.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by keith
In Arizona, there have probably been more elk killed with 30/06 with rem core loct 180's and 270 Win 150g core loct than all other factory loadings combined.

"The deadliest mushroom in the woods."

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have never seen a NP slip and and out of a WT deer without doing some very rude things in the chest cavity area.

The way life should be.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by keith

"The deadliest mushroom in the woods."

hahahaha

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/28/23.

KB

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
People have different experiences, some like Ford, some like Chevy, I have literally killed more deer than I can count with a 30-06 and a 6.5-06 on depred tags (in the hundreds) alone to know what bullet does what. For me, I'm an interlock fan. That's what give me my best results. I'm not a berger fan, although I know some swear by it. Basically what I'm getting at, is the consistency of the interlock is better for my needs than any other bullet I've tried. I really can't see anything else performing better on game inside 400 yards better than an interlock. And once again, I don't hunt the thick woods and what not, I'm in the plains and shoot 2 to 500 yards regularly. Past that I really don't care.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Also if you like shooting animals in the chest, you've got a really good chance of just hitting one lung and being above the heart, unlikely, but it can happen, pop both of them when they are broadside. Or you may flip the sucker over backwards and there he lay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well said Coyote. I started with Hornady's and went to Sierra's despite the naysayers. Run them long and mild and have been loving the results. To each his won.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Seems strange to me. The front end of the Partition is deliberately made soft.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Sure glad we ate those elk shot with the 270 and 7-08 before they got out of the freezer. laugh

I hope I'm not taking it out of context but I wholly support the fact that those cartridges are adequate for elk in normal ranges out to 200 yards maybe 300 at the most, I personally do not like the idea of setting up a Canon two miles a cross the canyon to take potshots at elk , or guys too in love with big bore that push it on everyone else, for everage hunter it's more important to learn to find elk and get to them in range, for Pete's sake a bow kills elk just fine, 100s were taken with 30-30, thousands with 30-06, 270 ask any Indian, none of them have anything bigger to this day,

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
In light of this 7 year old thread……….

I have always been very neutral regarding the 30-06. I can't deny its capability, but I don’t care for them & would never own one.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
That's your loss.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I have always been very neutral regarding the 30-06. I can't deny its capability, but I don’t care for them & would never own one.

Why?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
it may not be my favorite cartridge but the 30-06 is a super simple easy to use cartridge in many different type rifles ,buy 30-06 ammo almost any place in the world ,even borrow some 30-06 ammo in a pinch . i have a few 30-06 rifles too . at our camp when on a blood trail we have a Browning BLR 30-06 always ready and makes a good spare too. my Father always said there maybe some better cartridges but its still tuff to beat the old 30-06 he told me this 60 some years ago . if i do draw a bear permit this year i plan on using a 1953 Winchester model 70 pre 64 30-06 i inherited and will load my own special ammo for this bear hunt . > maybe the 30-06 does not impress many hunters but this cartridge is still a grand old cartridge and will continue to be for many more years . Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Seriously.....?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco

Why?

Yeah why?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Shoot2hunt
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Sure glad we ate those elk shot with the 270 and 7-08 before they got out of the freezer. laugh

I hope I'm not taking it out of context but I wholly support the fact that those cartridges are adequate for elk in normal ranges out to 200 yards maybe 300 at the most, I personally do not like the idea of setting up a Canon two miles a cross the canyon to take potshots at elk , or guys too in love with big bore that push it on everyone else, for everage hunter it's more important to learn to find elk and get to them in range, for Pete's sake a bow kills elk just fine, 100s were taken with 30-30, thousands with 30-06, 270 ask any Indian, none of them have anything bigger to this day,

I'm sure glad I ate that elk I shot at 456 yds with a 270 before it escaped from the freezer.........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Seriously.....?

i forgot to mention i plan on using good old Nosler Partitions that were given to me still like new in a 25 year old box. and i bet those Partitions will get`er done !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by hanco

Why?

Yeah why?

Doesn’t like to get his hands dirty by field dressing. 😁

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,506
Posts18,472,295
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.