Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Partition is a great bullet, no doubt, but there are about 4 bullets I can think of off the top of my head that will do a better job. If your shooting elk in the chest or up the rear or dead on a shoulder bone then that bullet is what you need as it is extremely tough, but if your shooting them behind the shoulder in the lungs, shoot a bullet that's gonna cause more trauma. An accubond or an interlock will do that and if you hit a shoulder, you'll still be packing meat. I think some bullets are just too tough, and I'm an 06 shooter. But to be fair I've only shot deer with a partition and it slipped in and out, little blood, and tracking. An interlock flattens them, and exits. Just my two cents.

Seriously.....?

i forgot to mention i plan on using good old Nosler Partitions that were given to me still like new in a 25 year old box. and i bet those Partitions will get`er done !

I started following my dad elk hunting as a kindergartener in the early 60's. Over the past 60 years between myself, guiding, family, and friends I've seen a lot of elk killed and saw the aftermath of many more. The Partition is still the most consistent, generally accurate, deep penetrating bullet across the widest range of velocities I've seen.

There are other excellent bullets out there these days, and I'm slowly transitioning to copper bullets, but it ain't easy giving up on a bullet that has been as reliable as the NPt's.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 03/05/23.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Casey,

These days a lot of hunters judge big game bullets on two things: Whether they exit, or if they don't exit how much weight they retain.

I'm kind of old-fashioned, so judge 'em more on how well they kill stuff--and have basically the same opinion.

Have also run into a lot of outfitters, guides and African PHs who agree.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Why switch to all copper?

The way life should be.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Partition is a great bullet, no doubt, but there are about 4 bullets I can think of off the top of my head that will do a better job. If your shooting elk in the chest or up the rear or dead on a shoulder bone then that bullet is what you need as it is extremely tough, but if your shooting them behind the shoulder in the lungs, shoot a bullet that's gonna cause more trauma. An accubond or an interlock will do that and if you hit a shoulder, you'll still be packing meat. I think some bullets are just too tough, and I'm an 06 shooter. But to be fair I've only shot deer with a partition and it slipped in and out, little blood, and tracking. An interlock flattens them, and exits. Just my two cents.

I know a partition will work. So will a 50 caliber round ball. I just like an interlock better. And from my experience, I see better performance for my needs with an interlock. I used to think I had to have a berger vld until I bought some interlocks one day because I couldn't get bergers. Never went back. Just me. Shoot what you want. But an 06 with a 165 IL or NAB is what I've got in my rifle. Different strokes for different folks. Also, like I said, my experience with a partition is with deer, not elk, but I have confidence in a Hornady.

Last edited by Coyote10; 03/05/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Casey,

These days a lot of hunters judge big game bullets on two things: Whether they exit, or if they don't exit how much weight they retain.

I'm kind of old-fashioned, so judge 'em more on how well they kill stuff--and have basically the same opinion.

I think there’s a third these days.

If they exist on a shelf or through the net to be purchased. I know it’s softened what I must have to what will work… grin

Semper Fi
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Casey,

Totally agree. But I'm not huge on the exit and weight retention as much as I am the trauma inflicted on a big game animals chest cavity and central nervous system. An exit is nice though, or an added bonus. Now with that being said, a quarter to shot must penetrate shoulder and travel into the vitals of an elk at say 300 yards is asking alot from a bullet and an 06 in my opinion. A partition would be a great choice for that situation. One broadside at 300, partition will get it done, but so will an interlock. So I guess it all comes down to shot placement in the end with any cartridge. I am old fashioned too. I shoot wood stocked rifles with 10 power leupolds, andd flat based bullets. Love that old 06 though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then there are those who seem to think there is only one criterion that matters: BC😉

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Reloder28
In light of this 7 year old thread……….

I have always been very neutral regarding the 30-06. I can't deny its capability, but I don’t care for them & would never own one.

Why?

Yeah why?

Doesn’t like to get his hands dirty by field dressing. 😁

With zero patriarchal influence growing up, I decided on my first hunting cartridge with the only input being a reloading manual where I wore the pages out. Initially I was a proponent of short action cartridges. In 1978 the 308 made the most sense to me, so it was my first rifle purchase at age 18.

To answer your question, everybody I knew were either 30-06 or 270 fans. I just did not want to follow the crowd as I have always preferred to swim upstream. When I finally stepped into the waters of long action choices in 2005, I chose the 280 for that same reason.

Now, I hunt alternately with 308 Win, 300 WSM, 280 AI or 7 Wby.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by southtexas
Then there are those who seem to think there is only one criterion that matters: BC😉

With ya on that. I could care less about bc. I don't even look at it when buying hunting bullets.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
B.C. Is waaaaay overrated!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's overrated for hunters but not for the new breed you cannot stand anything less than 800 yard pokes at game animals.

The way life should be.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't wanna pay for a scope that gives me a chance at even making an 800 yard shot lol. Everyone's long range now. With a creedmore...30-06 is the king. Make a good shot, it'll be fine.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CCCC
[quote=mart]The 30-06 has been impressing elk and elk hunters for over a hundred years.
It certainly has. I'm one of those elk hunters and a bunch of elk have found my 30:06 deadly impressive. Today, there are many excellent cartridges/bullets that work great in elk hunting, but don't quite see how any knoweldgeable elk hunter would deem the 30:06 as deficient.[/quote

for years the 06 was the gun most carried in Ak., my .02 I would carry it before the 7mm mag

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The ‘06 is and has been a classic hunting round.

New bullets and new powders do liven it up a bit.

I like mine, have more than one.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About those Partitons - I've shot elk with both PT's and Speer Hotcores out of a 300 WSM. I saw almost no difference in performance. They both retained the same amount of weight. With both bullets, I'd usually find it under the hide on the far side. The only difference I could see was the HC's deformed a bit more but it still hung together just fine. The elk didn't judge it on prettiness.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ultimately people should worry more about their skill in getting close, and then get 10 yards closer as the old saw went and placing their shot where they call it rather than the LR jackhats with the next big whizbang game hammer underneath an equally stupid scope. Real men still shoot off their hind legs where I live.

The way life should be.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Casey,

Totally agree. But I'm not huge on the exit and weight retention as much as I am the trauma inflicted on a big game animals chest cavity and central nervous system. An exit is nice though, or an added bonus. Now with that being said, a quarter to shot must penetrate shoulder and travel into the vitals of an elk at say 300 yards is asking alot from a bullet and an 06 in my opinion. A partition would be a great choice for that situation. One broadside at 300, partition will get it done, but so will an interlock. So I guess it all comes down to shot placement in the end with any cartridge. I am old fashioned too. I shoot wood stocked rifles with 10 power leupolds, andd flat based bullets. Love that old 06 though.

I have killed more elk with the .30-06 than any other cartridge--and have taken them with three .300 magums--WSM, Winchester and Weatherby.

Started using the 200-grain Partition back when it was a "semi-spitzer" or "blunt-nose"--Nosler used both terms over the years. Switched to the present spitzer when it appeared in the late 1970s. Have yet to recover one, whether from a .30-06 or the magnums, even when the bull was quartering toward me and the logical placement was in the big shoulder joint.

But whatever....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
5 or 6 years ago I got my hands on a bunch of 165 gr Accubond seconds that I use in my '06. I've shot 4 elk with them since then. AB's open up and destroy the chest cavity and seldom exit. I've found them under the far side hide more than anything. None of those elk have gone anywhere. I have about 200 of them left and they'll likely last until I'm too old to chase elk.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shot several big whitetails with a 150 interlock out of an 06. A couple made Boone. All are in the 190 to 240 pound range on the hoof. Every one either dropped or ran a short distance and took a nose dive. Shots are on average 200 to 250 yards. Most of the time I find that bullet under the skin on the off side. Sometimes they exit. But if they do run with that interlock, the blood loss is massive.

Now, I've shot more does than I can even begin to remember. Shot them with all kinds of different bullets out of that 06, but I do remember some runners with a partition and a berger that the blood trail was specks, and they were all exits from various ranges out to 200 or so if I remember right. I know these aren't elk but you elk hunters are really informative of bullet performance. Always want to learn from others. But I prefer an interlock or accubond for whatever reason.

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 16penny, 9 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,107
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.