Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Some of y'all don't get to the actual hunting parts of this forum very often, do you? grin

Phil's account on the forum

Scroll down to Phil's post on 7/23/16 and read from there forward if you don't want to read the whole thread.

Last edited by jds44; 08/10/16.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It sounds like the 7th shot into the pelvis is the shot that ultimately put the bear down, but not completely out. Hinting that a finisher was needed.

Me thinks he got real lucky.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by justin10mm
It sounds like the 7th shot into the pelvis is the shot that ultimately put the bear down, but not completely out. Hinting that a finisher was needed.

Luck built on tons of experience, a cool head, a cool hand, and more than a little practice.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nothing but respect for Mr. Shoemaker.

But I shall repeat. Anyone that kills an agitated grizz at spitting distance with a single stack 9mm and doesn't take a scratch, was damn lucky.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Given the proclivities of grizzlies and their prevalence in Alaska, I surprised that Phil Shoemaker was carrying a 9mm and not a 44 Mag (at a minimum)! On the other hand, it just validates the anti-gun crowd's statements that 9mm semi-auto pistols are dangerous! smile smile

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by justin10mm

Luck built on tons of experience, a cool head, a cool hand, and more than a little practice.

Excellent points, and spot on IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It's always entertaining when posters who likely have not seen brown bears in the 'flesh', let alone been around them like guys like Phil have been, offer advice and opinion.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

His cool head and shooting skills are what saved his clients.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CraigD
DAMN!!!!!! One hell of a story. Shot placement was the key.

Always

Last edited by Hammerdown; 08/10/16.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Holy crap!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DAMN Impressive!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't believe nobody else has asked if they caught any fish!!

Cancer Sucks
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Some ice water flows in that man's veins.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Good shooting Phil! If I ever get Alaska to fish I will be carrying a 12 ga. with slugs and buckshot!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
It's always entertaining when posters who likely have not seen brown bears in the 'flesh', let alone been around them like guys like Phil have been, offer advice and opinion.

Lolol. Amen.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Did Phil post the results of the autopsy and bullet performance? I know the bear died but I'm wondering if Phil gave his synopsis? I haven't had time to read the link yet.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not wish a lethal threat encounter of this type, or having to justify it afterwards, on anyone. But, it happened, and it sure gave Mr. Shoemaker (who didn’t need it) and the round some street cred. I am glad that I stocked up on some more of this ammo before this article hit.

Originally Posted by jds44
Some of y'all don't get to the actual hunting parts of this forum very often, do you? grin
Phil's account on the forum

Scroll down to Phil's post on 7/23/16 and read from there forward if you don't want to read the whole thread.

I would start on June 12, before the incident. For those not inclined to wade through the thread, some choice quotes from Mr. Shoemaker throughout the thread include:

6/12:

If you prefer some brand of 9mm, Buffalo Bore makes a heavy, hard cast 147 gr bullet that gives 1100 fps from a 4" barrel and I personally wound not feel the least bit inadequate in grinning down any black bear with a magazine full of those.

6/18:

But the simple answer to the question of whether or not a 9mm offers adequate protection against black bears, the answer is yes. Would it work on a 1000# brown bear ? It certainly will penetrate deep enough to reach the brain from any direction.

Post-incident, there are a number of gold nuggets that are not in the article:

7/24:
Oh, and as much as I appreciated the light weight of the little 9mm, it's larger magazine capacity and ability to rapidly make multiple hits, I am not yet ready to give up either my S&W M-65 357 or my S&W 44 Mtn Gun ! And the jury is still out on whether a pistol like my son's Hamilton Bowen 475 Linebaugh would have been an asset or a detriment as complete pass throughs could have endangered others. Plus I was able to achieve 3 hits with the 9mm, each eliciting a response from the bear, by the time it would have taken me to recover and shoot a second shot from the SA Linebaugh.

7/25:
The BB ammo performed just as well from the Glock 43 and I did a lot of my testing with it as I knew it would be popular due to it's size and weight . . . .

The picture of the bear carcass on 7/27 is insightful.

FWIW, shooting this round over my chronograph, I got a 5 shot average velocity of 1058 fps out of a Glock 19 Gen 4 (ES 28, SD 11), and I got 2 rounds to register out of a G43 at 1026 and 1021 fps.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems that's what Barsness would call an example of ONE, which is statistically meaningless.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Good shot placement is key but a more appropriate caliber would be a better choice when you have clients depending on you.

I sue hope lesser skilled folks don't take this as 9mm is now a bear gun.

Damn good post. Phil knows where to hit them, regardless to what he's shooting. Good job Phil. You are a real bad azz!!! With this being said, I think I would feel more comfortable, myself, with my 4006 loaded hot with some good bullets. Glad to see you were at least using that extremely dependable 3rd. gen. smith... cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.

Sounds like the man did a stellar job under the circumstances...all the way around.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.