-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, they didn't have the organized "Bible" but they certainly had the apostle's and Paul's individual letters to the churches and individuals on hand. They just weren't fully organized into the canon of scripture yet so to say they had no scriptures is not correct. The latest NT book to be written was probably Revelation and that was by the 90's AD.

So, all these books were circulating around to the first century churches.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
...all these books were circulating around to the first century churches.

All they had were the teachings of Jesus remembered by those who heard Jesus teach. Paul didn't even show up for about 20 years, and his writings didn't circulate for another 20 or 30 or even 40 years later. The Gospels were written between 70 and 90 A.D.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RickyD
I would dare say that the subject of prophecy takes up the greater
percentage of all of the sermons,
Not in any church I've attended more than twice.

I've been preaching for about 20 years and I almost never preach on end times events per se in a sermon dedicated to eschatology.

I think Christians need to spend more time learning how they should live right now rather than how the world will end.
I am not saying "end times teaching" is unimportant, but encouraging people to live pure and serve God more fully is much more important.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by antlers

All they had were the teachings of Jesus remembered by those who heard Jesus teach. Paul didn't even show up for about 20 years, and his writings didn't circulate for another 20 or 30 or even 40 years later. The Gospels were written between 70 and 90 A.D.
No, that wasn't all they had. They had the Holy Spirit. So do we, and He changes everything.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, that's what I said--Jesus and what He taught is the basis for Christianity as passed on by those who witnessed Him to the early church. Paul had a direct revelation from the post-Ascension Christ.

What is your point?

Edit: and Ricky is right!

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 08/18/16.
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I think Christians need to spend more time learning how they should live right now rather than how the world will end.
I do too. I prefer an emphasis on Grace and the Power of God in us, than I do sin and it's consequences. That's fine for the unsaved, but even so, understanding who we are in Christ will draw more to Him, than fear of the penalty of sin. Races are not won looking back.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

William Albright, who was not a Christian but a world class Ph.D archaeologist, said the entire New Testament was finished by the year 70AD. I think I will take the word of someone who actually dug up the area to make his discoveries rather than someone posting on the 'net.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

A couple points:

1. Why would it necessitate that the Apostles write while they could actively preach?

2. And, it was not just the Apostles who "circulated" and preached. The early Church (numbering in the 100s), after suffering persecution, were scattered abroad preaching the Gospel...thus fulfill the Great Commission to preach the Gospel throughout the whole world.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
rphguy,

Originally Posted by rphguy

I've been preaching for about 20 years and I almost never preach on end times events per se in a sermon dedicated to eschatology.

I am not saying "end times teaching" is unimportant, but encouraging people to live pure and serve God more fully is much more important.

What Parts of the New Testament are we to obey and what Parts are we not to obey?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The New Testament was the Devil's work. Gotta love everyone running around and bowing to a false prophet.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The author does a good job...speaking for the Devil.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Ringman
rphguy,

What Parts of the New Testament are we to obey and what Parts are we not to obey?

You'll need to be more specific. I'm sure you have some in mind that you would rather not obey...and some that you have no problem with.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

William Albright, who was not a Christian but a world class Ph.D archaeologist, said the entire New Testament was finished by the year 70AD. I think I will take the word of someone who actually dug up the area to make his discoveries rather than someone posting on the 'net.
Scholars date Paul's conversion in the late 30's AD, only a few years after Jesus' Crucifixion. He studied under the Jewish theologian Gamaliel who died in 50 AD. It's believed that Paul studied under him for about 10 years before his conversion. He started his 1st missionary journey around 45 AD.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The majority of so-called end of days prophesy and the what and when is a Protestant construct and most of it is less than 200 years old and wrong.

The modern nation-state of Israel has nothing to do with God's chosen people or Biblical prophesy. We, The Church are Israel. All the promises are fulfilled. Israel the nation-state has nothing else coming to them or any special standing.

The Jews had an Old Testament, which meant nothing to the Gentiles,

Not true. The Greeks had compiled all the ancient Jewish texts into the Septuagint and basically were worshiping God long before Christ was born. By doing so, the Greeks had actually preserved the original writings when the Hebrew texts were lost or destroyed.

When Christ and the Apostles were quoting what is now OT scripture, they were quoting from the Septuagint which was in common use at that time.

The Masoretic texts that the Reformers copied and translated for the Protestant Bible didn't become Jewish canon until about 1000 AD or so. The Masoretic texts were written in a manner to try and disprove Jesus Christ as the Messiah. They left several things out of some of the books that are found in the original Hebrew scriptures that were eventually translated into the Septuagint.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rphguy,

All of it. Those people were sheep shaggers riddled with syphilis.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Eschatology, scatology ... it all comes out in the end.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
A word of warning. Ringman's a pharisee under the law. A law he creates in the New Testament though the sacrifice of Christ fulfilled all law. He's also leading and deceptive, thus his lead in about what to obey in the NT. He has no concept of Grace and is thoroughly intractable.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You must be related to mohick.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I always enjoyed the section about Noah, mostly because I like animals.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is your point?

That the foundation of the Christian faith is not The Bible. The foundation of the Christian faith is not the infallibility or inerrancy of The Bible. The foundation of the Christian faith is something that happened in history...Jesus came to the earth and walked upon it, represented God, was God, and procured our salvation through His death and resurrection. *He* is the foundation of the Christian faith.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 1234, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,253
Posts18,504,724
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.