Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Very awesome gift to your father. That is some sorta awesome!!

I've been monkey'ing around with an old rechambered P64 I've had for a long time. Finally decided to shoot it. It was a 300 H&H but seems nicely rechambered to 300 Wby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did some speed checks with some 180's and a little accuracy testing but so far it doesn't seem to really like the combos I've put together.

[Linked Image]

Next time out, I'm going to shim it so the barrel floats and see what happens. Hoping it likes it since I have no problems floating it and making it a good Hunter. I really dig the rifle. Smooth as heck and feels good in my paws.

Nice old bang stick there Beretz.

Trump Won!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre64win
The .300 Wby Mag is a killer cartridge - perfect for NA big game in open country.

I've owned more than one pre 64 300 H&H which someone had rechambered into the .300 Wby. One of these rechambered rifles was done by Roy Weatherby himself, in the 1950s, I believe. As Roy Weatherby was trying to gain traction with his new cartridges, one of the things he did was offer very low-cost rechambering of non-Weatherby rifles into Weatherby cartridges. At the same time he was equipping big name hungers with these rifles and sending them on heavily publicized dangerous game hunts. A brilliant move, really, as it popularized the cartridges and therefore popularized the Weatherby rifles which had those chamberings from the factory.

Incidentally, those early rechambers done by RW have some nostalgic value to Weatherby fans, as they point back to the very beginnings of Weatherby's success. His barrel stamp was distinctive and a RW rechambered rifle is usually easy to spot - Here's a photo of one:

[Linked Image]

There is no doubt, the .300 Wby looked on paper to be a significant step up from the 300 H&H. What wasn't immediately obvious to everyone was that Roy's cartridges were a tad overpressured and would reduce barrel life compared to the lower pressure cartridges they were displacing. Regardless, they are terrific, flat trajectory chamberings which can really put some mustard behind a heavy projectile. Yours is a fantastic big game rifle!

Pretty clean looking stamp there. Looks great. I'm wondering how beretz's rifle is stamped? I've also seen some pretty cool original "Weatherby" rifles myself. One was built on a m1917 action and was about the nicest m1917 I've laid eyes on. The asking price ($2,500.00) was too much for my blood, but I still think about that rifle from time to time...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think and I'll have to look next time that WBY is actually stamped underneath the barrel. If I keep it as is I will probably get it stamped correctly.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty, is that your sons rifle or does he have a different 300WBY? How is the recoil compared to your 338?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Scotty, is that your sons rifle or does he have a different 300WBY? How is the recoil compared to your 338?

Son has a MKV Japanese rifle. Very light for a 300 Wby but the brake tames it a bunch.

This 70 is mine. Had it for awhile. Just never could decide what to do with it. Never been a huge 30 cal guy but I like what the 300 Weatherby does with tough hunting Bullets.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, it will put "tough" hunting bullets through thick lodge pines. Dead ones of course. Ask me how I know that..... laugh How does the recoil compare to your 338? Probably a little bit stiffer huh?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Actually, to be honest the 300 Wby with 180's feels a little easier on me than my P64 338 with 225 Partitions at 2900. I am digging the 300 Wby to be honest BSA, if the rifle will shoot decently I may get to hunt it a little this Fall.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Actually, to be honest the 300 Wby with 180's feels a little easier on me than my P64 338 with 225 Partitions at 2900. I am digging the 300 Wby to be honest BSA, if the rifle will shoot decently I may get to hunt it a little this Fall.

Bring it by my house this fall and I'll glass bed it and float the barrel for you... wink. I'm hunting first season this year, so it shouldn't be a problem...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've been cleaning up my "H&H", since Gunner was wanting some pics:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I can see why we can get a little excited over these old H&H rifles... laugh wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Sweet rifle.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by pre64win

Sweet rifle.
Yup,the stock though..... whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry, but I put more faith and trust in that stock than I do the factory wood stock. There's a reason they started putting crossbolts in 375 H&H and 458 stocks. The ones without certain updates are pretty iffy at best...

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Easy BSA,just teasin' you on the stock colors. grin

It's not a Pre '64 but do have a .375 H&H in a fiberglass stock.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really do like the looks of that one. That's about the perfect package right there, and it even has irons.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thinking of doing my .300 H&H in the same style and color stock. Then I'll have a kinda/sorta matched pair of H&H's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That would be very cool. How you liking that Bansner? I had one for a while on a classic, but didn't care for it too much. Ergo's were good, but it just didn't feel right to me. It did help to soak up recoil though. Very nice for shooting off the bench...

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I like it.

Will be using that .375 on rabbits this fall.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha... Good luck there. Hope you get some good ones..

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Oh,I will. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I like it.

Will be using that .375 on rabbits this fall.

That's a Bansner stock? Like it mucho on an M70.
Bob

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (907brass, 10Glocks, Algotguns, Akhutr, beefan, 10 invisible), 1,408 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.