Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I really do not like stiff heavy boots. However, I really want protection from rolling an ankle when miles from help. I ended up trying the Salomon Quest 4D GTX. I love these boots! Light, comfortable, water proof, great traction and yet I believe they provide great ankle stability. Clearly boots, more than any other piece of equipment, are a personal choice, but the Salomons are worth a try if that is what you are looking for.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Kenetrek boots gave been excellent so far. The Hard Scramble are my favorite configuration. Been considering trying a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It seems that I always manage to cross some tallus rock or marsh mounds. Those are great places/terrain to break an ankle. So I also need boots with good ankle support.

I'm having trouble wearing out my Kennetrek Hardscrabble boots. They are heavy but they are really durable and they have great ankle support. I assume that sooner or later I will accomplish the mission and when I do I'll probably get a pair of Asolo Ascender GV boots. I like those boots because they have a genuine Vibram sole and a rubber rand that extends around the entire length of the boot. I think they are lighter than My Kennetrek boots. http://www.amazon.com/Asolo-Ascende...4211&sr=1-1&keywords=ascender+gv

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The past few years I've worn Meindl, and I've been positively thrilled with their performance. I've only worn them in cold snowy/icy/wet/muddy conditions, though. I suspect they will prove uncomfortable in dry, desert type conditions, but I just may bring them anyway to test. Very happy with them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm in a similar position. Except when packing, I've always worn lightweight hiking boots, I even have a pair with sneaker type soles, but I've had some plantar faciitous lately and have started looking around.

I picked up a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX's yesterday and put a few miles on them today while turkey hunting. They felt a bit stiff for the first hour but seem like they're breaking in nicely. My feet are pretty good but my knees are tired tonight, however that may not be the fault of the boots.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Rick (and others):

I'm always on the look out for good boots. I currently wear US made Danners for my every day boot and Hanwags for hunting in Wyoming.

The question that I have is: for those of you that have a narrower foot (i.e. B or C width) what boot have you found to work well for a narrower foot. Also, do many of you wear custom orthotics insoles in your boots?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by logger
Rick (and others):

I'm always on the look out for good boots. I currently wear US made Danners for my every day boot and Hanwags for hunting in Wyoming.

The question that I have is: for those of you that have a narrower foot (i.e. B or C width) what boot have you found to work well for a narrower foot. Also, do many of you wear custom orthotics insoles in your boots?

White's will make a last for your feet and a boot that will fit no matter what shape.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by logger
............. Also, do many of you wear custom orthotics insoles in your boots?

My feet were feeling pretty well beat up after wearing any of my boots for any length of time.
In desperation, I tried out that Dr. Scholl's thing where you step on the machine, go through some 4 or 5 "tests", and it tells you what insole to buy...

Their not cheap at near $50.00 bucks a whack, but I've been screwed over by enough podiatrists "cures" that the $50.00 was worth the gamble.

I'll tell you this, after wearing the insoles for 2 weeks, I went back and bought a second pair.
The insoles seem to redistribute my foot pressure to be more even across my entire foot. My foot pain is gone.....

YMMV

Bill

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put green Super Feet insoles in my boots and shoes. They come in different colors for different insteps.
I have pretty flat feet.

These work GREAT for me and give me more arch support.

Virgil B.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't have the ankles of a young girl and I don't pursue Dall Sheep every weekend so 9 times out of 10 I wear a low cut Keen and gaiters.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
I foolishly tossed my last pair of whites survivors instead of rebuild. I personally like meindls of years past.....but qc seems to be slipping. Scarpa, la sportiva and the like are more boot for even money if you can handle the color. .....which I can.

I've been using the Scarpa Escape for 3 years now, top shelf build quality.. A bit heavy for the hike in, but feel great on the way out when the pack can have 80 lbs of meat in it, and there's a couple of miles of blowdown to get through.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
But don't your feet get tired when you're out on long walks looking for the right ammo.?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't have the ankles of a young girl and I don't pursue Dall Sheep every weekend so 9 times out of 10 I wear a low cut Keen and gaiters.

Travis

Fuggin' flat lander.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
But don't your feet get tired when you're out on long walks looking for the right ammo.?

The correct ammo is always on my person.

Somewhere...

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Your person? You use a gun bearer?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had bad ankles since i was a kid.The absolutely best mountain boot I have ever worn are Vasques with the air bob soles.I bought some of the Meindels last fall for a hunt and have to say I was impressed with them.Too me ankle support trumps weight any day!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Zamberlan Elk GTX looks pretty good. I've been looking at the 960 Guide GTX. If I get a chance to try them on and they fit I'll be picking up a pair

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by smokepole

The correct ammo is always on my person.

Somewhere...

Dave

Always the correct ammo, but sometimes the wrong gun...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lowa and Kenetrek for light weight and strong

I have no complaints and the Lowa customer service department know their boots

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I now have a few hundred miles in the Asolo Fugitive GTX's including over 22 miles on this last Saturday. I still like them. They're good for my ankles and give great stability when side-hilling.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 47 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.